Talk

Advanced search

The Hairs on My Chinny Chin Chin --

(8 Posts)
peanutbutterkid Fri 22-Aug-08 20:44:02

- Are white, and too many. [frown]

As I fight nature's urge to turn me into a haggled old crone, is there anything I can do to stop the beard -- electrolysis? How many sessions to kill, say, 50 hairs? IPL is no good as they're white on pale skin.

Jacanne Fri 22-Aug-08 20:56:28

I'm so glad it's not just me - it's very embarrassing when your 5 yr old points them out. I've tried hair removing cream for the face but you then get very fine stubble (which said 5 yr old comments on when you kiss her good night) I am sorely tempted by electrolysis but was sure how effective it is.

peanutbutterkid Fri 22-Aug-08 21:02:37

DH points mine out blush.
I havne't tried creams. When I had IPL they shaved my chin. IPL only works for dark hairs = and frankly, I'm not desperate enough to resort to shaving (yet, /cringe/ ).

Someone must know about electrolysis, have dealt with this delicate matter before?!

uberalice Fri 22-Aug-08 21:09:03

I had electrolysis which worked very well, but I had to have loads of sessions (over a couple of years) and I only had a small number of hairs to tackle, so I'm not sure if I'd recommend it for anything more than that.

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 22-Aug-08 21:12:07

Currently plucking them. Most hairs are blonde, which can't be dealt with by laser, apparently. But the really stubborn buggers are dark. Surely laser will deal with them?

Sorry, wittering here, but a subject close to my heart as I approach 50!

peanutbutterkid Fri 22-Aug-08 21:12:15

What's a small number of hairs? 6? 60? How much do you think you spent in the end, uber?

izzysauntyclaire Fri 22-Aug-08 21:26:57

I was like a nanny goat for years, I'm quite dark and always had a tash going on which I tried bleaching, which turned it bright yellow, trimming it with mega sharp scissors, which always gave me little nicks and then had electrolysis which was bloody agony and seemed to go on forever. My beard grew gradually and started little but soon got big. After having ds1 I decided to get rid of it properly and went for the laser. Cost me 50 per session and I have never looked back. I know it only works on dark hair cos my mother has gone for something called epilpro for years and there isn't really any improvement! I really dont know whats on the market for white hairs with no pigment so that's prob not much help really is it. I've had about fifteen sessions in the last 5 years and I now need to go about once every 6 months. Also if you feel a bit stubbly inbetween sessions it's ok to shave it, infact they actually encourage it, which is mint!

uberalice Fri 22-Aug-08 22:14:50

Well I go to a really lovely beauty therapist who only charges me between £3 and £5 each time I go. Sometimes she was only removing 5 hairs. I suppose £1 per hair is expensive in some ways but compared to other salons who had a £15 minimum charge it was quite reasonable. For the first few months I'd go once a fortnight, but it got less and less as time wore on, and now I hardly go at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now