Talk

Advanced search

Hair dressers help (or anyone that knows alot about hair colouring) - colour advice needed

(14 Posts)
mamachat Fri 25-Jul-08 22:41:09

I have got very dark brown hair sometimes I dye it black. I really really want to have coloured streaks, a dark but cool colour like dark red or maybe purple...

My problem is no colur will take to my hair as it is too dark. And if I lighten it with bleach first the colour I put on top goes wishy washy very very quickly...

Any got a solution to my problem please let me know. Also got any colour ideas of what colour I could dye my hair...

Thanks x x

HollyandNoah Fri 25-Jul-08 22:50:15

hey, i used to dye my hair black, then bright red, then black and chop n change back and forth a lot. I used to bleach it first, then bleach it again. It went gingery first time then yellow 2nd, then u used these little pots of hair dye called 'la rich directions' I used piller box red, but there are loadsa different shades.

http://file044b.bebo.com/10/large/2008/07/16/09/5698061660a8332616079l.jpg << thats how it turned out.

After like 3 years my hair was pretty messed up and i had to cut it all. eep! Sooo i wouldnt say bleach your hair atall ever! A hairdresser will be able to do it safely for you. I couldn't find a hairdresser who would touch mines after i bleached it.

mamachat Fri 25-Jul-08 22:55:24

hollyandnoah - thanks for the picture, I only want to dye a few strands as not that brave to have all red hair...

The colour looked great tho...

mamachat Fri 25-Jul-08 22:55:26

hollyandnoah - thanks for the picture, I only want to dye a few strands as not that brave to have all red hair...

The colour looked great tho...

HollyandNoah Fri 25-Jul-08 23:00:02

I dont think a few strands would be such a problem then! Go for it:P

nancy75 Fri 25-Jul-08 23:07:48

i used ro have colour put in to my naturally black hair, think it was called magicolour by loreal, you do not need to lighten first and takes much longer to go wishy washy, but i know that it is hard to colour over black hairdye, so give that a miss for a while before you have it done.

HollyandNoah Fri 25-Jul-08 23:14:47

there was one that you could mix up in a tray and it didnt need prelightening... what was it again.....jerome russell.. maybe! They gave you a little highlighting brush with it. Sold in superdrug, not too sure if they still do though.

mamachat Fri 25-Jul-08 23:17:17

oh i will look out for it, i really want quite a subtle red or purple for a few streaks underneath...

nancy75 Fri 25-Jul-08 23:18:26

mamachat, the one i was talkig about was done at the hairdressers, i dont think you can get it in shops

mamachat Fri 25-Jul-08 23:23:52

well i have a friend that is a hair dresser, so i can get her to do it for me but she doesn't know how to colour my hair with out it going wishy washy I think it is the colour we put over the top...

Purplepillow Fri 25-Jul-08 23:35:56

Maybe she is taking too much colour out, When colouring blonde to darker shades you have to put a wash of red on first so the colour holds better.

If your friend does bleach it for you tell her to leave it just long enough for the colour to lift a tiny bit and that should be enough for your red or purple colours hth grin

mamachat Fri 25-Jul-08 23:45:11

thanks purplepillow, sounds like goos advice, the other problem i have is somtimes the colou is uneven as it lifts more at the roots then the bottom, any advice on how to deal with that??

LadySweet Sat 26-Jul-08 01:29:02

Apply the colour to the mid-length/ends first if you can - colour lifts more at the roots because it is on longer and the heat from your scalp lifts it too

mamachat Sat 26-Jul-08 21:25:36

thanks for the tip ladysweet

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now