Talk

Advanced search

After some heavy researcgh this week i would loike to rant a little.there is a type of outfit(usuially on grils aged 1-4)that i detest

(367 Posts)
MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Tue 29-Jul-08 13:47:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Tue 29-Jul-08 13:47:53

TigerFeet Tue 29-Jul-08 13:53:20

Oh god...

DD (aged 4.1) was wearing an outfit like this on Sunday

MIL bought her the hideous tshirt and shorts combo. I hate it. DD loves it. I didn't have the heart to tell her she can't wear it. She had ankle socks with frilly bits around the top and her pink tbar leather shoes on. Also chosen by dd. And the glorious combination was topped off by a headband that was sported bjorn borg style and her glasses half way down her nose due to the sweat/suntan lotion combo. It was not a good look but I tried not to care as she spent the whole day out in the garden or knocking about in the street with her mates.

If it were up to me she would be dressed in cotton dresses and sandals.

solidgoldbrass Tue 29-Jul-08 13:53:28

Well it sounds comfortable and practical, which is all that counts in children's clothes - and seems to be quite difficult to come by for little girls (everything covered in glitter or frills or beads that make it much harder for an active kid to roll around and run and climb).

scanner Tue 29-Jul-08 13:53:41

I am with you on this one, I also hate hate hate leggings on children the same age. Even before they came back into fashion for young people (not mum's, please note) lots of people dress toddlers in t-shirt and legging, why oh why.

rosealbie Tue 29-Jul-08 13:56:31

This made me laugh.

My dd wears this from time to time during the day and they are pyjamas.

What should little girls be dressed in?

iheartdusty Tue 29-Jul-08 13:56:48

sounds fine to me

no mention of t shirt slogans eg 'My mum wants me to look like a tart' etc

dresses get in the way of climbing and doodles can go in the washing machine

the more girls wear shorts in summer the better IMO

MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Tue 29-Jul-08 13:56:58

MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Tue 29-Jul-08 13:58:20

rosealbie Tue 29-Jul-08 13:58:41

sounds ghastly wink

MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Tue 29-Jul-08 13:59:59

iheartdusty Tue 29-Jul-08 14:00:04

alas my DD (6) sees things in a different light from many

she longs for a pair of tight skinny jeans

and has identified a pair of saggy red pyjama trousers as being the closest thing she can find because they have 'narrow bits at the bottom'.

I have hidden them.

Nemoandthefishes Tue 29-Jul-08 14:00:46

pmsl you best shoot me now then as both dds are in spotty t shirts with same colour shorts today..one is aqua the other is pink!!! Although they are wearing fake crocs rather than doodles as DD1 and ds have gone to the beach

Slubberdegullion Tue 29-Jul-08 14:00:46

hmmmm

t-shirts - tick
baggy shorts - tick (not matching sad
socks - tick
doodles - tick (with t-bar - extra ticks)

I think both my dds have almost scored a full house today. yay! I wonder if there is a prize?

Shall I go and tell them hmm? I'm sure they will be delighted to hear that a lady in mummy's puter is detesting what they have on, in the garden, in the holidays.

LynetteScavo Tue 29-Jul-08 14:00:48

Dd is wearing a pretty dress today, so I dare venture onto this thread.

What you've mentioned is inexpensive and practical, as long as it's not accompanied by a wonky fringe, there are worse parenting and fashion crimes, surely?

And children dressed as malory mentions, make my DD look all the nicer in her Boden gear. smile

iheartdusty Tue 29-Jul-08 14:00:49

yes I see your point about pastels with frilly edge

MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Tue 29-Jul-08 14:01:31

Nemoandthefishes Tue 29-Jul-08 14:01:38

oh and they are also not wearing any socks..so guess we only get 50% today but would usually be 100%..pmsl

ThePettyandIllinformedGoat Tue 29-Jul-08 14:01:42

dd dresses herself, sometimes i am embarrassed. i do draw the line at pink shiny leotard - who does she think she is, madonna?

Marina Tue 29-Jul-08 14:01:59

So what should they wear instead?

I agree that cotton jersey shorts and t shirts aren't that elegant, and some combos are ugly in colour and design, but the advantage of this sort of kit is it is easy to launder quickly for nursery/playgroup etc, and not heart-breaking if it gets coated in mango or poster paint.

I prefer dd in smarter clothing but given the grimefest that is her summer playscheme it is definitely Next jersey shorts and H & M t shirts for her.

nervousal Tue 29-Jul-08 14:02:13

honestly some people have such low standards these days - should be ashamed of themselves hmm

iheartdusty Tue 29-Jul-08 14:02:34

and DD has cut her own wonky fringe

clearly we are not fit to be on here

<<slinks off>>

MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Tue 29-Jul-08 14:02:40

TigerFeet Tue 29-Jul-08 14:02:55

DD's - jersay pale green shorts that are shapeless and horrid. Jersey tshirt is a white vest thing with flowers and "Beach Babe" printed on the front.

The short stretch within 10 mins of going of being put on and end up sliding down or going up the crack of her bum as she rolls around and climbs. She has nice cotton shorts that stay put and nice tshirts that cover her shoulders.

Yes I am probably being precious but I like dressing my little girl in pretty clothes that still look nice half an hour later. Pretty doesn't have to mean frilly or lacy or flowery does it?

MrsBadger Tue 29-Jul-08 14:03:21

tis Zara sundresses and bare feet a-go-go chez Badge

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now