Talk

Advanced search

Is it worth shelling out for "salon" hair products? Redken, Keratase, Paul Smith and the like

(13 Posts)
cyanarasamba Wed 13-Aug-08 14:08:52

When it comes to skincare I'm sold on Clinique and Clarins (well for moisturiser at least) but for my hair I normally just get whatever's on offer - Vo5, Aussie, L'oreal, etc.

Until yesterday my hair resembled a brillo pad. Yesterday I shelled out over £20 on a new shampoo and conditioner. Today it seems silky, soft and kind of "swishy". I can't stop touching it and keeping throwing my head around in front of the mirror. I have just been out in the foul weather and barely a hint of frizz.

At the moment it definitely feels worth it for a month of good hair days but will this effect last?

And is there anywhere to get this sort of thing online for a bit less [hopeful emoticon]?

Twinkie1 Wed 13-Aug-08 14:10:44

If you change your shampoo your hair will look and feel different no matter how expensive the brand is - I switch between Molten Brown and Aussie when my hair starts getting a bit lank and it sorts it out straight away.

cyanarasamba Wed 13-Aug-08 14:11:58

Hmm but switching between the cheap brands doesn't seem to do the same thing. Not tried Molton Brown though....

TwoWashTutter Wed 13-Aug-08 14:12:52

will let you know

my last trip to the hairdressers set me back £29

for shampoo and conditioner only shock

TheProvincialLady Wed 13-Aug-08 14:16:09

For me the difference is huge. I usually use the Redken stuff but lately have been buying Aveda as I can't get to the salon that does Redken as easily. If I use ordinary stuff from the chemists I get a very itchy scalp and my hair goes dry, no matter how intensive or moisturising they are supposed to be.

poorbuthappy Wed 13-Aug-08 14:19:12

My hair is never better than when I use Keratase, unfortunately it is treat I can no longer justify...

CantSleepWontSleep Wed 13-Aug-08 14:25:35

I love my Kerastase, but shouldn't really use it as it's part of Nestle blush.

I do think good products make a difference though, yes.

dexter73 Wed 13-Aug-08 15:04:16

cyanarasamba - what shampoo and conditioner did you buy?

MissisBoot Wed 13-Aug-08 15:11:14

I'd recommend splashing out on a decent conditioner if you can only afford either shampoo or conditioner - I use Paul Mitchell the detangler and it makes my hair feel really soft and only have to use a v small blob.

SqueakyPop Wed 13-Aug-08 15:21:08

Salon brands aren't any different from supermarket ones - they may have different packaging and perfumes and other imagery ingredients, but other than that, there is nothing magical about them. The salon names simply do not have the research budget to come up with something amazing.

PinkPussyCat Wed 13-Aug-08 15:21:50

Yes what brand was it that gave you the 'swishy' effect? Would love to know!

cyanarasamba Wed 13-Aug-08 15:34:31

<swishes back in>

Sorry got carried away in front of the mirror...

I bought Redken - think it was called "Smooth it down" or some such.

Squeaky - are you saying might as well buy the cheap stuff or is there anything better out there?

Oh, and can anyone recommend anything for a stiff neck??

TheProvincialLady Wed 13-Aug-08 16:54:44

Squeaky I agree with you but it definitely smells better and is better for my poor old scalp - don't ask me why! I would be happier with cheapo stuff if it did the same job for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now