Talk

Advanced search

Am I the only one who thinks that black women and straight hair generally don't go well together?

(195 Posts)
MrsThierryHenry Fri 25-Jul-08 15:47:35

Yes, it's Friday afternoon idle timewasting chat time!

When I see a black woman (or man, for that matter) with straight hair, I just can't help thinking that 99% of the time some lovely curls would suit them SO much better. Compare this to this.

Now, okay, perhaps Beyonce's not the best example here, as she would look amazing even with no hair at all (the cow! envy) but on the whole IMO black skin and straight hair is not a happy pudding.

Anyone else?

Hecate Fri 25-Jul-08 15:57:16

Nope.

hanaflower Fri 25-Jul-08 15:58:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

electricluluarella Fri 25-Jul-08 15:59:21

i think women and men for that matter can do whatever they want with their hair, regardless of skin colour etc

lots of curly haired women use straighteners or perm their straight hair

meh.....

MrsFearnleyWhittingstall Fri 25-Jul-08 15:59:59

hmm I would maybe get a hardhat .

LyraSilvertongue Fri 25-Jul-08 16:01:08

Would you also say all white women should have straight hair? or is it only black women you'd like to deny the choice to?
hmm

LyraSilvertongue Fri 25-Jul-08 16:02:10

What about very dark skinned indian women? They generally have straight hair. Does that 'not go well together' either? Should they all hot-foot it down the hairdressers for a curly perm?

CatIsSleepy Fri 25-Jul-08 16:02:10

erm
I think, perhaps, you're the only one that feels like this...

IllegallyBrunette Fri 25-Jul-08 16:02:28

Blimey, what a thing to say.

Rubyrubyruby Fri 25-Jul-08 16:03:52

Stargazing Fri 25-Jul-08 16:04:17

I am a dark-skinned Indian woman with straight hair.

I think I look smokin'!

think dark-skinned/ black women are generally beautiful and can therefore carry off any type of hair. White women on the other hand ... bah. Too ugly to deserve hair at all.

MrsThierryHenry Fri 25-Jul-08 16:04:37

Hmmm...don't misunderstand me, folks, I'm not so much saying what people 'should' and 'shouldn't' do...it's more a question of 'does it look good?'

I agree, hanaflower, with your statement about face shape - there are some black women who have quite 'European' features and who even I think suit straight hair better than women who have more 'African' features. But when I see black women around me with straight hair, 9 times out of 10 I think curls (afro or bigger curls) would just look muuuuuch better.

As for your question about Japanese women - that's not what I was asking! smile

Stargazing Fri 25-Jul-08 16:05:04

erm... I hope you lot will know that was a joke.

(Not the bit about me being hot. That part was true grin )

schneebly Fri 25-Jul-08 16:05:23

eh?

Lauriefairycake Fri 25-Jul-08 16:05:44

'European features' hmm

get out now........

when in a hole stop digging grin

electricluluarella Fri 25-Jul-08 16:06:26

but whether it looks good is nothing to do with whether women are black or white.. it is to do with that individual. and if they think they look good, then great !

Dragonbutter Fri 25-Jul-08 16:06:47

beyonce's parents
not that it matters. what a ridiculous thing to say!

CatIsSleepy Fri 25-Jul-08 16:07:10

you might as well ask, do white women look good with straight hair?
it's a bit of a daft question really

LyraSilvertongue Fri 25-Jul-08 16:07:21

Most black women's hair in it's natural state is more like this than the flowing curls in the Beyonce picture.
Now can you understand why straight is so popular?

MrsThierryHenry Fri 25-Jul-08 16:07:42

Dragon - I'm not sure what you're trying to say...please elucidate!

MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Fri 25-Jul-08 16:08:06

Dropdeadfred Fri 25-Jul-08 16:08:27

Beyonce looks better with straight hair out of those two pics..her curls look crispy

RubyRioja Fri 25-Jul-08 16:09:08

Whilst I would ardently defend any woman or man's right to style their hair as they please, I think the 'Europeanisation' of black women is a shame.

You know the whole skin lightening, hair straightening thing that did go on. All part of our racist heritage I guess. I don't know if it is so strong these days. Generally speaking my black friends tend to braid (at no small cost and aggro).

I do think it is fab, when a black woman wears her hair very short, like Josphine Baker , or long like Diana Ross.

Up to them obv.

MrsThierryHenry Fri 25-Jul-08 16:10:00

Lyra...mine's not! More like this

kormachameleon Fri 25-Jul-08 16:10:49

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now