Talk

Advanced search

Can someone recommend a nice outfit for DS aged 2.5 to wear to a wedding

(18 Posts)
rookiemater Mon 11-Aug-08 15:54:38

We are going to my cousins wedding in a months time, and just realised I am going to be away for all of the weekends between now and then.

The majority of DS clothing is very casual, I hate ironing so its mostly long sleeved casual t shirt material tops. He has a couple of nice shirts so I thought maybe one of those would do, but do you think ordinary trousers are ok or does he need something posher ?

I'm not a big fan of small boys in those Monsoon type suits, but I think we need something dressier than his normal stuff. We do live in Scotland so I'm toying with the idea of a kilt, but feel this may be twee beyond belief.

Any ideas anyone ? Oh and he won't be wearing it that often, so not too expensive if possible.

oopsadaisyangel Mon 11-Aug-08 15:57:13

Our DS wore a kilt to my sisters wedding when he was about the same age and he looked amazing - only thing was he was too warm and had it off as soon as the meal was over - ran around in his shirt and pants!! grin

savoycabbage Mon 11-Aug-08 15:59:43

I would put him in a shirt and trousers. Surely to god nobody will be assessing the trousers of a two year old!

Why don't you get him a buttonhole type affair to pin on him and this extra cuteness may distract the eye of any critics. Of course it will only last two minutes...

rookiemater Mon 11-Aug-08 16:04:06

Yes I was a bit worried about the whole kilt/access to underwear thing.

He is still in nappies and unfortunately the only thing attempted potty training seems to have done is to make him hate wearing nappies and try to pull them off when possible and get access to his magical penis.

I don't think we'd be very popular if he stole the limelight that way.

nailpolish Mon 11-Aug-08 16:12:48

tbh i dont really like small boys in kilts

i think a shirt and normal trousers will be fine. i dont see the need to buy anything new. the important thing is he has fun and youre relaxed - not worrying about getting food down his ultra expensive new shirt or ripping the knees

have fun! i love weddings

rookiemater Mon 11-Aug-08 16:17:03

Thanks naily. You not at the meet up eaither ? DS having a really long nap this afternoon, I should wake up him, but am enjoying the peace !

Sorry to be so faffy and indecisive, I just don't want to let our side down, its a v posh wedding, if the cost of the crockery on the wedding list is any indication.

Do you think ordinary shoes will be ok as well ? We have three pairs, one pair flashy white trainers, one pair flashy black sandals and one pair jungle printed Doodles with a lion on one toe and a monkey on the other.

I'm thinking the Doodles are the best option as they don't flash.

rookiemater Mon 11-Aug-08 16:18:16

Oh just remembered we also have a smashing new pair of Paddington Bear wellington boots, but that wouldn't be quite right I suppose ?

LadyOfTheFlowers Mon 11-Aug-08 16:19:32

Took both boys to wedding last weekend hmm one aged 2 one aged 3.
Got them both a shirt and tie combo and trousers from BHS.
Shirts with ties £11 each ('Suited & Booted' on the labels and both a pair of £4 / £3.50 school trousers in black.
Not bad at all for under £30.

nailpolish Mon 11-Aug-08 16:20:09

i am just back from the meetup

we got drenched to the skin and dds are in the bath

id go with the doodles too. i have seen those ones - theya re so cute! give them a bit of a clean, put him in a smart shirt and his usual trousers and i am sure that will be fine.

the important thing i think at these things with children is that they are happy and relaxed (ie not in uncomfy faffy clothes) and you are then relaxed

MrsMattie Mon 11-Aug-08 16:20:10

M&S Autograph sometimes do some nice formal wear for toddlers.

nailpolish Mon 11-Aug-08 16:21:19

ifhe wants to wear his wellies then let him

my dd2 wanted to wear her snow white dressing up outfit to a wedding once and i though "well it IS a dress"

she was happy and thereofre so was i!

rookiemater Mon 11-Aug-08 16:22:39

I think you are right naily. I had a look at some Monsoon and Next suits on Ebay and they just look wrong to me.

I shall discuss with DH if we do end up going formal sounds like a trip to BHS is in order (thanks Lady) either that or Ebay again.

nailpolish Mon 11-Aug-08 16:24:26

bhs have nice childrens clothes i agree

nailpolish Mon 11-Aug-08 16:27:17

tha last wedding i was at i remember a little boy had on some smartish trousers and a t shirt and a tank top

i rmember thinking how smart he was. tank tops can be very smart but laso comfy for lo's

joliejolie Mon 11-Aug-08 18:18:26

Monsoon boys have a really cute little linen waistcoats and trousers. My ds wore them last year to a wedding and everyone raved about how handsome he looked. Best of all though is that he was comfortable!

I second tank tops. They can look really smart under a nice shirt!

fin42 Mon 11-Aug-08 19:21:57

We went to a wedding with our ds last september, it wasn't a really posh affair but he did carry thye rings. He wore some linen shorts, a white shirt and a tank top and looked lovely while still being comfy. It wasn't very warm but if it had been I thought he at least had the option of taking the tank top off.

rookiemater Mon 11-Aug-08 19:32:08

Sounds fairly unanimous, a tank top with what he has already, liking that idea as a tank top can be used on multiple occasions.

joliejolie Mon 11-Aug-08 20:18:29

If you spend a bit more on a nice tank top in one size bigger, he can wear it with anything and for longer. I paid £30 for a Ralph Lauren tank top and my ds wears it over a Hennes shirt and it looks as if he is wearing an entire designer outfit. I can pass it down to my other ds, so not a bad investment in my case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now