Talk

Advanced search

Boden Great Cord Coat- anyone?

(21 Posts)
girlnextdoor Tue 19-Aug-08 20:40:52

anyone bought it, sent for it, have an opinion on it?

Reviews on site are mixed- mainly say funny fit- I found that with the velvet coat last year- the 8 was tight across the bust but the shoulders were massive in a size 10.

I am trying to decide whether to send for it or stick with Monsoon's velvet one for only £75. anyone?

wools Wed 20-Aug-08 08:12:12

I've bought one in blue. I like it. I'm an average size 12 and the fit is okay.

girlnextdoor Wed 20-Aug-08 08:34:59

Is the bust smaller compared to the rest of the coat? Is the cord chunky or fine- website photo not clear. Is the blue navy-ish or lighter more royal blue?

wools Wed 20-Aug-08 08:58:27

Hi Gnd. The cord is chunky - elephant cord as opposed to needle cord. The blue is not quite as bright as the photo online but definately not navy. It is quite fitted below the bust and not as tight as last year's velvet coat (have one of these as well). It may be problematic if you have a large bust - not sure. I would say that it is a much more flattering style on the whole. Also it is much warmer. The velvet coat last year was no good for cold weather.

cthea Wed 20-Aug-08 09:02:25

Where is the Monsoon velvet coat? I can't find it on their website. Is it long? How is the collar? I tried the spotty Boden coat and sent it back (thin fabric, difficult length) so I'm looking for something else. I saw one in Coast I liked (£180).

girlnextdoor Wed 20-Aug-08 10:40:04

The monsoon velvet coat is not on the website- saw it in shops- maybe it will come onto the website? it is not thick. thick, but would be okay for autumn.

It is knee length- the collar is round (peter pan collar)it has about 6 buttons down front and is similar in style to Boden cord coat. Fitted waist, half belt at back- quite small fitting- the 8 was too tight for me round waist and the 10 ok.

CountessDracula Wed 20-Aug-08 10:43:36

I tried this coat on the other day
It is divine
I am going to get one from website (they only had a Medium and I need large)

joliejolie Wed 20-Aug-08 10:50:56

I bought the Boden cord coat in blue, but after seeing it yesterday I have swapped for the green. The green was just a really pretty colour and I did not like the blue as it just was so different, almost purple even!

The fit is good, but my body is easy to dress I suppose. The waistline is quite high, but I think that style flatters most figures.

Love mine!

cthea Wed 20-Aug-08 11:21:03

GND - I'll keep an eye out for that coat. It sounds v good price for Monsoon, long & velvet.

CD - how long is that coat? It looks mid-thigh in the photo.

This is the one I liked Coast coat but in black.

everlong Wed 20-Aug-08 16:33:41

I tried the monsoon one on today. It's quite nice but seemed a bit formal for me. It's quite a dark olive green too.

Really like the look of this boden one.

girlnextdoor Wed 20-Aug-08 18:16:22

How funny- I thought the Monsoon coat was informal- for me!

I wouldn't call it olive- it is more a bottle greem imho.

cthea- I saw the Coast coat today too - lovely but don't suit navy and already have black coat.

CountessDracula Wed 20-Aug-08 18:44:25

It's just above the knee on me and I am 5 foot 5ish

everlong Wed 20-Aug-08 19:38:04

I tried the monsoon one on with jeans and uggs and it didn't look quite right and lol at me thinking it was olive, you are probably right, but the changing room was that dingy it did look a bit olivey!

I'm going to order the boden one, it should look ok with jeans???

cocolepew Wed 20-Aug-08 19:40:51

I don't know what the Boden one is like, I'm a Boden virgin, but Per Una has a nice bright red cord coat in. It would be nice with jeans.

everlong Wed 20-Aug-08 20:40:28

Thanks will have a look, although don't really do red!

joliejolie Wed 20-Aug-08 21:13:32

The Boden coat comes in red too and is gorgeous IRL. The colour is much better than the photos show.
I was tempted to buy both the green and red.

everlong Thu 21-Aug-08 09:47:00

Just ordered the green one. The lady on the phone said they were going like hot cakes and that they were much nicer irl.

I'll turn up to school and everyone will have one on.

girlnextdoor Thu 21-Aug-08 13:09:58

I have ordered the brown one- it looks as if it has a red lining in the catalogue- but blue on the websitehmm

girlnextdoor Sat 23-Aug-08 16:30:29

I ordered it and it has come- and I hate it - sorry if you like it!

Got the 10, which was about right though shoulders tiny bit too big...but 8 would be too small across bust- same as in all Boden coats it seems and I am NOT large busted!

I hate the collar- it is too big for someone petite- not in proportion to the rest of the coat.

Going back.....

also ordered the Boyfriend jeans- good fit round waist and bum- not too low cut, but legs too long- does anyone have their jeans professionally shortened so you still end up with t he contrasting stitching on hem?

everlong Sat 23-Aug-08 19:45:58

Mine came today too and it's going back!

I got the 12 and it's too long on the sleeve and on the shoulders. Just not keen.

Oh well might give the urban mac a go. Bit fed up as I thought it would be lovely.

girlnextdoor Sat 23-Aug-08 22:06:30

Disappointing isn't it? i thought it looked like a sack on me- totally unflattering in every respect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now