Talk

Advanced search

Tons of clothes and nothing to wear. Help!!

(17 Posts)
lilolilmanchester Wed 30-Jul-08 22:22:18

Another ironing-avoidance thread. Well, not quite, have managed to iron a couple of things between posts but as I was struggling to cram some ironed clothes into my wardrobe (defeating the objective of ironing in the first place) it struck me that I have TONS of clothes. But nothing to wear. How does that happen and what are your top tips for resolving? Have already done the "chuck out anything you haven't worn for a year". Well, ish, some things might fit when I lose weight...

SilentTerror Wed 30-Jul-08 22:29:31

Get everything out,try on loads of things together that you have never worn before,plus accessories,then hang as outfits ifyswim.
Had a short sleeved green Kew cardigan/shrug hanging outside my wardrobe for ages(no room inside!) plus cream linen trousers.Lay in bed looking at said items and thought'have a stripy navy vest somewhere with green trim',put it together,and it looks great!
Am great at telling others,but hopeless at organising myself!

lilolilmanchester Wed 30-Jul-08 22:31:55

that makes sense, I'm just not that good at doing it for myself either. Do just that for my Mum every time she goes on holiday.

lilolilmanchester Wed 30-Jul-08 22:33:48

also, I really struggle to find trousers that fit these days so I have tons of tops and nothing to wear them with which doesn't help. Must have tried on 100 pairs of trousers (seriously) in the last 6 months. Have started to buy more skirts but a lot of the tops are better with trousers.

SilentTerror Wed 30-Jul-08 22:38:13

I know,but it works.Takes ages though.I keep some'shall I keep clothes' outside wardrobe hanging up all the time,and if I can dream up an outfit with them they stay,if not,ebay or charity.
Start with favourite bottoms,ie jeans,linen trousers,skirt,then add various tops/vests,maybe try layering shrug/cardigan for colder days,then shoes,necklace etc.
Do you have any dresses? They are easier,but try dressing them up/down with various shoes,layered with t shirt/shrug/trousers,add necklace etc.
My God,I will be busy tomorrow!grin

lilolilmanchester Wed 30-Jul-08 22:40:08

I have a couple of dresses for work (they've been a life-saver) but not casual/going out dresses. Don't see much that I like these days, not young/tall/slim enough for a lot of things in the shops at the mo.

Califrau Wed 30-Jul-08 22:40:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lilolilmanchester Wed 30-Jul-08 22:40:54

(and have switched of iron, preferring SilentTerror's idea of going through wardrobe. Again.)

lilolilmanchester Wed 30-Jul-08 22:42:08

yes, i had my colours done and do hang all 73 black tops as suggested

SilentTerror Wed 30-Jul-08 22:45:46

Lilo,perhaps pick out what you do like,really like,then add things you feel ok about,forget t hings you hate.
Try combimations of loves and oks,see what works or not,then make a list of what you need to make them all work,ifyswim.
You sound like you need trousers/jeans desperately,so I would make that a priority,I find once you have a shape that works(I like wide leg/slouchy/flared,def not skinny!)trawl the internet for shops that sell that shape then attack the shops.
You might find adding a belt to some of your tops makes them work better?

lilolilmanchester Wed 30-Jul-08 22:51:29

yeah, it's the bottoms thing that's the real problem I think. I can do tops/layers/accessories. Just nothing to wear on the bottom. I have tried on so many styles & shapes, and still come away empty handed. Will just have to see what I can do with the few trousers I've got. I just know shopping for trousers on the internet will mean more returns than I can face.

lilolilmanchester Wed 30-Jul-08 22:55:14

(thanks for the advice and for listening SilentTerror. It's getting me down a bit so nice to have someone trying to help)

janmoomoo Thu 31-Jul-08 13:52:55

I was going to suggest having your colours done. It has worked for me. Gone from a rammed wardrobe but never anything to wear, to a lovely but smaller wardrobe full of nice things that go together. Has taken me six months to gradually change over.

And actually I had a big bag of clothes in the bottom of my wardrobe which were my "I havent worn this for two years and shall I throw it out but actually I cant quite bear to because I like it and might wear it again" pile. When I got them out after having my colours done they were ALL in colours I am not supposed to wear. Which is obviously why I kept putting them on but then taking them off straight away and not really knowing why. Interesting eh? (well I think so...!!)

janmoomoo Thu 31-Jul-08 13:54:55

Oh, and also it really helped focus my mind when my DH told me we are going on a surprise holiday and said my sister was coming round to pack my suitcase!! Made me get rid of all the things that I really would not want her to pack or wouldnt want to wear! Bizarre experience.

lilolilmanchester Thu 31-Jul-08 17:27:49

thanks janmaroo. Colour analysis is great, isn't it? I need to stop buying tops, start toning up and losing weight so I can actually find some trousers that fit, then I will be ok. Am now convinced that "lack of bottoms" (tho too much "bottom") is the root cause of my problem.

janmoomoo Fri 01-Aug-08 13:08:58

Are you a pear? I am and also have real problems with trousers.

lilolilmanchester Fri 01-Aug-08 18:03:10

yes, I think I am pear-shaped. But so are lots of other women who can find trousers that fit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now