Talk

Advanced search

Shall i have my hair cut or not?

(34 Posts)
ImForeverBlowingBuble Sat 16-Aug-08 13:12:33

My dark brown hair is dyed due to being very grey at 32.
It is long(top of boobs) with layers round the front.
Recently the colour i use looks dull and flat and the ends of my hair are looking frizzy and dry,although there arent too many split ends.Although i like having long hair to hide behind i just hate having unhealthy looking hair.
I like those graduated bobs but not sure if im brave enough and would i be able to keep the style? as i am crap with hair,i just wash and dry thats it.
What should i do?

ImForeverBlowingBuble Sat 16-Aug-08 13:30:31

x

Earlybird Sat 16-Aug-08 13:54:47

Yes, why not try a new style? Not the end of the world if you don't like it, as it will grow.

Do you do your own colour, or have it done at a salon?

cornsilk Sat 16-Aug-08 13:55:42

have a gwen from torchwood. (I always say that. I don't fancy her or anything, just like her hair.)

ImForeverBlowingBuble Sat 16-Aug-08 14:03:09

No idea who Gwen is?

I dye it myself as its cheaper and needs doing every 4 weeks.

cornsilk Sat 16-Aug-08 14:08:47

gwen you can't tell there, but her hair is really nicely layered.

ImForeverBlowingBuble Sat 16-Aug-08 14:11:07

Ah but she has a fringe which im not sure of having but without it wouldnt look much different to mine.

Earlybird Sat 16-Aug-08 14:13:21

Is your hair poker straight, or does it have some body/curl? Thick or thin?

Any celebrity hairstyles you admire, and that you think might suit you?

ImForeverBlowingBuble Sat 16-Aug-08 14:16:13

My hair is meduim straight but has a very slight kink in it so i tend to smooth it out with straightners.Also it gets very frizzy if i step out and its damp weather.
I do like the long bobs that graduated up at the back but i think the back bit would be drastic for me to do but without wouldnt look as nice iykwim.

Earlybird Sat 16-Aug-08 14:21:00

How long have you had your current hairstyle?

How long have you had long hair?

ImForeverBlowingBuble Sat 16-Aug-08 14:24:09

I have had long hair most of my adult life apart from one moment of madness where i had it cut very short and it was awful.
The layers round the front i h ave had for about 5 years so dated really.

Buckets Sat 16-Aug-08 14:28:38

Go for a Posh Bob like me, had it done a few weeks ago and it looks great just washed and left to dry (have thick slightly wavy hair.) Chin-length at the front (just long enough to tuck behind ears) and short at the back, can bung on an alice band or clip the front back if needed. Will need commitment to more than a quarterly haircut but day-to-day maintenance is dead easy. The feel of fresh air on the back of the neck is very liberating grin.

MissisBoot Sat 16-Aug-08 14:30:41

I had long brown straight hair with variations on layers round the front for years and finally got the courage to have the chop about a year ago into a graduated bob - my hair is v straight so sometimes I don't have to bother drying it as it falls naturally into that shape - tis v easy to style and I think looks much more up to date for me.

Go for it!

MissisBoot Sat 16-Aug-08 14:31:23

I'm also v grey so find it much easier to dye when its shorter!

ImForeverBlowingBuble Sat 16-Aug-08 14:36:16

Does it annoy you not being able to tie it back?

I have been looking at bobs but cant find quite what i want

MissisBoot Sat 16-Aug-08 14:44:04

No - I just tuck it back behind my ears or clip it to one side. When I had long hair I rarely wore it up anyway.

I'll try and find a pic of mine. It is a chin length graduated bob. I started off with a longer bob but quickly got it cut shorter as it looked so much better. I think a bob looks nice with brown hair too as it can look really sleek and shiny.

Buckets Sat 16-Aug-08 18:47:34

Nope as Missis Boot says it goes behind the ears. Plus little tortoiseshell butterfly clips from Claire's or somewhere are acceptable on ladies over 30 I think. smile.

ImForeverBlowingBuble Sat 16-Aug-08 21:58:20

Thanks bothsmile

Would like to see a pic Missisboot

Can anyone else find/recommend me a nice style?

CouldYouWouldYouWithaGoat Sat 16-Aug-08 22:06:39

go for the chop. i have v. grey hair which i colour. when it was long it was like a unkempt animal on my head. i think you have to accept you have different hair when it goes all grey and wirey. i have shortish hair but long enough to tuck behind my ears. also when it is shorter it spring up a bit which disguises the roots.

ImForeverBlowingBuble Sat 16-Aug-08 22:18:51

anymore

ImForeverBlowingBuble Sat 16-Aug-08 22:55:33

help

MissisBoot Sun 17-Aug-08 20:59:55

still hunting for a photo!

LongLiveCuckoo Sun 17-Aug-08 21:13:14

I thnk Kate Silvertons hair is nice. Do you know who I mean?

ImForeverBlowingBuble Sun 17-Aug-08 21:14:22

No sorry i dont

jellybeans Sun 17-Aug-08 21:21:21

What about this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now