Talk

Advanced search

anyone over 40 still wear redlipstick I need your advice please

(11 Posts)
firstmum45 Mon 11-Aug-08 08:12:50

In my thirties I used to wear bright lippy all the time (reds fushia pinks etc etc) it used to be my sort of trademark.

As i have aged I have tended to wear more muted shades/nudes etc but I often feel frumpy and dowdy.

Yesterday on the train I saw a women, no spring chicken and she was a normal size possibly 14/16 and she looked so well groomed.

She had just a light tan everywhere dark sunglasses no make up except for a fantastic red lipstick.

So I thought thats the look I want for my hols did not have the nerve to ask her about the lippy grin.

Can this be done? if you are in your forties and wear red lippy please tell what brand and shade do you wear?

I threw all my old red lippies out some months ago to be honest they were so old some doing back to 1990 FGS!!!!! and the textures were not right for me now too thick and mask like.

Need to find one without any expensive mistakes. Thanks all

Megglevache Mon 11-Aug-08 08:19:35

Go to House of Fraser and get a Mac/Chanel lady to apply some for you. (be warned they all look a bit scarey Mary!)

I have a Mac lip pencil in I think it's called Redd and I have a couple of the lipsticks. (Russia/Mac red)? I really like the texture but it's a very personal thing isn't it.

IMO going to the counter and testing them avoids pricey mistakes. I have made many in the past grin

Megglevache Mon 11-Aug-08 08:23:15

this looks lovely (ooh I want to go lippy shopping)
here

firstmum45 Mon 11-Aug-08 08:33:32

Thanks Megglevache you are right must go and try. I'm sure the formulas have moved on in the last 17 years!!!!!

I used prefer a poppy red when I last wore one can't do the really dark reds as quite fair and they do not suit my colouring.

This is the problem I found in general with make up. As you get older less is more but it has to be the right stuff for you and the state of your complexion at that time.

I even have a vary my foundation throughout the year hoping to try THE Chanel one in the autumn when holiday tan goes.

claudiaschiffer Mon 11-Aug-08 08:38:00

I am 40 and still wear red lippy - when I can be bothered that is. I also love Origins lip stain. Which gives a very natural but deep red/pink glow.

southeastastra Mon 11-Aug-08 08:48:30

i have a great red from barry m it's no 121.

it looks quite bright but once you blot it looks better. lasts for ages too.

claudiaschiffer Mon 11-Aug-08 09:42:29

here is the Origins thingy I was going on about. I cannot recommend it highly enough 'tis absolutely fab.

claudiaschiffer Mon 11-Aug-08 09:44:03

Apparently it is for your cheeks . . . who knew blush.

But it is great for lips too. I would go for the Raspberry shade, nice 'n pinky/red. I haven't tried any of the others though.

ranting Mon 11-Aug-08 10:05:02

Well I am not quite 40 (only 3 years to go) and I wear bright red lippy, I use the Lancome one, with a bougeous liner just so it doesn't bleed. But your lips have to be in top condition to use it as it's a bit on the dry side, I just put vaseline on a small toothbrush and rub it over my lips to prime them once a week.

macherie Mon 11-Aug-08 10:53:19

Clinique have one called Almost Lipstick, a lipstick/gloss that comes in a lovely red and is easy to wear.

mypersonalstylist Mon 11-Aug-08 13:59:01

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now