Talk

Advanced search

Glasses: eyes too close together for Goks, need help!

(14 Posts)
Firepile Sun 24-Aug-08 18:26:45

Have had a depressing afternoon in Sopecsavers, seeking frames that don't look ridiculously untrendy for my "idiosyncratic" features.

Can anyone recommend somewhere with a wider range that might suit someone with the following issues:

1. A moderatly strong prescription (so potential problems with lens width.
2. Round eyes too close together
3. Square face with small mouth (so lots of chin at each side)
4. Narrow face where eyes are (need a teen/petite fitting)

I currently wear small black wire oblongish frames. Which are fine as far as they go, but far from hip. Surely I can't be too ugly for trendy glasses? (Be gentle with me, I am having teen angst flashbacks).

Please tell me I'm not alone. I don't want to look like a mid-90s librarian forever...

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Sun 24-Aug-08 18:32:17

Oh Firepile I feel your pain. I feel crap in my current glasses - red squareish wire frames. I don't even wear red hmm I need new ones but can't find anything remotely trendy that suits.

Firepile Sun 24-Aug-08 18:50:22

Rubbish isn't it? Surely someone must make a wider range of styles that don't look dated?

Or are we the glasses untermensch, condemned to a life of crap frames and sniggering opticians' assistants gently suggesting laser eye surgery, contacts or exile to the ugly people's corner?

ClareVoiant Sun 24-Aug-08 18:51:34

i too feel your pain, but i did have some success in specsavers recently after trying on almost every pair in the shop. an assistant helped me the whole time, i did go sans ds though, which really helped. Did you try the designer ones in there, mine are red or dead and theyre quite narrow.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Sun 24-Aug-08 18:53:58

It doesn't help that once I've taken my specs off I can't see clearly enough what I look like in the new frames.

[squinting emoticon]

Firepile Sun 24-Aug-08 19:06:22

Ah yes, Saggar... squinting into the funny angled mirrors. And trying to look round the bloody price stickers (stuck over the plastic lenses).

Alas, my eyes are too close set for any of the Red or Dead ones in my local branch. Are any of the other chains any good? Or am I better off going to an independent?

ClareVoiant Sun 24-Aug-08 19:07:58

ah yes... i was really pleased with my choice of frames, but when they were ftting them (once they had my lenses in), i started to wonder whether they were the same as the frames i'd tried on!

gok Sun 24-Aug-08 19:13:08

how about these?

AllBuggiedOut Sun 24-Aug-08 19:14:29

I've only ever found glasses I'm happy with at independents. You need a really good advisor who knows what s/he is talking about. My current frames are Lindberg, but I've also had some great LA Eyeworks and Oliver Peoples. I can recommend somewhere in London if you live that way.

theSuburbanDryad Sun 24-Aug-08 19:16:26

I have an absurdly small PD (pupillary distance) which means that although i don't have a small head, most frames look wide on me. Imagine my delight when we got Bebe frames in stock at work! grin They are The Best Frames for people with small heads and high prescriptions but they're limited it where you can get them. Some opticians will order in but it might be pricey. Try asking at your local D&A but see if they're a franchise or a group branch first - if they're group then there's no chance they'll have them but a franchise might have!

Good luck!

theSuburbanDryad Sun 24-Aug-08 19:21:34

Also - if you absolutely must go to Specsavers, these aren't too bad.

Firepile Sun 24-Aug-08 19:25:44

Thank you very much, people. Bebe frames look lovely, as do Gok's suggestion (our top tip this pm were half rimmed ones, but assistants lloked dubious and thought I'd be looking at outer lenses being several mm thick)

I wondered if D&A might do better (due to sausage machine marketing campaign implying that they don't just expect customers to fit types).

Am in Glasgow, AllBuggiedOut. People here like their frames blingy! Thanks for the offer.

theSuburbanDryad Sun 24-Aug-08 19:31:46

I love these ones. My boss sold them before I could buy them though! angry

polin Fri 08-Jul-11 15:58:10

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now