Talk

Advanced search

Is it possible to find a pair or stylish glasses fairly cheaply online?

(14 Posts)
Beauregard Sat 26-Jul-08 22:02:42

Has anyone done this?

Sibh Sat 26-Jul-08 22:15:50

Hi, pelvicfloor--'Glasses direct' have been really good--I used them first two years ago and then after DD broke those glasses I bought two pairs in march. One, standard pair of thin gold frames for about £15, (to replace my previous really quite funky black ones--always mistaken for being v. expensive) and some prescription sunglasses which came to £35 because of the tint.

They have sales and offers on quite often, and post to Ireland. They turned up from England after 5 days this time which was brilliant I thought.

To pick the glasses there is a catalogue, or you can scan in a small pick of yourself and try them on on their website. It can be a bit prone to bouncing you out of this process and there's no way to store a shortlist on the site, so if you're using it and you want to compare a few pairs, make a note of the styles on paper.

Hope this helps.

Beauregard Sat 26-Jul-08 22:19:07

Thankssmile
How do you know that the style will suit you though??

Beauregard Sat 26-Jul-08 22:26:58

Has anyone got any nice glasses?

PortAndLemon Sat 26-Jul-08 22:32:15

GD have a facility to upload a photo of yourself and try out any of their frames on it (I've never ordered from them, but have played with carried out serious glasses research using it).

Sibh Sun 27-Jul-08 01:09:12

Yes, you upload a picture (not a pick as I typed earlier), resize it and then put the glasses on the pic. They also give you frame details for each set of glasses, and explain how to read the same details off your existing frames which helps you to decide if the frames will be too big, wide etc. I think you can, for a small fee, get frames sent out to try aswell. It's certainly worth mucking about on the site. It kept DS amused for ages ...

NotQuiteCockney Sun 27-Jul-08 07:04:22

But when you buy glasses in an optician, they use the location of your pupil to determine where the thinnest bit of the glass should be ... maybe not a big deal if you're not very short sighted, but still ...

Sibh Sun 27-Jul-08 11:54:35

Glasses direct ask for the details abut your pupil on their forms and use it when they make up their glasses--I think they just added this recently but I needed the info to buy my glasses from them in March.

macherie Sun 27-Jul-08 20:17:37

You could go into an optician and try on diferent styles to see what suits you, then try to find the same online. Usually there is a style number and also a number for the size of the frame. Having said that, the fit of your glasses is very important, and the optician will be able to ensure that you are looking through the correct part of the lens, so if your prescription is complicated it might be better to get your glasses from an optician. A lot of the high street ones do good deals.

Beauregard Sun 27-Jul-08 20:58:38

Thanks for the repliessmile

I already have some glasses but really dont like them so wanted to look a bit more 'with it' by investing in a decent pair.
I have Astigmatism in both eyes and should wear glasses all the time but i am naughty and only wear them for driving ,mumsnetting and reading/writing.

Beauregard Sun 27-Jul-08 20:59:48

Meant to say that i always feel too self conscious trying specs on in the opticians ,hence the glasses i dont like.

theSuburbanDryad Sun 27-Jul-08 21:05:52

I would never recommend buying glasses online as you won't get the proper measurements done - you can ask your optician's to do it for you, but they usually charge you to take the measurement away!

If you really hate trying on frames in the shop, why don't you buy the frames online, then take them to an optician's to be glazed? You'll need to have some proof of purchase though, as most places won't glaze brand new frames in case they've been shoplifted!

macherie Sun 27-Jul-08 21:16:50

I really wouldn't buy glasses on the internet if you have astigmatism. The exact measurements are vital and your glasses would need to be adjusted by someone qualifed. If they are even 1 milimeter out, you won't be seeing properly.

Beauregard Sun 27-Jul-08 21:23:35

Oh ok i shall have to brave the shops [scared]
Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now