Talk

Advanced search

Why do some parents dress their kids in geeky clothes?

(242 Posts)
KerryMum Thu 31-Jul-08 00:33:25

I was at a chess tourney with ds1 last week and in all fairness most of the kids ARE geeky to one degree or another. But most of the parents do make an effort in dressing their kids to fit in with peers.

Some however had their kids in the geekiest outfits I've ever seen. I'm talking pants 3 sizes too small. plaid shirts with different plaid shorts, socks with sandals. I mean you wouldn't make this stuff up.

I was talking to one of the other parents and I said, why do parents dress their kids like this? He said, I know it's a bit hard on them. They are walking targets going round like that.

I know all this sort of thing shouldn't matter but let's be real, it does, especially to kids.

It certainly isn't about money as most of the kids families seemed to have plenty and we have very little and ds1 isn't walking around like an extra from Revenge of the Nerds.

SNoraWotzThat Thu 31-Jul-08 00:35:01

what is a plaid shirt/short?

OverMyDeadBody Thu 31-Jul-08 00:36:23

maybe the kids are choosing their own outfits and the parents want to let then have that bit of control over their lives?

I'm sure DS looks 'geeky' sometimes in the combinations he wears. He especially like old woolen jumpers that have shrunk in the wsh and are therefore tight.

OverMyDeadBody Thu 31-Jul-08 00:36:55

also, some of the parents are probably 'geeks' too and haven't got a clue themselves. There are people like this around...

CoolYourJets Thu 31-Jul-08 00:37:04

Are we talking checked, tartanish too short trousers?

OverMyDeadBody Thu 31-Jul-08 00:38:56

Snora this is plaid

LynetteScavo Thu 31-Jul-08 00:41:24

fMy very bright niece has always dressed as a geek...but then so has her mother, and much older father.

SNoraWotzThat Thu 31-Jul-08 00:41:44

Umm, thanks Omdb,
This is why i don't post in style topics much.

KerryMum Thu 31-Jul-08 00:48:07

yes tartan, in the states we call it plaid.

yes. there was a father and son combo that we had lunch with one day. lovely lovely people but I wanted to do an instant makeover on the two of them!

nappyaddict Thu 31-Jul-08 00:50:09

those checked shirts are quite fashionable actually.

KerryMum Thu 31-Jul-08 00:52:15

maybe...

but not in combination with jogging bottoms that are 3 sizes too small.

I mean honestly. I'm not being cruel or snooty. The poor kids looked desperate.

Califrau Thu 31-Jul-08 01:06:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Alambil Thu 31-Jul-08 01:35:24

I dress DS in shirts like that! He usually wears them with jeans or chinos though - hate joggers.

I think he looks really cute blush

KerryMum Thu 31-Jul-08 01:46:13

no the ones these kids were wearing were short-sleeved.

yes cali you know what I mean! smile

Califrau Thu 31-Jul-08 01:51:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

twentypence Thu 31-Jul-08 02:02:35

Ds insists on going to NZ Symphony concerts in black tie (borrowed from dad) teamed with a school uniform white shirt and black school uniform trousers and a black waistcoat. It's his "concert" outfit.

I taught a boy whose mum knitted his school uniform jersey, he's now at high school and last time I saw him she has knitted him a high school one too. He always wore jogging bottoms (too short), socks and Jesus sandals to complete the look. However he wouldn't have noticed what other kids were wearing, he wouldn't have noticed being picked on, his mum was my age and dressed like my mum (who has been wearing the same outfits since the 1980s). His dad was the same. Clothes just genuinely were not important to this family, and I felt a little proud on their behalf that they could be so free of consumerism.

Everytime someone mentions the raising boys author though (Christopher Green?) I point out that in the bullying section he goes on about loving and tight knit families when I think it would have been easier to get a proper haircut.

But seriously if you can't wear daggy clothing to a chess thing what's the world coming to?

girlnextdoor Thu 31-Jul-08 08:10:29

I think you need to get out moresmile
Why is your taste superior to any one else's? smile

Maybe they don't have enough money to buy fashionable clothes- maybe they LIKE those clothes- in any case,it's none of your business and a pretty superficial approach to life, imo.

lazaroulovesleggings Thu 31-Jul-08 08:44:51

so, as we are talking about unusual dress sense, would the elephant print shirt be a no no then? I quite like it

chelsygirl Thu 31-Jul-08 09:06:45

kerry, I so agree with you

these kids are a target and the parents just don't see it

nailpolish Thu 31-Jul-08 09:10:07

children have options of what to wear surely

i let my dds pick whatever they want to wear. soemtimes it looks friggin awful - clashing colours etc but i dotn care cos they are happy

i dont 'dress' my childrne

maybe the trousers 3 sizes too small are his favourite and he begs his mum not to throw them away? maybe she doesnt care as long as hes happy? how is it your business anyway? are these children unhappy?

Botbot Thu 31-Jul-08 09:11:26

I occasionally work with chess players and I have to say they're not the most stylish types in the world. Maybe it starts young.

theSuburbanDryad Thu 31-Jul-08 09:12:01

It's interesting that it's Cali and Kerry (Kerry is from the US, Cali lives there - am I right?) who "get" this. Not a slur on either of you, by any means, I just wonder if it's more prevalent in the US, this kind of thinking?

I do know what you mean, btw, Kerry. As someone who was bullied for her clothes in Upper school I think that parents should give kids the option to dress fashionably if they want to. The thing is, a lot of the time they don't want to - or don't see the need - and that's cool too, non? smile

Dilberta Thu 31-Jul-08 09:13:15

they are only targets cos poeple like KM notice and care. If no-one gave a crap about clothes kids wouldn';t be bullied. Wouldn't that be nice.
ds2 will only wear jogging bottoms and has hair down to his bottom.

nailpolish Thu 31-Jul-08 09:14:11

thats my dd. she doesnt want to dress the same as her peers. she doesnt care, and acutally, enither do her peers

zippitippitoes Thu 31-Jul-08 09:15:56

my ds had clothes issues and would only wear jogging bottoms he didnt even wear school trousers

it was the feel

also some people just arent v ery materialisitic and it just doesnt matter to them what they look like

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now