Talk

Advanced search

Any vintage experts out there? Want to pick your brains...

(8 Posts)
boogiewoogie Tue 22-Jul-08 20:29:35

Where can I find a gold mesh Whiting Davis style handbag online? I've tried Ebay but they are all US sellers. Can anyone recommend a reputable vintage online shop here?

many thanks.

expatinscotland Tue 22-Jul-08 20:36:21

I'm from the US. I've only seen them there recently.

My auntie gave me one of hers Whiting Davis bags - it's gold mesh from the 70s.

She didn't want it!

She said she had a bunch of 'old junk' when she cleared out the big house before her last divorce.

boogiewoogie Tue 22-Jul-08 20:48:23

Oh I do envy you! Can you explain to me why some on eBay are as cheap as £5 and some as expensive as £100? What is the "right" sort of price?

expatinscotland Tue 22-Jul-08 21:14:05

Are the ones for so cheap still in the early days of the auction/have no reserve or min. bid?

I remember my mother buying a black mesh Whiting Davis rectangular evening bag for my auntie (her sister) back in the early 80s for $100, and I thought that was a huge amount.

boogiewoogie Tue 22-Jul-08 21:30:50

No, some are Buy it Now for £7.50. Only minor flaws. I think I'll do a bit of research on completed listings.

Lola234 Wed 23-Jul-08 16:42:04

why dont you try going to a vintage fair. there are ones in earls court, mayfair.

2loudboys Wed 23-Jul-08 18:33:52

I know the lady whose site this is. She is lovely and although she doesn't have any Whiting & Davis bags on her site at the moment, she may have some in her stock, or at least be able to point you in the right direction. Good Luck.

expatinscotland Wed 23-Jul-08 18:42:07

Hmm, I'd be skeptical of a genuine Whiting Davis vintage bag at that price (£7.50) without being able to have a good look at it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now