Talk

Advanced search

Do you dye your own hair? Brunettes!

(18 Posts)
jojosmaman Tue 05-Aug-08 14:19:08

For the past year I have been a brunette from peroxide blonde and I am very happy with it. The only thing is that I have it done at the haridressers normally but the time before last I was persuaded to have some "subtle" highlights at the front but he basically put blonde streaks at the front so the last time i just had a colour all over to hide them. That was a few months ago and it has faded slightly and the front looks slightly gingery now so I want to dye it before a wedding I have on sat but can't afford another hair do so was considering getting one myself shock

So, any tips? good brands? Nice shades? Or would you advise against it? I have never dyed my own hair, always gone to the hairdressers!

cocolepew Tue 05-Aug-08 14:23:32

Don't go too dark as it can look flat, there's no problem dying over the blonde I do it all the time. Permanent would be best, some say not too be used over bleach, Castings etc. Nice and Easy or Boots own make would be fine. Put vaseline around your hairline and over your ears so it doesn't dye your skin.

SmallShips Tue 05-Aug-08 14:25:30

I usually go to the hairdressers, but a couple of night before my wedding, i did it myself with a semi permanent brown colour in the boots range (recommended to me as the only one that doesnt go ginger or have red hints to it). Can't remember the exact shade, but it went on well and looked really good after.

jojosmaman Tue 05-Aug-08 14:49:38

If it goes badly wrong and I went over to my hairdresser with my tail between my legs would it be rectifiable?!!

Was wanting to be a nice rich brown, not goldeny or reddy, do the pictures on the packs really represent the colour that comes out?

brimfull Tue 05-Aug-08 14:58:21

I use a semi-loreal I think,it always comes out darker than expected but gradually fades a bit to a nice rich brown.
Choose a shade lighter than you think.

I would go for semi -permanent.

cocolepew Tue 05-Aug-08 15:01:42

Something like this would be fine. The colours on the packs are close. It can't go wrong unless you're a complete numpty. Make sure you stick to the exact time, it always looks darker when it's on,so don't be tempted to wash it off sooner. It wouldn't have had time to 'take'.

Mikafan Tue 05-Aug-08 15:01:44

I use Nice N Easy Permanent in Natural Medium Brown and I love the conditioner it comes with

cocolepew Tue 05-Aug-08 15:02:54

A semi-permanent will fade off the blonde bits too quickly.

jojosmaman Tue 05-Aug-08 17:28:58

Cheers everyone, will nip off to get one, think a permanent as I am feeling brave, will let you know if I end up looking like a goth! (no offence to goths, its just not the look I am going for at the village hall wedding!)

FoghornLeghorn Tue 05-Aug-08 17:33:45

I always always colour my own hair but I use the stuff they use in salons. I just buy it from the wholesalers and DH does it for me. I brought everything I needed yesterday for £26ish and that will last me months and months and months.

This is what I use. I buy dark brown and chestnut and mix the 2 together so I get a dark but warm/rich colour

shreddies Wed 06-Aug-08 09:39:15

That stuff looks nice Foghorn. How does it grown out/fade? Last time I got a semi colour at the hairdresser I got horrific roots when it grew out. I've just used this- as recommended by another mumsnetter, 'fraid I can't remember who. I do quite like it, none of the dreaded orangey undertones, but it is permanent.

jojosmaman Wed 06-Aug-08 19:44:09

Sounds a bit professional for me Foghorn, I can barely dry my hair!

I got a "nice and easy one" in shade "light Ash Brown" as it looked like the shade I want. Just done the allergy test and strand test so now have to wait and see if I have a nasty reaction before popping it on! (ps does everyone else wait 48hrs on allergy test or is 24hrs going to be ok?)

Aefondkiss Wed 06-Aug-08 20:57:52

John Frieda does a "glaze" that I use, which is great, it can be used daily, gives a top up of colour, leaves my hair feeling great, might be a good stop gap for you rather than a dye?

the colour builds up gradually, the more you use it. you shampoo/ condition as normal then put the glaze (such a poncetastic term) on and leave it on for 3 minutes +, I don't use it every wash but I like it, I have started using the brunette conditioner by John Frieda too, which is also good.

I usually do a very cold rinse when I have got all the product out, to make my hair even glossier.

Hassled Wed 06-Aug-08 21:02:20

I've been dying my hair out of a box for years and a) they all seem to be much of a muchness in terms of quality and b) box colour is pretty accurate.

The little sachets of conditioner are a bit pathetic if you have thick hair like mine, but that's my only gripe. And make sure whatever you're wearing has buttons - don't try to lift a top you care about over your head. I have a disgustiing old hoodie that I just use for hair-dyeing .

Aefondkiss Wed 06-Aug-08 21:04:28

this

NeverReady Fri 08-Aug-08 12:22:18

foghorn - I'm pretty sure that's what my hairdresser uses. I would love to do it myself as I'm sick of paying such a ridiculous amount of money every six weeks. Do you need to mix it with peroxide (or anything else)? And if so, can you buy that on the site too?

serant Fri 08-Aug-08 12:32:38

Try Aldi, i use a chocolate brown, lovely.£2,50

Tortington Fri 08-Aug-08 12:33:51

i just found out that holland and battat do a natual one - i have used it and its pretty good - but it doesn't last as long as the chemicle dyes.

i ham having mine done at hairdresser as dont want dye over bathroom

did my daughters last week in bac garden - shit - you - not - with hosepipe grin call the nspcc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now