Talk

Advanced search

Dress Code for Graduation Ceremony

(24 Posts)
Lazylou Wed 23-Jul-08 10:24:04

Hi, I am graduating from uni tomorrow and I have no idea on the dress code apart from that we are not allowed to wear jeans or shorts.

I was just wondering, for those that have been there, what I should be looking at? I have no time to buy anything new, nor the funds but I can do formal or I can do smart casual.

Which would you go for/reccomend?

Slouchy Wed 23-Jul-08 10:26:46

Smart trews or skirt; decent, polished shoes. wear a shirt as buttons hold the hood in place and stop it strangling you! And take hair grips for the hat.

Lazylou Wed 23-Jul-08 10:36:06

Thanks Slouchy. Knew about the buttons thing, have been told to bring safety pins just in case but didn't think of grips for the hat. I've got a funny feeling I'm going to have problems with that so will definately bring grips.

Sidge Wed 23-Jul-08 10:40:27

Wear something fairly cool, those gowns are HOT!

I wore a summery skirt and blouse to mine, and flattish shoes - we had to walk across a highly polished wooden stage and I didn't want to risk slipping.

hanaflower Wed 23-Jul-08 10:43:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lazylou Wed 23-Jul-08 10:44:10

Lol Sidge. The slipping over on the stage would, without a doubt be me...

I am thinking maybe a pair of boring black trousers, and a shirt/blouse kind of thing.

And of course, the flat shoes to avoid slipping embarrasments grin

EffiePerine Wed 23-Jul-08 10:45:16

I'd go for black and white if you can - no risk of clashing with the gown/hood

we had to wear black and white (white tie for the men) for our graduation and it made for very nice photos

SqueakyPop Wed 23-Jul-08 10:47:01

You should wear something smart in black/white.

Lazylou Wed 23-Jul-08 10:47:47

I'm a bit rubbish at the accessorizing thing tbh, so jewellery will be what I always wear: one small pair of gold earrings, a gold bangle (which my mum gave to me when I was in labour with DD as some kind of family tradition), my watch, my small gold locket ( a present from DD) and my mum ring (again a present from DD. When I wear it tomorrow, it will remind me of my DD and DS as they won't be there and it is the first time I will have left my DS for any length of time...).

As for the hair, again, I am rubbish at styles and stuff so my mum is finishing work early to come and straighten it for me (although I reckon by the time I get there, it will be tied up again hmm)

Ellbell Wed 23-Jul-08 10:48:47

Congratulations, Lazylou (obviously not that lazy, if you've got yourself a degree smile)!

Safety pins are better than buttons. If you attach the hood to the buttons of a blouse the weight of the hood (they are heavy) will pull the blouse up creating an unattractive 'ruched' effect at the front, and (depending on body shape/length of blouse) reveal either your stomach or your bra. Far better to pin the button-loop of the hood onto the gown, quite low down (below nork-level) and that will keep it in place.

Definitely agree with Sidge about wearing something light to prevent roasting.

Also better to avoid patterned outfits, which can look a bit odd under the plain gown. Dark trousers/skirt with a plain-coloured top works well.

Ultra high heels (unless you wear them all the time) are not a great idea, as you'll probably have to climb steps and walk (as Sidge said) across a stage which will probably be shiny/slippy.

Depends where you are for the hat thing. Where I am, the graduands don't wear hats at all (though staff have to wear them and to go through an absurd doffing/bowing ritual which no-one ever gets quite right).

Ellbell Wed 23-Jul-08 10:51:32

Also agree re. avoiding clashing colours (do you know what colour your hood is?).

MrsBadger Wed 23-Jul-08 11:01:52

have spent far too much time wearing academic dress so here are my personal tips (feel free to ignore at will!):

- wear trousers
gowns come in all different lengths, but hire ones are normally either too short (hem of skirt peeks out) or too long (perfect hemline of skirt is obscured and little ankles stick out the bottom)
- wear a good colour
you can guarantee your hood will be garish. Either find out in advance what colour it'll be and get something that matches/coordinates, or go for black to match the gown.
- wear a jacket with buttons, or take safety pins
the hood usually has a loop at the front to put round one of your jacket (not blouse) buttons to stop it slipping backwards and trying to strangle you - men have it easy as the neckband of the hood goes under a tie. Avoid necklaces for the same reason - the hood will strangle you with them.
- wear long sleeves (unless it's roasting)
gowns often have really freakish-length sleeves too, and I always find I look very odd with little bare wrists emerging from huge flapping sleeves
- keep track of your hood
they have a dreadful habit of slipping off at the shoulders, making you look like weirdly risque dancer. Couple of pins may help. Some handy hints here
- keep tugging your gown forward by the front facing
the back pleats are very heavy - combined with an off-the-shoulder hood this can get both messy and uncomfortable.
- take kirbigrips if you're going to wear your mortarboard

