Talk

Advanced search

how much does it cost you to have your hair highlighted

(26 Posts)
brimfull Tue 29-Jul-08 23:02:48

and how often do you get it done?

tis quite a financial commitment I think?

just wondering if I can afford it

hifi Wed 30-Jul-08 00:44:28

i should have mine done every 4 to 5 weeks.not neccesarily the cost but the time, colour, cut and blow about 3 hours and £115 in london.
getting more grey so will have to keep on top of it.

currently at 7 weeks and wearing sunglasses as a hairband.
once you start its hard to stop,is it just to lift your colour or grey bits?

Alambil Wed 30-Jul-08 01:06:29

I have mine done every October ish - I like it naturally highlighted during the summer from the sun.

It costs about £50 or so I think - probably more now, and I usually only have a half-head done.

I hunt out studios in town looking for models to practise on - it's usually cheaper and they're watched!

MmeLindt Wed 30-Jul-08 01:10:46

I go to the L'Oreal Academy in a town nearby, where they teach hairdressers the newest styles. Only costs 5euros

I try to go every 8 weeks or so, but tbh it would be better if I could go more often as after about 6 weeks the roots really start to show.

KristinaM Wed 30-Jul-08 01:13:25

40-40 for a half head
50 for a full head

this is small local hairdressers

you can go a bit longer between getting it doen if you have a low light put in too, as its makes the roots less noticable

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Wed 30-Jul-08 01:41:36

erm free! anytime i want, oh sorry you were asking how much it cost from a salon <who is smug about having a qualified hairdresser for a friend? no not me grin>

i paid anything from £45 - £145 depending upon which hairdressers i went to and as i have dark hair it needed doing every 8 weeks

brimfull Wed 30-Jul-08 19:37:11

thanks
don't think I'll bother

I have been using a semi-permanent colour every 3 mos or so and wanted to break the colour up a bit
too scared to do it myself

SpangleMaker Wed 30-Jul-08 19:45:40

ggirl - I have long dark hair, used semi-permanents on it but decided to go for some highlights to break the colour up as you want to do. However I didn't want to have the issue with roots or the commitment (financial but also am crap at remembering to go to the hairdressers). I also didn't want to look all stripey.

So I had them do my roots with a semi-permanent and they put some coppery sections in underneath. This means I don't have to have the lightening done every time, just the colour topped up which is much cheaper.

Cost was £60 from Toni&Guy

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Wed 30-Jul-08 19:48:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

brimfull Wed 30-Jul-08 19:48:13

ooh good idea,am having my hair cut tomorrow I'll ask him about that..thnaks

zippitippitoes Wed 30-Jul-08 19:50:44

i do it myself about every six weeks with a loreal kit coloeur experte

it looks quite good

zippitippitoes Wed 30-Jul-08 19:51:49

avtually the last time i did it i had my haircut in toni and guy the next day and she asked where i had my colours done because they were really nice

she then said oh i use that too

brimfull Wed 30-Jul-08 19:53:47

oh really zippi!!!!

ir it one of those comb thru ones?

zippitippitoes Wed 30-Jul-08 19:54:57

the wand thing yes

you just have to do it carefully

i have had compliments

cocolepew Wed 30-Jul-08 19:55:40

The L'oreal one that zippi mentions is good, so is superdrugs own one. It's £5.99 you put on the base colour and then brush on your highlights. I just redo it when my grey shows through! Everybody comments on how nice it is <<smug>>

brimfull Wed 30-Jul-08 19:56:10

right will have a go at that
thanks

zippitippitoes Wed 30-Jul-08 20:09:59

if you look at the loreal website it gives some guidance on choosing the shade

warm and cool colour and stuff

zippitippitoes Wed 30-Jul-08 20:11:06

dont do wide strands start at the front and do alternate sides dont do too much and dont let blobs drop on your head

get a long handled comb to part hair with

brimfull Wed 30-Jul-08 20:31:18

will probably get dd to help me

zippitippitoes Wed 30-Jul-08 20:32:18

dd1 did mine the first time

make sure you leave the highlighter on long enough for best results

cornsilk Wed 30-Jul-08 20:41:20

I am very tempted by that loreal thing. Can't justify £100 on highlighting at the moment. How long does it take?

zippitippitoes Wed 30-Jul-08 20:45:17

well i would allow a while

you put on dye then rinse off then apply highlkights

i would allow about two hours

it depends how speedy you are

cornsilk Wed 30-Jul-08 20:46:10

are the highlights just one shade?

zippitippitoes Wed 30-Jul-08 21:03:44

yes you get dye for hair and a highlight mix

bythepowerofgreyskul Wed 30-Jul-08 21:05:25

I get mine done at a local salon I go every 6 weeks it costs £120 for full head of highlights and cut.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now