Talk

Advanced search

Hat or feathery fascinator?

(15 Posts)
NigellaTheOriginal Tue 19-Aug-08 19:34:17

posh wedding. have got the frock and shoes. will be needing a hat. am not a hat person (nor a dress and heels person).
was thinking a feathery fascinator thingy but am a bit clueless as to where on the head to put it.
also my hair is a bit crap. bob-ish, mouse-ish. v straight. would a hat be better if i havn't much hair to tuck fascinator in? or does one just perch it jauntilly on the top?

DisplacementActivity Tue 19-Aug-08 19:50:58

Message withdrawn

2loudboys Wed 20-Aug-08 08:43:43

Why wear anything on your head, if you're not a natural hat wearer? I have gone to lots of weddings without headgear of any kind and the sky hasn't fallen in. And in fact, I'm damn sure I was a lot more comfortable with how I looked than a lot of the other women there. Spend the money on a salon blow-dry instead, and then you won't have a hat/fascinator lurking at the back of your wardrobe that you will never wear again. And in any case, a fascinator will make you look like the Queen/Camilla/Countess of Wessex. And we definitely wouldn't want that, would we hmm.

DisplacementActivity Wed 20-Aug-08 08:46:29

Message withdrawn

cmotdibbler Wed 20-Aug-08 08:53:21

I love hats, and they have the distinct advantage of making your head look brilliant, no matter how your hair is behaving by the time it gets to the photos. I think fascinators can be difficult to wear without looking like you've dumped a load of feathers on your head.

Find your local hat hire place (under milliners in the Yellow pages) and take your outfit along and they'll help you find a nice hat that suits you and the outfit.

NigellaTheOriginal Wed 20-Aug-08 11:09:30

bridzilla wants hats {hmm] shock angry [smila]
so perhaps a proper hat. don'yt want to look like camila with a chicken on my head.

NigellaTheOriginal Wed 20-Aug-08 11:10:00

FGS hmm smile must preview.

Communion Wed 20-Aug-08 11:14:01

There are some really nice large fascinators that are almost hats around at the moemmet that come on a headband so don't need pinning and would look good with a bob.

They have them in MandS in black and beige and alos in Linera in House of Fraser. I tried tham on and wished I was gong to a wedding. they look very fifties, kind of liitle perched feathery circles, at a jaunty angle.

NigellaTheOriginal Wed 20-Aug-08 11:15:50

am liking headband idea - don't think i could cope with pins and stuff falling out all day.
will take a trip to the big smoke and try on lots.

Communion Wed 20-Aug-08 11:34:56

the MS one is on thier website but I can't do links. Put in hats, it's feom Autograph. It looked really good on, i thought.

maidamess Wed 20-Aug-08 11:36:14

I think fascinators have had their day. I would stick a massive flower behind your ear. Or pin fresh flowers in your hair.

NigellaTheOriginal Wed 20-Aug-08 11:45:33

oooh flowers. there's an idea.

MrsJohnCusack Wed 20-Aug-08 12:07:09

what about [[http://www.new.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1094631&l=6de94&id=530661427
this ]] fascinator?

MrsJohnCusack Wed 20-Aug-08 12:08:02

ARSE
this

anyway, not being very helpful, just remembered this pic of my DS

2loudboys Wed 20-Aug-08 20:03:40

Agree that fresh flowers would be nice - if you have long hair, why not have it put up professionally and pin a large gardenia (or something)on one side of a chignon/french roll a la the 1940's and Billie Holliday?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now