Talk

Advanced search

All wedding dresses are the same!

(62 Posts)
redbamboo82 Tue 29-Jul-08 11:12:34

Looking for a wedding dress - am I the only one frustrated by the lack of choice? All of the wedding dresses I se in shops ARE THE SAME DRESS and at all of the weddings I have been to recently the brides have worn THE SAME DRESS. It seems as if the ivory strapless gown with a-line skirt has become a kind of uniform. No offense if you had a dress like this as it is clearly a classic and flattering style, but where is the individuality, creativity and flair? Did anyone else feel like this? Where did you go? What did you do? Granted there might be some slight variations in colour, beading, lace embroidery, shape of neckline, but the underlying shape is always THE SAME!

Here are some examples of the kinds I mean:

here

here

here

here

same same same

can we start a rebellion?

nailpolish Tue 29-Jul-08 11:14:31

my dress wasnt like that

MrsBadger Tue 29-Jul-08 11:15:01

nor was mine

hanaflower Tue 29-Jul-08 11:15:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BlingLovin Tue 29-Jul-08 11:15:21

actually, I like the first one - lovely soft skirt. I can't work out why all wedding dresses are so stiff! I dread to think what will happen when h2b tries to get in for a snog... they're like concrete walls!
But agree, broadly, with your thought. And they're all made for tiny stick like size 8s with no boobs!

MrsBadger Tue 29-Jul-08 11:17:02

(and it was from Pronuptia, which has some less-usual shapes amongst the clones)

Jackstini Tue 29-Jul-08 11:17:53

What are you looking for and maybe we can help you find it?
No offence taken as I had a dress a bit like this! wink

sitdownpleasegeorge Tue 29-Jul-08 11:21:10

I had a very unusual dress and nothing like those you listed.

What size are you and what do your really want from your wedding dress ?

redbamboo82 Tue 29-Jul-08 11:21:57

just something different i suppose, maybe halterneck, fishtail skirt. Even (shock) sleeves as a winter wedding. I think maybe this trend started with Victoria Beckham - I remember at the time thinking her dress was unusual but we don't seem to have moved on from there - and that must have been nearly 10 years ago.

stitch Tue 29-Jul-08 11:23:04

dont buy them then.

wedding shops will tend to stock whatever sells. and it seems that is what is selling at the moment.
try something completely different. not a wedding dress at all.

Dragonbutter Tue 29-Jul-08 11:23:55

I found it really frustrating that all the dresses seemed the same. Even the shop people would say, 'ah but this isn't white!' but it looked white to me, maybe cream, but not different.

I got one made. In an aqua/green colour and loved it.

MrsBadger Tue 29-Jul-08 11:25:13

what shape are you? IMO better to have something that suits you than try to be different and end up with something less-than-optimally flattering

I got married in the summer but had a dress with a coat over

BlingLovin Tue 29-Jul-08 11:25:17

I saw some halternecks with embroidery online yesterday - will look to see if I can figure out where. I think it might have been pronovius.

Jackstini Tue 29-Jul-08 11:25:48

What size are you?
White/cream/ivory/coloured?
Lace/silk/satin/organza?

MrsBadger Tue 29-Jul-08 11:26:11

there are a few halternecks in Pronuptia but you have to wade through.

MrsTittleMouse Tue 29-Jul-08 11:28:21

Monsoon has some really nice dresses that aren't the normal strapless/A-line skirt. I just checked the website and they don't seem to have much there at the moment.

My dress wasn't a strapless/A-line either. Tis a very flattering shape for pear-shapes though (i.e. most British women!).

redbamboo82 Tue 29-Jul-08 11:29:05

12/14

would consider colour as ivory etc dull

like lacy spanishy look and silk.

BlingLovin Tue 29-Jul-08 11:29:10

Sorry - can't find it (will look later again). But Pronuptia definitely has a selection of fish tail dresses.

christiana Tue 29-Jul-08 11:30:08

Message withdrawn

MrsBadger Tue 29-Jul-08 11:30:31

MrsTittlemouse is right re the English pear - the corsetted bodice is also helpful for those with tums

I looked weirdly deformed in them though as my boobs were too small and my ribs too skinny

MrsBadger Tue 29-Jul-08 11:31:39

some good ideas here too

christiana Tue 29-Jul-08 11:31:48

Message withdrawn

MrsBadger Tue 29-Jul-08 11:33:11

this is pretty - I like the cap sleeves

Pinkjenny Tue 29-Jul-08 11:33:27

Oooh christiana - mine sounds like yours!

brimfull Tue 29-Jul-08 11:33:45

the strapless design has been done to death imo

looks awful on some people

somebody needs to bring back sleeves

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now