Talk

Advanced search

Where to look for bridemaids' dresses, Glasgow or Edinburgh? (And did I put the apostrophe in the right place?)

(18 Posts)
MmeLindt Wed 23-Jul-08 19:26:30

I am getting paranoid about puntuation because of all the damn pedants on MN

We are heading off to look for bridesmaids' dresses for DB and SIL-to-be on Sunday. Should we go to Glasgow or Edinburgh and can anyone recommend a good shop?

At the moment it is just looking to see what styles suit. Two of the bridesmaids are about size 22+ so if anyone knows of a shop that does lovely dresses for voluptuous ladies, then please let me know.

Bink Wed 23-Jul-08 19:29:43

Just popping in to say Well Done on the apostrophe: it is correct. (Brilliant way of getting replies to your post, NB: will thieve.)

Dunno about Glasgow vs Edinburgh, the old assumption (when I was growing up tastefully in E'burgh) was Glasgow = glitz & glam, Edinburgh = classic & polite. So depends on what you're after.

motherinferior Wed 23-Jul-08 19:31:19

Bink is a Very Paradigm of Classic and Polite grin

MmeLindt Wed 23-Jul-08 19:56:37

I did think about putting something about fussy eaters in my OP: seems to be a popular theme today

MmeLindt Wed 23-Jul-08 20:46:01

hopeful bump

MmeLindt Thu 24-Jul-08 19:35:09

Where are all the Weegies?

Another hopeful wee bump...

fryalot Thu 24-Jul-08 19:36:00

can't help with where to get your dresses.

But twas a perfect apostrophe grin

MmeLindt Thu 24-Jul-08 20:46:46

Maybe I should post in the Pedant's Corner

smurfgirl Thu 24-Jul-08 20:49:00

Alfred Angelo do nice bridesmaids dresses but you have to get them from a bridal shop and most bridal shops are not open on Sundays.

I can't think of anywhere high street off the top of my head.

Catalogues are a good source though - Grattan and Littlewoods particularly.

MmeLindt Thu 24-Jul-08 20:54:18

Yes! A non-Pedant answer. Thankyou Smurfgirl

I never thought about Littlewoods, will go and see what they have on the website. Never heard of Grattan, but will check them out too.

MrsMuddle Thu 24-Jul-08 22:29:29

Glasgow definitely! Not quite sure where, though...

HollyandNoah Sat 26-Jul-08 00:07:53

Hey,

I'm in Falkirk. Right in the middle and i say, Glasgow for nights out and clubbing, Edinburgh for shopping.
I studied in Edinburgh and my partner is from Glasgow so i spent a fair amount of time in both.
There is a shop in Glasgow thats good for bridesmaid stuff. Not sure the street it's on but it is straight across from Argos and just off Argyle Street. Stockwell Street my partner says. xx

MmeLindt Mon 28-Jul-08 12:03:05

Thanks everyone for your help. We went to Glasgow in the end.

We went to Capri Skies in Bath Street, just opposite Berketex Brides. They were good in there, although they did kind of chuck us out at 3.30pm because they had to tidy up and cash up for closing at 4pm. The girl who served us was great when we were in earlier though.

We also went to Signature Brides, they had a good selection but the service was not as good as in Capri Skies.

We did not get any further that that, it is very time consuming and we only had a few hours. Was great fun though. And we have found 2 dresses that we really liked.

PinkPussyCat Mon 28-Jul-08 12:05:58

Just in case you're not quite finished looking yet... Have you tried Dreams? It's at the top of King Street in Stirling. They have a good range toosmile

CoolYourJets Mon 28-Jul-08 12:44:31

Emma Roy in Edinburgh has quite a lot.

ExterminAitch Mon 28-Jul-08 12:46:00

i heard that BHS do nice bridesmaidy frocks, funnily enough. and monsoon.

Habbibu Mon 28-Jul-08 12:57:54

Debenhams do some lovely proper bridesmaidy things, and have some very pretty dresses in general in the designer section.

MmeLindt Tue 29-Jul-08 09:35:45

Thanks for the tips. I think we have pretty much decided on one of the dresses, just the one bridesmaid to try it on and see if she likes it.

We looked in BHS but they don't do bridalwear all year round for some reason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now