Talk

Advanced search

How do I dress up this dress?

(23 Posts)
PeaMcLean Wed 23-Jul-08 21:16:33

I've got a long black evening dress from Coast, a little bit like this the only real difference is the neck line is cut on the cross and drapes across the boobs, rather than being V neck.

Anyway. Very simple frock. And a bit boring? I've worn it three times now.

Should I bother trying to dress it up with accessories for a bit of variety? And if so, what? I normally just wear a small necklace with it.

JackieNo Wed 23-Jul-08 21:18:47

Is it a halter neck? Limits what you can do necklace-wise, imo. Maybe a really long necklace? Chain-type belt? (not both at once). mahoosive 'statement' bangle/s?

JackieNo Wed 23-Jul-08 21:19:34

(not sure about the chain-type belt - you'd have to try it. Someone at the office was wearing a fairly simple black drapey dress today, and she'd put one with it - really worked well).

PeaMcLean Wed 23-Jul-08 21:21:29

No, the one I've got just goes over the shoulders. Not halter neck, and with the drapey bit as well. Sorry, couldn't find it on ebay so that's the closest I could do. Basically just a simple long black dress.

and a long slit to the thigh. So I could do with new shoes as well I think.

Stargazing Wed 23-Jul-08 21:22:52

long dingle-dangle earrings, big cocktail ring, fab shoes. And plain dress means you can go to town with hair & makeup.

let us know about the neckline though. If it's not halterneck you could wear a cuff, in which case no earrings.

JackieNo Wed 23-Jul-08 21:22:53

Well if it isn't a halterneck, maybe a big collar thing - choker style? And yes, an excuse to buy new shoes always goodgrin.

JackieNo Wed 23-Jul-08 21:23:38

Agree with Stargazing - if choker-style thing, no earrings (or just tiny and v plain ones).

hatwoman Wed 23-Jul-08 21:24:44

hmm. sounds great and sometimes less is more. don't forget that it looks just as good now as it did the first time you wore it - unless you're going to events with loads of the same people I'd be tempted not to dress it up. If you want to chamhe something I'd keep it simple - maybe a different necklace - try a choker perhaps and/or maybe a simple but elegant hair clip. I'd go for silver. but I really wouldn't try too hard - it looks great.

Stargazing Wed 23-Jul-08 21:26:33

a coloured shoe would be good. Shocking pink, metallic? Saw some divine ones today but they were Choos, is that out of the question?

PeaMcLean Wed 23-Jul-08 21:29:40

LOL, yes, Choos are out of the question grin Lovely idea though.

PeaMcLean Wed 23-Jul-08 21:31:11

Hatwoman, it will be the same people. It's a work thing, I'll be working myself, but I guess i just fancy a change.

Stargazing Wed 23-Jul-08 21:33:44

lots of lovely metallics on Faith website too.

If you fancy a change you should go for it. Terrible thing, boredom.

Lola234 Thu 24-Jul-08 15:19:43

yes, i think some jewellery would be look great. either a statement necklace or a bold cuff.

PeaMcLean Thu 24-Jul-08 17:01:25

What do you mean by a cuff?

[unstylish alert!]

Stargazing Thu 24-Jul-08 17:10:06

like a collar if around the neck like so or a cuff for the wrist like so

JackieNo Thu 24-Jul-08 17:17:01

I saw this very expensive Elsa Peretti cuff in a magazine the other day and fell in love.

Stargazing Thu 24-Jul-08 17:29:22

oooh la la Jackie that is gorgeous

Lola234 Fri 25-Jul-08 16:29:10

well something really statement would look fantastic, would you like me to recommend some links?

I would say topshop and h&m if your thinking in that budget, otherwise i would go for one really good quality but statement piece. maybe a yves saint laurent cuff with their stars design.

PeaMcLean Fri 25-Jul-08 20:35:34

I'm now sort of thinking a long necklace rather than a cuff around the neck. Though that doesn't rule out something on the arm. I think something around my neck like that won't really suit me, though could look good on other people.

Yes, do make suggestions please. I'm not quite as cheap as H&M but really just after ideas. smile

JackieNo Fri 25-Jul-08 23:18:41

Not 100% convinced about this one, but this sort of length?

zwiggy Fri 25-Jul-08 23:20:06

flower in the hair?

JackieNo Fri 25-Jul-08 23:22:59

Another long necklace?

PeaMcLean Sat 26-Jul-08 11:08:59

right, what I'm thinking now, can I explain this? is, right, see these beads. You know how people knot them at cleavage height then they go straight down to the waist. Something that shape / length. Only much more interesting than these ones I've linked to.

IYSWIM. Think that would go with the dress shape.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now