Talk

Advanced search

do you find people treat you differntly depending onhow you are dressed etc?

(38 Posts)
lovelysongbird Thu 31-Jul-08 16:57:29

i do.

expatinscotland Thu 31-Jul-08 16:57:54

yes

Dior Thu 31-Jul-08 16:58:01

Message withdrawn

Celery Thu 31-Jul-08 16:59:04

I don't know because I always dress the same. They definately treat me differently if I'm pushing a buggy though.

Guadalupe Thu 31-Jul-08 16:59:04

yes, if I wear my black bomber jacket I get watched by store detectives every time.

littlelapin Thu 31-Jul-08 16:59:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

differentID Thu 31-Jul-08 17:01:01

yes.

LynetteScavo Thu 31-Jul-08 17:01:27

I really don't think I do.

LynetteScavo Thu 31-Jul-08 17:02:35

How do people teat you differently, LL?

psychomum5 Thu 31-Jul-08 17:04:53

oh yes.

in fact, if I am going cothes shopping I dress 'up' occasionally to see if I get different service.

I do!

get far better treatment if I am in a dress/smart trousers than if I am in my jeans.

funnily enough tho, I always thought heels would make the differnce, but I haven't found so since I can only wear flats. Definately(sp?) seems to be the clothing.

beanieb Thu 31-Jul-08 17:05:43

yes - I find it irritating really. When I was a goth I got treated quite rudely a lot of the time which I thought was unfair because I was raised to be polite and it annoyed me that my choice of style would make people think they could be ruder to me than they might be to someone else.

I guess it would be like me assuming a Fat person was lazy or slow, or a blonde person was stupid and superficial.

I would guess that reasonable people would never do anything particularly mean to me because of what I wore. I'm not a Goth anymore but stories like this:

www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/apr/28/ukcrime

and

www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=243614&in_page_id=34

do highlight how stupid other people can be when making judgements on the way other people look and acting upon them sad

littlelapin Thu 31-Jul-08 17:25:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cammelia Thu 31-Jul-08 17:25:26

Yes of course

Earlybird Thu 31-Jul-08 18:00:47

I've always heard that if you are well dressed when you fly, the chances of an upgrade are significantly better.

GrapeJelly Thu 31-Jul-08 18:01:03

Yes, and also get treated much better in shops when I'm wearing make up. Was a Goth when younger and used to get some seriously filthy looks in shops- despite/because of the make up!!

FluffyMummy123 Thu 31-Jul-08 18:01:31

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Thu 31-Jul-08 18:01:54

Message withdrawn

ExterminAitch Thu 31-Jul-08 18:03:26

'course. that's why we don't all wear a uniform.

cornsilk Thu 31-Jul-08 18:05:05

There was an article in the Manchester Evening news once, where they sent the same woman and child into snooty shops like Kendals dressed in 'ordinary' clothes and posh designer gear. When she was in the posh stuff the assistants were all over her but when she was in the 'ordinary' gear she was ignored and looked down on.

JackieNo Thu 31-Jul-08 18:06:26

Possibly, yes. But how about another question - do the clothes you're wearing make you feel different, and act differenly? I think I have more self confidence if I feel I look good (which doesn't necessarily equate to being smart). So I probably act more confident too.

MrsTittleMouse Thu 31-Jul-08 18:07:51

There was a study I saw once (can't remember if it was from the UK or US) where they looked at how long medical staff would try to resuscitate patients - they worked harder on those in suits and gave up sooner on those in scruffy clothes. I'm certainly treated differently now, although whether that's because I'm obviously a SAHM (and therefore have no brain hmm) or whether it's because I don't have the time/energy/money/motivation to dress as well, I don't know.
I certainly dress up for my antenatal appointments though!

GordonTheGopher Thu 31-Jul-08 18:08:20

I did some cleaning when I was at university (as in a job not just my room!) and as soon as I put on the white overalls people either ignored me or talked down to me. They were pretty shocked when I started to speak!

MrsTiddles Thu 31-Jul-08 18:13:46

Yes, I can choose to be visible or not (depending on what I choose to wear, obviously not through magic trick)

Slouchy Thu 31-Jul-08 18:14:18

Me and DH had a Pretty Woman moment once.
Called into a posh new housing development on our way home from a cycle ride; all mucky and sweaty. The ladies looked at us most askance when we asked to view the showhome (Dh built houses for a living at the time so was bit of industrial espionage). Went back to check something couple of days later on our way home from work; both in suits. They fell over themselves to help us. Managed to resist quoting "You work on commision, do you? BIG mistake!"

Miggsie Thu 31-Jul-08 18:22:47

oh yes!
An especially if I have my walking stick with me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now