Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

any beauty therapists around? or beauticians? which name do you prefer btw

(12 Posts)
nailpolish Thu 14-Aug-08 13:15:18

i have decided i want to go back to college and do beauty therapy

i hate nursing, its really really getting me down and i regret not doing beauty therapy - its what i wanted to do when i left school - but nursing gave me a way out of home - i wanted to leave home badly - anyway enough about taht

dd2 is starting school NEXT year so i will be able to do FT courses then

should i do some evening classes this year? im DESPERATE to start

would it be a waste of time/money? doing evenign classes in nails or wahtever this year? does the ft course cover all taht?

both my local colleges offer HNC and HND beauty therapy - do i have to do a course before i can get on to the HNC? both colleges offer Introduction to beauty therapy etc but i was hoping since i already have a diploma i could skip them> i m n ot getting any younger!

and of course during all this i will have to work shifts at work to earn some money

TIA

nailpolish Thu 14-Aug-08 13:17:11

one of muy local colleges has a salon that the students work in - its open FT and it looks great - brand new - the other college im not sure if it has a salon for the public - which would be best?

the 2nd one that im not sure about has an open day tomorrow so im going along for a nosy

nailpolish Thu 14-Aug-08 13:32:53

Flier Thu 14-Aug-08 13:35:15

sorry can't help NP, I'd suggest that the college with the salon attached would be great as you'd get loads of experience that way (and perhaps some money). I'm sure you'll find out all you need to know at the open day.

nailpolish Thu 14-Aug-08 13:36:22

thats flier smile

nailpolish Thu 14-Aug-08 13:36:37

that should be THANKS (not thats)

Flier Thu 14-Aug-08 16:04:56

bump

princessparkle Thu 14-Aug-08 18:27:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BaDaBing Fri 15-Aug-08 16:03:50

In the mean time you could sign up for a massage class or some other kind of holistic therapy (aromatherapy, indian head massage etc) A lot of beauty therapists do these course once qualified so don't see why you can't do it the other way around.

Good luck with the career change I start my diploma in Holistic Therapies in 2 weeks, can't wait!

bluebell1 Fri 15-Aug-08 19:40:30

Hi im a fully qualified beauty therapist.I would say go for the college with salon attached and wait to do the full time course as it covers everything.However,i have been a therapist for ten years and am about to change career.It is badly paid and really hard work.Anymore questions feel free to ask.xxx

Maria1000 Mon 14-Sep-09 14:27:11

Hi, I am due to start Lev 3 Holistic Therapy tomorrow. I'm getting the impression it is hard work and there is no money in it. Is this true? My career so far has been in Customer Services.

notjustapuppymum Mon 14-Sep-09 14:57:25

Hi, I'm a qualified beauty therapist and make up artist and I am also qualified to assess.

Beauty Therapists are different to Beauticians! Therapists have in depth anatomy and physiology knowledge behind the treatments they are doing and offer therapies like massage whereas Beauticians 'just' paint nails, wax etc.

As part of your course, working in a salon environment such as the one your college has.

You probably wouldn't be able to get straight onto a massage course as one poster here has suggested as for a massage qualification you usually need a relevant pre-requisite, namely a qualification in Anatomy & Physiology.

I would just wait and do the whole course.

You should speak to the college though really as they will be able to advise you on their entry requirements.

Agree with bluebell that standard therapists positions are very poorly paid and very hard work.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now