Talk

Advanced search

How do you choose or wear your jewelery?

(35 Posts)
PrettyCandles Tue 22-Jul-08 22:28:29

Do you choose your adornments to match your outfits? To match other jewelry? Do you wear sets? Or just wear what you want because you like it?

I tend to do the last, and I'm sure that what I wear doesn't 'go'. Does it matter? Do I look confident or haven't-a-clue?

MadBadandDangeroustoKnow Tue 22-Jul-08 22:59:30

I have adornments (wonderful word) which I think work better with some outfits than others and so do tend to match them accordingly. I don't really do sets though, as I don't much like gold, so nothing matches my wedding ring.

But I think you're right - it is about confidence. I lack the confidence to wear my wackiest earrings to work, for example, and play safe with tasteful little pearl studs and the like, but why not be bold? As long as you don't actually stop the traffic - and possibly even then - what's wrong with being a bit quirky?

<<leaves thread to start the campaign for non-conformist jewellery>>

SueW Tue 22-Jul-08 23:39:45

For years I wore wedding band, diamond ring and diamond necklace only.

Now I match my outfits. I'm a recent convert though and I don't have a lot so when it's sale time I tend to pop into shops regularly, wearing different outfits and pick up bits and pieces. E.g. this week got bold black and ivory necklace from Monsoon reduced iirc 70% to £4.50 and a thick ivory-coloured bracelet for a quid from Evans/Dorothy Perkins.

There's a great stall in Derby Westfield which sells bold beaded necklaces for a fiver each. I love it.

Don't really do ear rings though.

twinsetandpearls Wed 23-Jul-08 00:25:33

I love costume jewellery and have lots it is one of my trademarks. Match it to my outfits.

Califrau Wed 23-Jul-08 00:32:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

UnderRated Wed 23-Jul-08 00:37:08

I always wear the same thing - ring, bracelet, tiny hoops and studs in ears, all silver - occasionally changing my earrings to match outfit. I have about 3 necklaces that I pick to match my outfit if I remember.

NappiesNoMore Wed 23-Jul-08 00:39:56

accessorising is not my strong point
i tend to wear the same few simple but much loved things and leave it at that.
i am jealous of people who can accessorise
(and this convo reminds me of heathers, anyone remember that?)

kittenloren Wed 23-Jul-08 06:14:11

NNM - one of my favourites!

'Heather left behind one of her Swatches. She'd want you to have it, Veronica, she always said you couldn't accessorise for shit...' grin

I've got a bit bolder in my 'adornments' recently (having also left most of my Swatches behind) & am buying a few big statementy bits when I see them - got a big brushed gold disc necklace from Monsoon a couple of months ago that seems to go with almost everything, could do with something similarly adaptable in silver.

I don't do earrings either, always seem to have a reaction so easier to avoid, really.

Seem to be wearing a lot of scarves recently too, although that might have more to do with the crappy changeable weather than a flair for accessorising... hmm

Cies Wed 23-Jul-08 06:24:45

I always wear two rigid silver bracelets, which were presents for special birthdays, and my wedding and engagement rings, which are white gold and diamond.

However, I chop and change necklaces and earrings. Often I try to match them to my outfit, with colour or shape.

I would love to get a few more statementy type necklaces though.

lumpsdumps Wed 23-Jul-08 07:01:41

I wear white gold with diamond necklace, white gold drop diamond earrings, my wedding ring and engagement ring and my silver rotary watch. I always wear this due to the fact that I am unable to wear costume jewellery as I have a nickel allergy. It is sometimes a pain as I get an allowance of jewellery from work and they have really nice stuff in at the moment.

