Talk

Advanced search

Hairdressers and their lack of imagination

(20 Posts)
pointydog Fri 25-Jul-08 16:46:12

You know, ever since straighteners were invented, hairdressers seem incapable of doing anything other than straightening. They have become de-skilled in the drying department.

I've had quite a few different hairdressers over the past couple of years, they all ask if I want my hair straightened and when I say 'no, I want volume' they have all strightened the fuck out of it using a brush and hairdryer.

What's wrong with them?

poshtottie Fri 25-Jul-08 18:39:25

I agree though my hairdresser who is in her forties and used to teach hairdressing doesn't use straigteners on my hair but most I have been too rough dry and then use straighteners. Its downright lazy imo.

I used to go to a fab hairdresser in Devon who was italian and used to be able to curl my hair with just a brush, it was the best ever. He said in Italy a lot of women have long hair and he was just used to doing it that way.

JRocks Fri 25-Jul-08 18:55:23

My hairdresser doesn't just straighten, but I know lots that do. It's crap, as poker straight hair doesn't actually suit that many people. Very lazy IMO.

pointydog Fri 25-Jul-08 19:23:47

yes, very lazy. And no consideration for all those who leave the salon with tiny looking, disproportionate heads

FluffyMummy123 Fri 25-Jul-08 19:25:11

Message withdrawn

oi Fri 25-Jul-08 19:26:29

you know what I find weird? No matter what you say or how you tell them you want it cut, they nod, and then you come out looking exactly the same as you did the time before perhaps with just a teeny bit more or less taken off.

oi Fri 25-Jul-08 19:27:02

or it looks different for about 4 hours then miraculously goes back to the way it was before

pointydog Fri 25-Jul-08 19:28:10

an upside down walking sperm

RubyRioja Fri 25-Jul-08 19:28:13

then change your hairdresser!
Mine moonlights doing hair for 'adult' videos, so I have to be quite vocal about what I want!

pointydog Fri 25-Jul-08 19:28:39

yes oi I have experienced that too

pointydog Fri 25-Jul-08 19:29:53

I have changed. There's only so many times I cn change in the small towns I frequent.

I don't want to pay big city prices.

I had it dried in Aberdeen for my sister's wedding and that one made a very good job of volumising. It was fab. All swushy and out there

oi Fri 25-Jul-08 19:31:20

oh yes volumising is good, never lasts though does it

Ruby, did she just drop that gem into conversation while you were trying to persuade her not to backcomb your hair?

RubyRioja Fri 25-Jul-08 19:33:14

Once I had the bouffant blonde locks and the 3 inch nails on...grin

Q an art to it apparantly - lots of hair to groom in the old days before Brazillians too

Slubberdegullion Fri 25-Jul-08 19:43:25

I completely agree pointy.

I don't mind the straightened look but it is something I can do at home. What I can't do at home is the twidly brush under hand flick and dryer (Eddie the Eagle) ski jump doobery.

I get bits going out and bits going under, and it all looks wrong and horrid.

I book and pay for a cut and blow dry. Put those straightening tongs away you idle bugger.

pointydog Fri 25-Jul-08 20:04:16

My hairdresser fumbled and dropped the brush three times today. She was either hungover or not at all used to drying with a brush

Slubberdegullion Fri 25-Jul-08 20:08:38

3 drops is really quite crap.

Were you giving her a slow silent hmm?

ThatBigGermanPrison Fri 25-Jul-08 20:16:05

I had my hair blowdried PROPERLY for the first time in years the other week. All the others ask to use straighteners, and as I have started saying no (I have naturally curly, not too frizzy hair ffs) they stand there like so many trained chimps waiting for their next banana.

"Whtcha want me to do wiv it den?"

"I want you to blow dry it, please."

"Ummm. Okay. Ummmm." <<<Disappears into back room - "Gemmaaarrrrrr! Need you out the front a sec, got a fussy one, won't have it straightened, dunno what she wants me to do with it!">>

Enter Gemmarrrrr. Gemmarrrr clearly has barely touched a blow dryer in the last 5 years - since leaving college, in fact.

"Oh, you've got lovely hair. It'd look lovely straight."

"Well, no, actually, it doesn't, it makes me look 15 years older than I am, so I'll have it blow dried curly"

"Well, blowdrying curls in is tricky on hair like this..."

Hair like what? Curly hair? Yes, I can see how it would be tricky to blow dry the curls back in, after you have followed your normal modus operandi and knocked them all out with a nuclear blast from the hair dryer and a paddle brush hmm- but here's a novel idea - try not brushing them all out in the first place, and instead of raking your grease laden digits down through my hair, try scrunching some mousse through it!

pointydog Fri 25-Jul-08 20:17:22

in my head, slubber, in my head.

pointydog Fri 25-Jul-08 20:18:41

blowdrying curls is tricky - lol

Slubberdegullion Fri 25-Jul-08 20:39:04

LOL at GermanPrison

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now