Generally I wear a black trouser suit with a white blouse, or sometimes a camisole, as it ticks all the boxes, is comfortable, and doesn't clash too badly with my nasty yellow hood, but a black wrap dress or a pencilly skirt outfit could work too.

hanaflower Wed 23-Jul-08 11:05:25

Lola234 Wed 23-Jul-08 11:24:45

i would go for a smart dress but make it casual by wearing flats.

Lazylou Wed 23-Jul-08 14:49:04

Wow, thanks for all those tips!

I went out today and despite not having the funds to bur anything new, I bought myself a black trouser suit (£10 trousers, £18 jacket) from Peacocks. It is black with a kind of slight dotted pinstripe through it. The jacket, when on looks fitted as it comes in at the waist an has two buttons on the front pulling it in. I also bought a white shirt - you know the kind with the 3/4 lenght sleeves for a fiver.

Got it home, tried it on and it looks fab! Easily the nicest thing I have bought for ages. I'm erally pleased with it.

I have no idea what colour the hood is; I just assumed it would be black but I don't care how horrid it is now because it should hopefully go with the black of my outfit.

Tried it on with flat shoes and the trousers are a tad too long, so have had to go with my knee high boots. I know I am going to bake in them but they only have a slight heel and I really couldn't justify spending more money (that I don't really have lol) on shoes when my boots are perfectly suitable heel wise.

I'm really excited now! grin

Lilymaid Wed 23-Jul-08 15:08:28

I went to DS1's graduation a fortnight ago and the standard dress for graduands was suit for boys, suit or shirt and skirt/trousers for girls. A few girls wore very short skirts and got a lot of cheers! Your outfit sounds very appropriate. I hope you have a lovely day and all your family will be cheering you on.
The worst dressed people were a couple of senior academics on the stage who wore jeans and scruffy shirts - they were aged hippy types and their arrival on stage (detailed on the screens in the hall) was accompanied by much laughing.
If you want photos from the official photographer the best thing is to get out of the hall into the queue as quickly as possible after the ceremony. DS1 had to queue for around an hour to get his done.

hanaflower Wed 23-Jul-08 16:03:27

EffiePerine Wed 23-Jul-08 16:12:04

The hood should be coloured silk of some kind - mine was red. The suit sounds v nice and will go with anything (also v useful for future events)

WilfSell Wed 23-Jul-08 16:13:55

More gown tips: what works for me is blouse with buttons for hood loops but then - genius - you safety pin your blouse to your trouser waistband (holds it all in place!)

And some gowns have strap ties which go under your arms and tie round the back (inside the gown) which stop it slipping off your shoulders. Use them if you have them.

KristinaM Wed 23-Jul-08 16:20:00

if i were you i woudl wear the flat shoes and put up the hem of your trousers. you will be too hot in knee high boots

otherwise it sounds perfect

go for classic make up and hair style, you want to look polished and sophisticated not fashionable

just watch your necklace doesn't get caught on the hood and break. i would normally say don't wear it but I know it has sentimental value to you smile

have a lovely day

Lazylou Wed 23-Jul-08 17:40:49

Hmmmm, make up isn't something I'd though of and tbh I wouldn't know what to wear or how to put it on, well not in a "trendy" way anyway more like my mum would blush and as for the hair, its going to be down and straight - no messing! grin

KristinaM Thu 24-Jul-08 22:39:55

how did it go?

Lazylou Sat 26-Jul-08 16:54:01

It was brilliant! Thank you for asking. I had the best time, felt really special and it was definately on a par with the day each of my kids were born!

Everyone is really proud and it has made me more determined to finish the third year and teacher training courses that I am planning on.

I looked fab too wink

KristinaM Sat 26-Jul-08 20:04:46

glad to hear it went so well smile

remember to post a photo on your profile!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now