Talk

Advanced search

i have been measured for a bra and i am 38 dd, how is this possible??

(31 Posts)
lizandlulu Mon 21-Jul-08 12:51:27

i got measured in la senza yesterday and she said i was 38 dd!! i was wearing 42 b. i got measured in marks and spencer a couple of years ago and they said i was definately 42 b/c depending on the bra.
these dd fit lovely, but i cant get my head around howhmm
i thought the b's fit well, but the dd'd fit bettersmile

RubyRioja Mon 21-Jul-08 12:55:13

M&Ssizes are v different to others imo

lizandlulu Mon 21-Jul-08 12:57:16

i got a 38 dd from m & s and that fits fine. i just dont understand how b can be mistaked for dd. in a b cup my boobs feel like they are in my armpitsgrin

LisaLessLumpy Mon 21-Jul-08 21:01:18

I was quite happily wearing a 34 b/c, then I got measured at Rigby & Pellar in London, came away with 3 32D bras

CarGirl Mon 21-Jul-08 21:02:30

because M&S measuring services is not very good!

expatinscotland Mon 21-Jul-08 21:03:32

i've never been measured in my life and probably never will because i can't afford more than a fiver or so for a bar.

so tell me what they do to measure them .

expatinscotland Mon 21-Jul-08 21:04:09

i've googled and followed instructions, but the bras always ride up and the straps fall off my knobby shoulders.

Megglevache Mon 21-Jul-08 21:05:55

Expat- that used to happen to me and I was told to go down a back size and it actually worked even though I felt at first that I couldn't breathe.

beanieb Mon 21-Jul-08 21:08:37

HAve you lost weight?

fishie Mon 21-Jul-08 21:09:41

yes i am always better in a smaller back and larger cup size. with me cup shape is a big factor, i have wide shoulders so no cleavage despite being a 34f.

expatinscotland Mon 21-Jul-08 21:11:52

thanks, meggle!

i'll try that!

so sick of the riding up and the straps falling down. i do have skinny shoulders.

norkmaiden Mon 21-Jul-08 21:12:08

expat, whatever size you think you are, subtract a couple of back sizes and add a couple of cup sizes.

Not very scientific obv, but that's what seems to happen for most! (and in R&P type places they just take one look at you, which isn't very scientific either I guess!)

lizandlulu Mon 21-Jul-08 21:21:25

my lady just put the tape measure around the part under my bust and said 'oohh i think we will try an e, or maybe a dd'

my face hit the floorgrin

Megglevache Mon 21-Jul-08 21:21:48

So true NM.

Do you have big norks?Have you a Matalan near you? They do amazingly good bras very cheaply.

Dottoressa Mon 21-Jul-08 21:22:39

M&S measured me last week, and had to admit defeat: there was no bra small enough for me!!!!! blush

lizandlulu Mon 21-Jul-08 21:24:44

i have never given a second thought to those places like rigby and peller or bravissimo cause they just didnt do my size, or so i thought.

chocolatespiders Mon 21-Jul-08 21:25:02

another vote for matalan..
i like there large size range on hangers not in boxes

norkmaiden Mon 21-Jul-08 21:28:27

L&L I think R&p do every size imaginable. And 38dd (?) is not unusual.

envy at Dotoressa!

Megglevache Mon 21-Jul-08 21:29:38

Oooh Chocospider. Yes those are the ones I have bought in bulk as previously I was spending £30 on one bra shock The multiway bra is brill.

Dottoressa Mon 21-Jul-08 21:33:36

norkmaiden envy to you!!!

Just imagine trying on lovely dresses, and having to reject them because the nork-holders are around my waist, with my so-called norks exposed to any passer-by with a magnifying glass...

lizandlulu Mon 21-Jul-08 21:34:17

i was wearing 42 dd and i thought those places didnt usually do ovr 38. dont think i could afford rigby and peller anywayblush
are they really expensive?

lizandlulu Mon 21-Jul-08 21:34:49

sorry, ment to say i was wearing 42 b.

norkmaiden Mon 21-Jul-08 21:36:23

they're expensive but so so worth it, even if you just treat yourself to one for once.

sorry Dot blush I think small boobs are great, no offence intended!

onepieceoflollipop Mon 21-Jul-08 21:37:56

In Bravissimo (and I think Rigby and Peller may be the same) they don't actually measure you - they look at what you are wearing then go from there.

At first (I went from a 34C to a 32DD) the 32 felt like I was being squashed in a far too tight bra. However I think the lady was right and that is my size, I am now used to the tightness (doesn't leave marks so not painful). I think that some of us like clothes a tiny bit loose as we associate it with comfort, also if you wear tight jeans for example they can make you feel a bit "fat" iykwim. With a bra it is different, it is meant to be snug fitting and takes a bit of getting used to.

The other thing is that if a bra fits, it will still look right hours later. When my cup size was a bit small, it looked fine when first put on, but quickly ended up bulging etc and needing adjusting to look right again.

treacletart Mon 21-Jul-08 21:44:40

Go get yourself measured at Rigby and Peller. I wager you'll be smaller round the back and bigger in the cup. Its so worth it You'll be so amazed when you wear a properly fitting bra.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now