Talk

Advanced search

Childrens glasses

(70 Posts)
Chozzer Mon 11-Aug-08 21:33:46

My four year old son needs glasses....can anyone recommend an opticians that have great styles for children?
Thanks.....I am a bit sad for him, but he is pleased to look like Daddy....hope this lasts!

largeginandtonic Mon 11-Aug-08 21:37:12

4 out of 6 of my dc wear glasses. I go to Specsavers (quite good range) and an independant opticians.

I would say Specsavers for you as he is young and will like the themed glasses they do. Scooby doo, Sponge Bob, Action Man, Mr Men. All very sweet and the kids love them. They are very good in there with breakages etc.. always fix and straighten them up while smiling smile

TheDevilWearsPrimark Mon 11-Aug-08 21:38:31

Should have gone to Specsavers...

Jokes aside, they are brilliant, loads of choice and an 'inclusive' price, so what you see is what you get.

tortoiseSHELL Mon 11-Aug-08 21:39:12

Go to your closest! We went to a local independent one and the glasses are fine, but it is so convenient when they need bending back to shape!

TheDevilWearsPrimark Mon 11-Aug-08 21:39:21

I personally use an independent opticians for tests and take my prescription there.

largeginandtonic Mon 11-Aug-08 21:41:17

All childrens glasses are totally freeeeee! Thank goodness or we would be bankrupt wink

They are great and pick your closest as you will be in there alot. The satff nod and smile when i walk in now blush

largeginandtonic Mon 11-Aug-08 21:41:21

All childrens glasses are totally freeeeee! Thank goodness or we would be bankrupt wink

They are great and pick your closest as you will be in there alot. The satff nod and smile when i walk in now blush

largeginandtonic Mon 11-Aug-08 21:41:59

Oooops

Sidge Mon 11-Aug-08 21:42:54

My DD gets her glasses from an independent opticians. They have a large range of 'free' glasses to choose from and will repair and replace them as needed (which is quite often as she seems to bend them all out of shape!)

I think you'll find most places much of a muchness and plenty of choice.

LynetteScavo Mon 11-Aug-08 21:42:55

I swear by vision express.

I would advise gong for the free ones, if he'll agree. DS went through, on average 10 pairs a year. blush

Sidge Mon 11-Aug-08 21:43:42

Sorry to hijack - hello LG&T not long now eh??!

largeginandtonic Mon 11-Aug-08 21:49:14

grin Sidge grin

Am a leeeetle bit excited, how bout you?

He is coming home to gigantic wife, when he left i was sporting a cute baby bump. It is now erm... not grin

Sidge Mon 11-Aug-08 21:52:16

How many weeks are you now?

I am very excited despite only having one night with him before we go our separate ways (for 10 days, not permanently!)

Chozzer Mon 11-Aug-08 21:52:36

Wow quick replies and good advice thanks......oh my god at 10 pairs a year.....are they replaced free each time!!

largeginandtonic Mon 11-Aug-08 21:55:19

They are replaced free thank the lord!!!

One night noooooooooo, are you off for a break? I could do with one of those!

I am 18 weeks now, it is flying by < sacred >

Sidge Mon 11-Aug-08 21:56:04

Yes chozzer, if damaged or if their presciption changes they are replaced free.

They won't replace them if you just fancy a different pair.

largeginandtonic Mon 11-Aug-08 21:56:07

Will mail you tomorrow Sidge the baby is crying.

Good luck with the glasses!

Chozzer Mon 11-Aug-08 21:59:01

Thanks everyone...I should post more often
My son is a twin...now just to get my other boy to understand that he doesn't need them!

Sidge Mon 11-Aug-08 22:01:29

Have emailed you LG&T to save hijacking this thread smile

largeginandtonic Tue 12-Aug-08 07:47:30

Mine are identical wins and it was a nightmare as they both wanted them! Luckily hmm the other one followed suit about 9 months later, followed by dd at 4, the ds#3 at 4...

The last 2 seem ok so far though!

Bunch Tue 12-Aug-08 08:23:06

Sorry for hijacking with a stupid question but how did you know your DS needed glasses? Did you just decide to get him tested? Me and my DH have worn glasses from very young and were wondering when to get DD8 and DS4 checked.

Crocky Tue 12-Aug-08 08:34:18

Bunch, I had ds tested when he was young because he kept walking into things. His eyes were fine at the time but he then got called back as his name was now on their books and it was a couple of years later when they found he was long sighted.
Because you and dh both wear glasses I would get the kids checked.
My shortsightedness wasn't picked up until I was a teenager and it caused me real problems for a couple of years before that, I just didn't understand why.

SueW Tue 12-Aug-08 08:48:58

All children's glasses are free? Not in our opticians - there are some styles you have to pay extra for, they deduct the value of the NHS voucher. If I take DD she's only allowed to choose from the freebies. DH allows her free choice, but then he always chooses new frames for himself and ends up spending hundreds whereas I always ask them to fit new lenses into my existing frames.

tiredemma Tue 12-Aug-08 08:51:28

We get Ds2's from Specsavers, he has some 'Mr Bump' ones from the Mr Men Range.

4andnotout Tue 12-Aug-08 08:54:24

I agree not all childrens glasses are free, they will deduct the value of the voucher in our local opticians but they are still pricy so we take dd1 to specsavers. We have always had excellent service from them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now