Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....................majorly urgent dress panic...........psycho needs help!!!!

(43 Posts)
psychomum5 Wed 27-Aug-08 23:11:01

my girls are in a cabaret (sp??blush) on friday night.

there is not a dress-code as such, but many are dressing up, and as I am also part organiser I need a dressy dress......

I did well, and got one while on hols, in Monsoon reduced from £100 down to £25!!!

tried it on a short time ago to show DH......and the sodding zip is brokenshockangrysad.

now what......I have £24 hours, and a teeny budget...............

help please.

psychomum5 Wed 27-Aug-08 23:11:36

and I did not mean to put in that rogue £ sign on the 24hours bit either......

AvenaLife Wed 27-Aug-08 23:12:34

cant you replace the zip? or sew it on? Take it back?

JackieNo Wed 27-Aug-08 23:12:37

NO point trying mail order, I suspect - either try to find a dressmaker who can repair the zip in time, or get down the shops, not sure we can helpsad. Or could you borrow something from someone? Or dress up an existing outfit with new jewellery?

AvenaLife Wed 27-Aug-08 23:14:10

Where about have you broken the zip? How is it broken?

stealthsquiggle Wed 27-Aug-08 23:15:32

We need details, woman - if the zip is broken near the bottom it can be bodged...

chunkychips Wed 27-Aug-08 23:15:50

dry cleaners sometimes do stuff like that (they do round here anyway). Could you replace the zip yourself with something else, like velcro, poppers, safety pins?

BlueberryBeret Wed 27-Aug-08 23:16:22

how is it broken?

(is that why it was so cheap??)

psychomum5 Wed 27-Aug-08 23:19:05

well....the zip is very verey well concealed, and DH tired to help pull it up......

he pulled too hard on the bit half-way were it was sticking a bit to the fabric (as it was sown in too close IYGWTM)

the the zip split, so the was a mini hole, and then the entire sip pull apart.

<sob>

psychomum5 Wed 27-Aug-08 23:20:26

soooooooo

I had to wiggle out of the dress..........and the zip it caught at the top, but the entire zip is pulled apart.

can it be replaced in 24hrs tho?????

BlueberryBeret Wed 27-Aug-08 23:20:55

so... trying to translate that - the zip can be sewn back in/a new one put in? Is it at the back or under the arm?

BlueberryBeret Wed 27-Aug-08 23:22:40

distraction

psychomum5 Wed 27-Aug-08 23:23:12

under the arm.

can it be done in such a short time tho????

am seriously thinking I go buy the one I felt in love with in debenhams........only it is £90

stealthsquiggle Wed 27-Aug-08 23:23:49

try re-threading the zip - then spot where the weakness is - if it is still possible to wriggle into the dress once that bit is sewn up, then sew it up.

Otherwise get DH DD1 to sew you into the dress on Friday.

psychomum5 Wed 27-Aug-08 23:25:09

this is the one I really love

if this can be found cheaper and similar I will go buy a new one

AvenaLife Wed 27-Aug-08 23:26:12

It might take a while. Unpick the seams that are holding the zip in place, pop to the market tomorrow, take the old zip with you, get a replacemement (same size and legnth) and sew it into the seam where the zip was. Or, you could put it on and ask hubby to sew it up whilst you are wearing it. I prefer the first option.

psychomum5 Wed 27-Aug-08 23:27:09

oooh.....am liking the sewing me in idea.

altho girls will be at hotel for the cabaret.........not sure I trust DH with a needle near my norks and bare skin (cos he will prick mehmm)

BlueberryBeret Wed 27-Aug-08 23:28:48

Under the arm won't be such a huge issue if it isn't 100% neat

AvenaLife Wed 27-Aug-08 23:29:10

How big's the zip? Is it all the way down or just half way? Could you get away with ziping it up as much as you can, hold it with a safety pin and putting a top over the top bit so it looks like a skirt and top?

psychomum5 Wed 27-Aug-08 23:30:34

this is like the one I am talking about

altho it is cream underneath the black IYGWIM.

will sewing me in be ok.......am crap at sewing in zips myself!

psychomum5 Wed 27-Aug-08 23:31:40

the zip goes down to my bum, only obviously down the side.

argh............I am going to need to go buy a new one aren't I?????????

AvenaLife Wed 27-Aug-08 23:31:56

It depends how much he has a steady hand. Is it really tight fitting?

AvenaLife Wed 27-Aug-08 23:33:16

Is the puller upper bit off completely? Shame you can't upload a picture.

Are any of the teeth damaged?

psychomum5 Wed 27-Aug-08 23:33:22

it is very fitted at the top, from the waist up (on my proper waist tho, so from a bit under my boobs).

AvenaLife Wed 27-Aug-08 23:34:42

Can you repair the bottom half and put a safety pin in? Is the zip puller just out of place or off completely?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now