Talk

Advanced search

what's the most you have ever spent on a bra and are designer bras worth it?

(51 Posts)
girlnextdoor Thu 14-Aug-08 19:44:42

that's it really- look longingly at £50-£60 bits of lace...but who buys them and are they worth it- apart from the effect on men in your life.

meglet Thu 14-Aug-08 20:12:31

I got a £45 bra from Rigby and Pellar a few years back. Fitted properly and definately worth it.

girlnextdoor Thu 14-Aug-08 20:15:23

Are you on the large size?

I am only a 32/34B and my best bra at present is M&S push up T shirt bra- great for £12, and I don't need steel suspension they are still pert smile but I would love something sexy and lacy...

MissisBoot Thu 14-Aug-08 20:19:41

I'm a 34E and find that only expensive bras give me a decent shape and enough support. Every now and again I've bought a cheaper bra and its been a complete waste of money.

V envy of pertness sadly no longer the case here

brimfull Thu 14-Aug-08 20:19:56

I pay around £25 for good bra but it's plain.

meglet Thu 14-Aug-08 20:33:28

No, I'm fairly pert too grin.

harpomarx Thu 14-Aug-08 20:37:34

have always bought expensive bras (say £40ish). I have rarely found cheap ones that suit my shape (32dd), I need support but not the wonderbra type. For me they are definitely worth the money.

have to admit though I have recently got some cheaper ones from Debenhams that have been pretty good.

EffiePerine Thu 14-Aug-08 20:38:51

around £60 for a Prima Donna bra

they last forever and are the best ones I've found for my massive (30G pre-pg) norks

CouldYouWouldYouWithaGoat Thu 14-Aug-08 20:40:55

i spent about £40/50 on my wedding bra but i was still breast feeding and needed a good bra. 2 female bra versions of the 'suits you sir' men sort me out with fantastic scaffolding.

cece Thu 14-Aug-08 20:42:46

My everyday ones are about £30-£40. But I am rather large.... Wish I could get them cheaper but sadly there are not many around in my size...

Jewelsandgems Thu 14-Aug-08 21:45:36

Go for the expensive ones! All of mine now are R&P and are the only ones that give great fit, shape and basically make my boobs look fantastic (even after BFng 2 children). Also, I am a 30DD/E so, for me, the normal shops just don't fit the bill.

Oh and wearing something that looks that sexy will make you feel GREAT!!

Piffle Thu 14-Aug-08 21:47:56

i can only buy £40-£50 bras and not pretty scraps of fancy lace neither...
bloody boulder holders

Piffle Thu 14-Aug-08 21:49:21

im getting a reduction soon and i am straight out to agent provocateur for some damned sexy frivolous and sexy fabulous bras
am currently 30HH and hate it!

bran Thu 14-Aug-08 21:51:50

I generally spend £55-£65 for bras, I find Emprinte fit the best. They definitely last much longer than cheaper bras, and I'm quite tough on them, I even stick them in the washing machine rather than hand wash. They are very comfortable too, I've never had a cheap bra that gave a good shape and didn't dig in/rub/chafe.

Dalrymps Thu 14-Aug-08 22:02:22

I spend about £25 per bra, am a 34E so need good support. Cheaper ones just go saggy and are no use after a few wears. I find bravissimo ones good and have just bought 2 pinnache (sp?) ones which are good.

girlnextdoor Thu 14-Aug-08 22:29:31

Oh I am sick envy of all you lot with big boobs- is there no-one out there with a mere B cup???

At least mine still point outwards grin

harpomarx Thu 14-Aug-08 22:45:33

ahem, mine do not point inwards, y'know!

pickie Thu 14-Aug-08 22:51:37

GND have a proper bra fitting and you'll be suprised grin I thought I was a 34B... (whispers am a 34E!!)

I spent between £30-£60 per bra, good ones that add shape to the body and last a long tend to be around the £50-60 mark, a bit of fun that wont last long £30ish

Twinklemegan Thu 14-Aug-08 22:54:27

My most expensive was around £30. That was when I got measured before getting married and discovered I was a 30DD. I made do with 32Ds to give myself a bit more choice of cheaper ones but still had to spend around £20.

After having DS I've now discovered I've gone to a 32C which is FANTASTIC because it means I can buy bras from normal shops. Consequently I recently paid £8 for two in Tesco. They fit really well and I can't fault them.

girlnextdoor Thu 14-Aug-08 22:54:53

pickieYou could be right...I am discovering that I might be a 32" "chest" which will make my cup size larger grin

Twinklemegan Thu 14-Aug-08 22:56:17

Also, can someone please tell me the point of a proper bra fitting? Because all they've ever done for me is briefly measure me, then guess a size and ask me if it's comfortable. It's blatantly obvious whether a bra fits or not so I don't see the point myself.

harpomarx Thu 14-Aug-08 22:59:36

twinkle, the point is that wasn't a proper bra fitting. You need to go somewhere like Selfridges or Rigby and Peller. They take a really long time to find a size and a bra that suits you. To give you an idea, was told I was a 34c by 'fitter' in Debenhams. They all looked like crap. After spending about half an hour in Selfridges I came out with a brilliantly fitting and flattering DKNY bra in a 32dd.

Twinklemegan Thu 14-Aug-08 23:11:39

Yes, it was Selfridges that told me I was a 30DD about 10 years ago. They were right too, it's just I couldn't afford to keep paying Selfridges prices for a weird size.

But they did only do what I do myself. ie check the cup fits, the back fits and doesn't ride up, etc. And to make sure you get one that fits right now on the biggest setting so it allows for being able to take it in when it stretches. If there's more to it well I stand corrected, but I won't be travelling 150 odd miles to Edinburgh to go to an expensive shop just for a bra. No way. smile

harpomarx Thu 14-Aug-08 23:30:13

tbh I think once you've had a decent fitting you probably can do it yourself twinkle, it's knowing what you're looking for that helps. They did also point me in the direction of the right style of bra for my boobs too.

bran Fri 15-Aug-08 15:26:20

Has anyone else found that whole thing about adding 4 or 5 inches to your chest measurement to get your bra size to be total rubbish? My 42D bras used to fit perfectly but I've lost some weight so both bra and cup size are now a bit too big, but my chest measurement is 40 inches and around the boobs it's 46 so I ought to be wearing a 44C according to official measurements. But that's clearly way to big if my size 42 bras are riding up at the back. shock Does that measurement system actually work for anyone? My previous method of just trying them on to see what they look like is much more accurate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now