Talk

Advanced search

Opinions for a black tie ball

(32 Posts)
NutterlyUts Sun 27-Jul-08 09:47:30

I am not girly at all. I don't do makeup, my hair "style" is wash and tie it up and I live in jeans. I've been invited to a black tie ball and I'm scared! The Ball is in October so I need to be warm

I've found a dress I love that I hope will suit me (and hide the bits I want to hide with the help of Spanx wink) and I need help with the fancy bits.

this is the dress and I

was thinking these for shoes/bag as there is no chance of me walking in strappy shoes and then maybe a chunky silver bracelet?

Hair and makeup leaves me shaking at the thought!

Slouchy Sun 27-Jul-08 09:54:15

Wow! That dress is AMAZING.

will you feel comfy in it though, if you are usually pretty casual? I know I tend to err on the less dressy side myself, cos feel like a dog's breakfast if I go too posh. Ooh, and toilet might be an issue! (Rememebers little sister having to hold wedding dress above head so could have a wee)

Accessories are great too, maybe a sivery pashmina as well if chilly?

Get your hair put up at a salon - will cost about £15 and be lacquered into submission for the night. Might do make up too?

What is the occasion?

lilolilmanchester Sun 27-Jul-08 09:58:19

fab choices. I love the dress but was surprised as it's more "girly" than I expected. Agree with slouchy - have your hair and makeup done for you. If you don't want to pay for both, have your hair done. Meantime, get one of the makeup folk in a dept store/Boots to help you choose makeup and show you how to apply it, then practise between now and the big day. Have a great time when it comes.

cornsilk Sun 27-Jul-08 09:59:56

That's gorgeous! Lucky thing!

NutterlyUts Sun 27-Jul-08 10:15:35

Oo I'm glad everyone is liking the dress. I just hope it'll suit me like I think it might.

I picked it cause a) I love it and b) I think I'll surprise a lot of people how well I can scrub up, and will feel 100x more confident then I usually am. I'm not a girly person as I really have no idea where to start rather then being opposed to the idea.
The ball is for our 10 yr anniversary of a move to new premises at work. this is the venue so you can see why I need to look fantastic!!

Rachmumoftwo Sun 27-Jul-08 10:27:54

I would love to walk around that castle in that dress, you will look and feel fantastic!

FluffyMummy123 Sun 27-Jul-08 11:25:45

Message withdrawn

NutterlyUts Sun 27-Jul-08 12:20:38

What dress then Cod?

cyteen Sun 27-Jul-08 12:41:12

The dress is gorgeous

MrsBadger Sun 27-Jul-08 16:56:24

please not taht dress
everyone else will be in cocktail dresses or long slinky ones
you risk look like at best like a bridesmaid or at worst like a loo-roll doll

have you bought already?

whatever you do do not have your hair in an 'up-do'
either get a really good blowdry or just a low chignon.

IllegallyBrunette Sun 27-Jul-08 16:59:21

Agree that the dress is a definate no no.

Carmenere Sun 27-Jul-08 17:03:55

I am really sorry as i know it is gutting when you have found something you like but that dress is a bit like a black version of Jordan's wedding dress. And if you have bought it, or have decided on it i strongly urge you to keep the rest of your outfit/hair ect very simple.

themoon66 Sun 27-Jul-08 17:07:38

Nice dress but way over the top. Agree it's like Jordan's wedding dress.

littlelapin Sun 27-Jul-08 17:10:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bellabelly Sun 27-Jul-08 17:14:21

I think the dress is perfect for a blacktie ball - I have never seen bridesmaids wear anything like that! And it certainly doesn't make me think of Jordan! If everyone else is in cocktail dresses (which I doubt) then they will be dressed inappropriately - full length dresses an absolute must for black tie, imho.

Because there's plenty of detail on the dress itself, I think you'd be wise to keep jewellery v simple - like your idea of a silver bangle.

bellabelly Sun 27-Jul-08 17:16:44

This bangle is sparkly and fab frommonsoon

MrsBadger Sun 27-Jul-08 17:17:44

look, these are students at a black tie do this summer
these are sixthformers at a ball with their parents
these are from a 'work' black tie do
these are from a charity ball

MrsBadger Sun 27-Jul-08 17:18:29

bellabelly, who hosts your balls?!

bellabelly Sun 27-Jul-08 17:25:01

Mrs B, sadly can't remember the last time I went to one!

bellabelly Sun 27-Jul-08 17:27:26

Thisis a nice shape but would be better in solid metal rather than wire.

bellabelly Sun 27-Jul-08 17:28:56

I like this one!drool...

littlelapin Sun 27-Jul-08 17:29:42

littlelapin Sun 27-Jul-08 17:30:48

bellabelly Sun 27-Jul-08 17:31:12

Can you get a trusted friend to do your make-up for you? Experiment with a few different looks before the big event?

bellabelly Sun 27-Jul-08 17:31:42

LL, I am envy - so beautiful, sigh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now