Talk

Advanced search

Christening outfit/dress for 6 - 9 month old boy - is a dress too "girly"?

(23 Posts)
SalLikesCoffee Tue 29-Jul-08 13:51:05

I need to decide on what to dress my ds in at his Christening. He'll be about 6 months old, but is quite big, so it will probably be something for around 9 months.

I would have loved an "old fashioned" Christening dress, but, after searching for pictures (my mom can make it for me), I've now wondered whether I'm being stupid and that people will laugh... Would a dress be too girly? I don't really like white 2-piece outfits, which is what my mom suggested, but am now suspecting I might just be silly, especially since he'll be quite big by then. Thanks.

PenelopePitstops Tue 29-Jul-08 13:55:44

put him in a dress, no one will say anything and he will look wonderful

Bink Tue 29-Jul-08 14:08:42

I think if you make sure it looks like a trad christening gown - eg much longer than the child, so you don't see legs but a ceremonial sweep of material instead - then it won't suggest "dress" at all.

No they are all children

Put him in a gown he will look beautiful

Tommy Tue 29-Jul-08 14:15:35

good point bink - if you must put him in a dress, make sure it s a long christening gown type thing.

I managed to christen 3 boys without any dreses grin

TheFallenMadonna Tue 29-Jul-08 14:19:13

My DS wore a christening gown at 6 mo. No-one laughed. Well, ot openly anyway wink

I made it myself. Quite plain with minimal trimming.

SalLikesCoffee Tue 29-Jul-08 14:28:21

Oh wonderful, thank you!

Ok, for the second part of my search - I'll search for some examples, please be brutally honest about my suggestions. I'll be back soon.

If you've got any suggestions, please post links [begging].

SalLikesCoffee Tue 29-Jul-08 14:55:57

plain smocked

or

this ? What I like about the second one is that I could use the same one (but with the girls' bonnet) if I have a girl one day.

TheFallenMadonna Tue 29-Jul-08 14:58:46

I prefer the smocked one.

Is that really a peaked cap with the second? hmm

hughjarssss Tue 29-Jul-08 15:01:34

Oh put him in a gown! He'll look gorgeous

SalLikesCoffee Tue 29-Jul-08 15:05:31

lol, yep, I thought that was funny. Will obviously not be using the cap, but might use a bonnet for a girl one day if I Christen earlier. Maybe.

TheFallenMadonna Tue 29-Jul-08 15:11:51

DD wore a bonnet - also baptised at 6 mo. She looked fab smile

SalLikesCoffee Tue 29-Jul-08 15:12:13

Well, a gown it will be then. I have to admit, there are some absolutely beautiful boys' outfits, but I've always wanted a long, flowing gown, preferably to reuse for the whole family (with some minor adjustments if needed).

TheFallenMadonna Tue 29-Jul-08 15:13:02

For dd we added a lace jacket and a bonnet to the long gown ds wore.

VictorianSqualor Tue 29-Jul-08 15:16:01

I hadn't even thought about what to dress DS2 in and his christening is in 3 weeksblush
The other two were older when christened I think the pic of them in their outfits is on my profile(?)

DS2 will probably not be in a gown though.

SalLikesCoffee Tue 29-Jul-08 15:18:16

That sounds perfect, TheFallenMadonna! I'm quite sentimental about these things lately (which amuses everyone, as I didn't use to care).

TheFallenMadonna Tue 29-Jul-08 15:21:37

DH'd family have a family gown which has been worn since the year dot, but it's tiny and they'd have had to be baptised straight away to have worn it (which of course babies used to be, I was baptised at two weeks).

So I made one for our family. And yes, I am very sentimental about it grin

SalLikesCoffee Tue 29-Jul-08 15:23:51

Yes, VS, not sure why I want to all of a sudden have all these "family heirlooms"...! It amuses my family no end, as I'm the only one that went with family names, now the gown etc - and I used to be the one being "different"! Well, at least my grandmother (86) is extremely impressed. blush

SalLikesCoffee Tue 29-Jul-08 15:29:05

I wanted to Christen him in the same gown my DH was Christened in, but same problem - 2 weeks old, whereas I'll have a huge-for-his-age 6mth old!

VS, I'm just nosy, but would love to see your dc's outfits (mainly because they're all so cute and I want to see more pics wink), but all I can see is the halloween outfits. It wasn't that, was it? lol :}

VictorianSqualor Tue 29-Jul-08 15:40:32

Ah, It was on there, I've just put it back up.
They weren't christened until they were 1&5, at a joint christening, (two months after I split from their dad, I was determined to have it CofEwink).

SalLikesCoffee Tue 29-Jul-08 15:59:12

Oh VS, that's beautiful!!!

Waswondering Tue 29-Jul-08 16:03:12

I know someone who had a beautiful silk gown made (was it from her wedding dress? Can't remember!) anyway, the child's first initial was embroidered onto the gown, then its siblings initials were added later when it was their turn. Idea was to make it a new heirloom! I thought it was a lovely idea.

Also my godson wore a gorgeous family gown, and slept loads - he was changed out of it after the church as weaning purees were deemed a bit dodgy with the fabric, so he was dressed up again the next day for official photos. smile

SalLikesCoffee Tue 29-Jul-08 16:50:45

I like the initial idea. Whichever gown I decide on, I think I'll ask my mom to add that. (I'm rubbish with that.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now