LisaLessLumpy Wed 23-Jul-08 08:29:17

SueW - I have loads of necklaces from that stall in the Westfield grin

sarah293 Wed 23-Jul-08 08:33:35

Message withdrawn

LisaLessLumpy Wed 23-Jul-08 08:34:03

I always wear my wedding and engagement rings (platinum) my silver Tag Heuer (pressie from dh - well he did go skiing for a week without me)and I wear costume jewellery to match the colour I am wearing that day. I usually forget to change earings though and sometimes will go weeks just wearing pearl or diamond studs. I do have earings to match most of my necklaces though

NappiesNoMore Wed 23-Jul-08 08:34:24

kitten - yeah thats the line i wa thinking of grin

ditto re earings. i dont react to all of them, but ive been so long not wearing them (3 babies in 2.5 yrs, loooooong baby/toddler stage of grabby little hands) that they look bloody odd to me now. feel like a kid in fancy dress or a Christmas tree lol

hopefully Wed 23-Jul-08 10:21:47

I have one enormously expensive (christmas and birthday present from everyone I could think of, plus money from myself) statement type necklace that I wear literally every day. As a result all my other jewellery has fallen by the wayside. Would like to replicate this feat with a couple of really nice bangles, but not sure when I'll ever have the money again...

The downside of this is that I have some really quite pretty (and not terribly cheap) pearls and stuff that just don't get worn as I don't have the energy to think about wearing a different piece of jewellery.

Whizzz Wed 23-Jul-08 10:32:33

I waer things that I have made & then decided that they are just too nice to try & sell. grin I usually match stuff to what I am waering. I haven't bought any 'shop bought' stuff in years

Whizzz Wed 23-Jul-08 10:32:57

oh - apart from my Troll bracelet!

PrettyCandles Wed 23-Jul-08 17:17:16

So, clearly no hard-and-fast rule. And mismatched OTT is fine, as long as you carry it off with confidence grin.

Lauriefairycake Wed 23-Jul-08 17:23:07

I have so much jewellery, it's ridiculous.

I have one of the large Tiffany elsa perretti hearts that I never wear as it's too big for me (I'm too short for it)- keep wishing I could find someone who'd want to swop for the smaller one hmm

Also have 2 sets of diamond earrings and a diamond necklace I never wear. I'm so scruffy now people would just think it was costume.

FluffyMummy123 Wed 23-Jul-08 17:33:01

Message withdrawn

MaryAnnSingleton Wed 23-Jul-08 17:37:52

I am rubbish at jewellery though I have some lovely inherited things. I always wear my wedding ring and usually a big chunky silver ring on the other hand and earrings,usually pearl or diamond studs or some other silver earrings,very very rarely anything around my neck and always some kind of bangle or wooden beaded bracelet - I love wrist adornments !

ninedragons Wed 23-Jul-08 17:39:59

I choose my jewellery first and then my clothing to match. My clothes are pretty Plain Jane but I am a fiend for accessories.

Niecie Wed 23-Jul-08 17:52:33

I wear my gold wedding ring and diamond and gold eternity ring every day. I sometimes wear my engagement ring but because I now wear my eternity ring it is a bit tight in warm weather. Also wear a watch.

Apart from that I wear costume jewellery to match my outfit - sometimes make my own just so it matches. Feel a bit naked without anything round my neck these days.

I am rubbish at changing my earrings so they tend to be something small and gold - got out of the habit of changing them when DC were small and wearing anything other than gold and silver makes my ears itch after a day or two. Would change them for a night out but since that doesn't happen very often my earrings don't get changed for weeks.

MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Wed 23-Jul-08 17:56:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RubyRioja Wed 23-Jul-08 17:59:19

I have recently become much more picky about my jewellery.

Have realised
Should not wear silver near my face
Should never wear 'normal' lenght necklaces, but pendant types OK (short neck)
Earrings should be significant (long bob) but cheap (lose lots)
Cannot wear stretchy or chain bracelets only bangles
Rings need also to be significnat nut not fussy

Dh is thoroughly briefed and these restirctions apply to real and fake jewellery

Otherwise tend to be influenced by colour and level of formality

Thus endeth the sermon grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now