Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

following on from young micegg's thread, where do you 45+ year olds buy clothes?

(36 Posts)
lilolilmanchester Thu 31-Jul-08 21:54:51

??please.

lilolilmanchester Thu 31-Jul-08 22:22:41

So, either I'm the only 45+ on MN tonight, or there actually isn't anywhere for us to shop....

SilkCutMama Thu 31-Jul-08 22:24:55

There are places....

and to be honest they are the same as on the other thread

The best advice I can give - is look at other pople. I really have no issue with stopping someone I think looks great and asking her where her skirt/top/trousrers were from

She feels great and you have a fashion tip!!

claricebeansmum Thu 31-Jul-08 22:25:22

There isn't anywhere for us to shop.

Was discussing this with a friend yesterday - either it is all too young - we're too old for spaghetti straps etc - or too old as we are not quite ready for a Jaeger twin set.

In addition we both agreed that we felt overwhelmed by shopping. Many shops were just too difficult to shop in.

And we are not sure what we are supposed to be wearing.

claricebeansmum Thu 31-Jul-08 22:25:59

Actually I shop in Hobbs and Jigsaw and Kew.

RustyBear Thu 31-Jul-08 22:26:48

M&S, Cotton Traders, Debenhams Casual Club, Principles.

But I have no style...

HuwEdwards Thu 31-Jul-08 22:27:01

La Redoute, Next, M&S, Debehams and all their outlets, Wallis, Monsoon...tbh the only places out of bounds for me are Miss Selfridge, New Look etc.

lilolilmanchester Thu 31-Jul-08 22:29:27

but you see even in M&S, Debenhams etc I feel too young for some things and too old for others. Some things which look really fashionable on a young person look frumpy on someone like me. And (apologies for repeating another thread) I can't get trousers to fit me anywhere.

claricebeansmum Thu 31-Jul-08 22:29:59

Don't get me started on trousers!

lilolilmanchester Thu 31-Jul-08 22:30:11

I see loads of things I love and would wear, but they don't look right/fit when I've got them on is what i mean I guess.

lilolilmanchester Thu 31-Jul-08 22:30:42

same problem claricebeansmum?

Hassled Thu 31-Jul-08 22:33:45

A mere 42 here but I have the same problem as lilolil - basically I live in perpetual fear that I am in fact mutton dressed as lamb. I can't keep dressing like I'm 30 forever, but yet I see very stylish women in their 50s out there, so it is possible to get it right.

I think the 40s are a tough halfway house fashion wise, and live in hope that it will all become more obvious once we reach 50 .

RustyBear Thu 31-Jul-08 22:35:58

Didn't for me, Hassled....

claricebeansmum Thu 31-Jul-08 22:36:16

I find it quite hard to find anything I might like to wear and that I feel I could wear and that feels nice to wear i.e. cotton not polyester etc

And then you get to the changing rooms...I have pieces in my cupboards that are size 10 which I wear and yesterday I bought size 16 shorts...

I am thinking of having a personal shopper session.

lilolilmanchester Thu 31-Jul-08 22:49:19

I've been thinking of doing the same. Where have you been thinking of doing it? I'm more of a Debenhams than Selfridges shopper. We have a Planet shop near us which always has sales on and I ran the poor assistant (who had assured me she'd find me something that fitted) ragged trying to find trousers. I see much larger ladies than me wearing trousers, I think it's my shape as much as anything.

claricebeansmum Thu 31-Jul-08 22:52:49

I'm not sure as I am just about to move. I might try to find an independent person.I wouldn't want to be tied to one store.

Trousers are just so hard.

I am also quite fussy about the fabric feel too.

Katisha Thu 31-Jul-08 22:56:05

I did a huge order in the Debenhams sale online recently. I am delighted - everything fits properly. Can't remember the last time that happened.

lilolilmanchester Thu 31-Jul-08 22:56:08

ah yes, I had my colours done years ago and the consultant also did personal shopping. Good thinking, tho not sure how much they charge. At least they are free in the stores. Might just try one in a store to see if it makes any difference.

lilolilmanchester Thu 31-Jul-08 22:57:34

envyKatisha

claricebeansmum Thu 31-Jul-08 22:59:36

You are right Lilo - just need to start somewhere. This can't go on. It is almost turning into a clothes phobia wink

thumbwitch Thu 31-Jul-08 22:59:46

only 41 but tend to shop in Principles, Dorothy Perkins and Debenhams - there is a very large Debenhams in Guildford that has 2 floors for women's clothes - 1 for trendy young things and 1 for the older classier woman - I did find myself slightly at a loss in both areas!! I wouldn't write New Look off totally - there are still some worthy things in there if you can bear to be in the same shop as the children wink.

claricebeansmum Thu 31-Jul-08 23:02:15

I feel quite overwhlemed by the sheer quantity of clothes in department stores

Katisha Thu 31-Jul-08 23:02:53

Wallis used to be my standby but they went peculiar a couple of years ago...

lilolilmanchester Thu 31-Jul-08 23:05:17

Mine too Katisha but agree, think it's changed. Where do you live Claricebeansmum?

thumbwitch Thu 31-Jul-08 23:07:01

have a friend who swears by Zara - haven't really tried them myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now