Talk

Advanced search

glasses problem

(15 Posts)
mimsum Fri 08-Aug-08 23:11:22

I've finally accepted that I do really need to wear my reading glasses for anything which involves reading (doh), computer etc. As my eyes have got a lot worse over the last year I find I need to wear them to read labels on things and not just for reading books, but obviously I don't need them the rest of the time so I'm spending a lot of time with a pair of reading glasses propped up wonkily on my head which is so not a good look blush

how do my fellow middle-aged-long-sighted-reading-glasses-wearers deal with this style dilemma? I've seen people have them on cords around their necks but they're usually about 70 and I'm not going to resort to that just yet hmm so any other ideas?

AvenaLife Fri 08-Aug-08 23:13:33

Take them off and hide them. That's what I do. grin

mimsum Fri 08-Aug-08 23:20:23

then I lose them, then I have to squint and my arms are no longer long enough to hold things as far away as I need them grin

AvenaLife Fri 08-Aug-08 23:22:21

Don't do the cords, putting them on your head puts them out of shape. Put them on top of the tv/next to your computer.

MrsBadger Fri 08-Aug-08 23:24:52

I have the opposite problem - am shortsighetd so need them for driving, television, walking around etc but not for computer, reading etc
I (variously) put mine on my head, hook them into my neckline, put them on the desk in meetings etc, or put them away (soft glasses case in every bag)

or wear my lenses...

MrsBadger Fri 08-Aug-08 23:25:57

oh and buying frames with springloaded arms helps them not get knackered by putting them on your head - test when you buy

gigglewitch Fri 08-Aug-08 23:29:50

defo recommend doing the Head-Test (much to opticians disapproval) when choosing specs grin

chipmonkey Fri 08-Aug-08 23:50:50

You don't have to put them on your head! Just pull gently on one of the sides; if it's spring-loaded it will spring back into position.
mimsum, is your distance vision blurred when you are wearing your glasses?

mimsum Sat 09-Aug-08 08:44:35

chipmonkey yes, distance vision horribly blurry with glasses on, but near vision getting increasingly worse so I'm constantly putting them on and off (and losing them ...)

and will get springloaded arms next time

so there isn't a magic glasses panacea which I've been missing then? hmm

theSuburbanDryad Sat 09-Aug-08 09:02:47

Ask your optician about varifocals - it means you can wear them all the time if you want to (and why wouldn't you want to wear your glasses all the time? says the person who's had to wear specs since age 6 wink) but it means you don't have problems with taking them on and off or putting them down and losing them! You can get varifocals which are clear lens at the top and have a very wide reading area which means they're perfect for using on the computer and for close work.

mimsum Sat 09-Aug-08 11:42:47

I thought varifocals made you feel a bit seasick hmm I don't actually mind wearing my glasses - ds2 says I look like a "proper mummy at work" wink

chipmonkey Sat 09-Aug-08 12:05:37

mumsum, the vast majority of people get on fine with varifocalsafter an initial adjustment period.

chipmonkey Sat 09-Aug-08 12:06:45

Sorry, mimsum.

lou33 Sat 09-Aug-08 12:08:05

i just keep mine in my bag in their case, and get tehm out when needed

theSuburbanDryad Sat 09-Aug-08 15:42:03

mimsum - make sure you go for a varifocal which is specifically designed for using mainly for reading/intermediate work (try a Hoya ID or an Essilor Physio or any high end varifocal).

I don't suppose you know what your reading add is do you? It'll be the bit after your main prescription and will look something like +1.50 or whatever. If you have anything above a +2.00 you'll get a little more distortion, but it should still be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now