Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ok, I need a haircut ... but what? Pics included!

(21 Posts)
NotQuiteCockney Mon 28-Jul-08 16:40:59

I have a square face. Quite fine, straight hair. I'm growing out a bloke's haircut, after having a shaved head for years.

I had a strong cowlick on one side, so symmetrical won't work. I do not blowdry my hair, or put gunk in it. I wear hats and bike helmets a lot, so fiddly is not worth it.

Here are two pics of me, front and side.

I'm tempted by some sort of a bob, but not sure it would work.

littlelapin Mon 28-Jul-08 16:42:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

littlelapin Mon 28-Jul-08 16:43:53

NotQuiteCockney Mon 28-Jul-08 16:44:53

Oh, it isn't now, but it was a bloke's haircut, months ago, when I had it done. I just went to the barber my boys go to, but he cut it shorter than I wanted.

Is spikey crop that sort of elfin haircut? Not sure that would work with a cowlick - it's a strong one, I have to part my hair where I do.

littlelapin Mon 28-Jul-08 16:45:53

aGalChangedHerName Mon 28-Jul-08 16:46:02

I would go for a consultation at a hairdressers. Thats what i did and got loads of ideas.

Your hair is ok as it is btw.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 28-Jul-08 16:46:44

Oh, I could see that first one working. My sideburns (sic) aren't long enough for that bit, but the idea is good.

littlelapin Mon 28-Jul-08 16:47:03

NotQuiteCockney Mon 28-Jul-08 16:47:33

Yeah, I probably should, I just have had such bad experiences with hairdressers. They keep wanting to colour my hair or something.

I guess it looks ok as it is, but it's bugging me, I'd like there to be less of it (while still wanting to grow it out hmm).

southeastastra Mon 28-Jul-08 16:48:29

don't you fancy colour?

NotQuiteCockney Mon 28-Jul-08 16:48:38

If I got the back cut shorter, it would be easier.

Maybe I could just ask the barber to do the back and leave the top and sides alone?

Actually, I find that shorter + helmet = darth maul look. Which is fine, I guess, but gets a bit samey after a while. grin

NotQuiteCockney Mon 28-Jul-08 16:49:24

I like my hair with grey bits. And I like my natural colour.

aGalChangedHerName Mon 28-Jul-08 16:50:19

Ask at work/friends for reccommendations?

I know what you mean about hairdressers tho. Just be assertive about what you don't want/like!!

Says me who had 4 inches cut off her hair on Friday when she didn't really want to.

savoycabbage Mon 28-Jul-08 16:52:04

Yes I hate it when you go to the hairdresser and they can be quite patronising IMO. Mine doesn't seem to understand why hair is not really important to me.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 28-Jul-08 16:52:44

I just hate dealing with hairdressers.

I spent 10 years with very long hair as that meant I didn't have to have any conversations with anyone about what I wanted. And another 10 years with a shaved head for the same reason.

My whole life, I've had one good hairdresser, and a great haircut, that worked with my lifestyle. But I can't even explain it, and I was fatter then, and my hair was thinner (less grey) so who knows if it would work now.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 28-Jul-08 16:53:36

<nods vigorously at savoycabbage>

Even pre-kids, I just wasn't interested in blow-drying, gel, etc etc. I wanted a haircut that would look fine with no effort, rather than one that would look marvellous with lots of effort.

Right, I must ask on a local mailing list for recommendations ...

bran Mon 28-Jul-08 16:58:39

I have a lovely, lovely hairdresser NQC, but he's in Greenwich which might be a bit far for you. He's also quite a bit more expensive than you are used to with a barber I should think.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 28-Jul-08 17:00:16

I used to spend a lot on hairdressers, well, I used to go to Toni and Guy regularly. (Hey, have I ranted at you about the marvellousness of rock climbing? I bet your DS would love it. We live at the rock climbing place these days, it's at the end of our road.)

NotQuiteCockney Mon 28-Jul-08 17:01:02

I've put a message on the Message List thing, anyway, bran, I'm hoping one of the 8 billion haidressers on Roman Road is good.

bran Mon 28-Jul-08 17:03:49

He's really good in the sense that he listens to what I want rather than giving me one of 4 or 5 standard cuts (which Toni and Guy do IME) and doesn't seem personally affronted that I have difficult hair.

Can you just turn up and climb at the climbing place or would I need to book? I bet DS would adore it.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 28-Jul-08 17:05:43

You can just turn up and climb. Well, you get a tour, and you get a life membership (£5) and you can climb, and supervise.

Actually, they're running a free course for parent supervisors, but the course is in the week, and you need childcare cover. (Are you still on the Mailing List? I mentioned it on there.)

We go there a lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now