Talk

Advanced search

Maternity clothes advice please

(11 Posts)
thehouseofmirth Mon 04-Aug-08 21:27:16

I seem to remember when pg with DS that the over bump jeans I had required me to constantly "hoick" them up. I am very skinny (when not pg, obviously!) and can't imagine how underbump ones would stay up at all on me so should I just avoid jeans this time? I had a pair of wide-legged viscose-y Blooming Marvellous trousers which had a roll over waist band that I could pull up pretty much to my chest and they stayed up well but I hated them. I thought I might get some maternity leggings, can anyone recommend some that stay up?

Also, where is good for maternity clothes now? When I was pg before I was limited to Mothercare, BM & JJMB for everyday stuff but I understand there's more around now in mainstream shops but don't know where.

giddykipper Mon 04-Aug-08 21:30:18

I'm ashamed to say I resorted to braces at times blush

Gap have just started a range but can't comment on it, Top Shop is good, Dorothy Perkins isn't bad and is cheap. H&M is very good.

ninja Mon 04-Aug-08 21:31:57

For Jeans

The under the bump ones with a wide jersey band seem the best.

Over the bump good for right at the end.

Under the bump that try to look like jeans fall down in an annoying fashion imo

I have a pair of calf-length black cotton trousers form DP's that are under the bump and stay up really well.

Hope that's some hel;p!

feedmenow Mon 04-Aug-08 21:32:50

Under bump fall down constantly!

If you don't mind second hand, check ebay for maternity clothes bargains...

thehouseofmirth Mon 04-Aug-08 21:33:25

There were points in previous pg when I began to understand why some women wear dungarees!

nobodysfool Mon 04-Aug-08 21:43:29

I have found Next Directory fantastic.You can order loads of styles,try them on in the comfort of your own home then return the unwanted ones.

ilovemydog Mon 04-Aug-08 21:46:27

Red Herring Maternity at Debenhams is good for casual.

Jewelsandgems Mon 04-Aug-08 22:19:07

I got both under bump (seraphine) and did spend alot of time hoicking. But they did look very smart, and sold them on ebay for a very very good price.

Also had some over bump from H&M (kind of boyfriend style) and these were so comfortable I loved them to bits. And were great for postnatel as gentle on tummy and held everything in.

Who not go for one of each? But, if you are wanting the more expensive ones like seraphine, perhaps try ebay first.

{p.s also bought some under bump from isabella oliver and they were HIDeous - cheaply made, bad fit, expensive)

DonutMum Tue 05-Aug-08 10:50:40

Under bump a bloody nightmare! I'm not sure if it's because I carried low and have a (relatively) small bum so nothing to hold them up with. Actually like the idea of braces. Will remember for next time wink.
I've got a pair of navy marl mamas&papas maternity leggings that I got off e-bay. That's your best bet really instead of schlepping round the shops. Next is good, as is Seraphine. Isabella Oliver a bit overpriced really but great residual value on e-bay. Picchu Maternity is just as good quality but a bit cheaper.

bikerunski Wed 06-Aug-08 12:40:29

I love my Seraphine cords (underbump, with a wide jersey band instead of wastband). Gap Maternity rocks! H&M are good too, and change thier stock all the time. For tops, all maternity tops seem too big on me (I am 34 weeks now) and I have just been wearing stretchy lycra Tees from Primark and Gap.

I also have Next underbump jeans which are OK.

If you're on a budget, I have seen quite nice stuff in Peacocks and New Look.

hettie Wed 06-Aug-08 14:13:59

benneton do a maternity range too- when I was preggers twas only in london but now most shops..... I found underbump with jeans (and they had a strechy belt with them- from next) and I am too am skinny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now