Talk

Advanced search

does anyone have a miracle cure for really really dry hair, like CRISPY dry??

(24 Posts)
harpsichordcarrier Sat 19-Jul-08 09:54:27

a product or a natural remedy?
eggs? beer? olive oil?
I am desperate...
TIA smile

lubyluby Sat 19-Jul-08 09:55:40

any conditoner left on hair for about twenty minutes and then washed out
my best friend swears by wrappign it in cling film with the conditoenr on but i find it works just as well without the cling film.

harpsichordcarrier Sat 19-Jul-08 10:00:27

ooh cling film
that's going to look attractive grin

alibag Sat 19-Jul-08 10:08:52

Aussie 3 minute miracle reconstructor?

TheMadHouse Sat 19-Jul-08 10:10:10

Something like Shea butter rubbed in and then wrap head in a towel.

It works for my frizzy dry hair

Wash you hair thoroughly, twice, with a fairly strong shampoo like vosene. This will strip off any products coating the hair, and allow the conditioner to really penetrate properly.

Rinse off the shampoo with very warm water to open the cuticles on the hair shaft, quickly squeeze (not wring) your hair til it's almost dry, then apply a big fat dollop of a deep conditioning treatment, and comb through with a wide tooth comb or your fingers so it covers all your hair and feels quite wet.

Then pin up your hair and wrap your head in clingfilm, and for an extra step, give it a blast with your hairdryer on a low setting to warm everything up and get it soaking in. When it's all nice and warm, wrap your head in a towel and go and relax somewhere for 20 - 30 min.

Rinse it off thoroughly with warm water, then do a final rinse with cold/cool water to seal the cuticles up again and make it shine. Blowdry around a brush, should be nice and soft and smooth.

Boots do a nice banana hair mask, smells good enough to eat.

Doodle2U Sat 19-Jul-08 10:21:55

GHD's - 180 degrees of white heat - tis the ONLY thing that works for me.

Having said that - if you over use them, split ends sad

Gonna give JATGB's 'recipe' a go.

No one in the whole wide world has hair as crispy as mine. It fights back, FGS!blush

stitch Sat 19-Jul-08 10:25:05

conditioner in hair, then step into the steam room for as long as youcan stand it.
never ever going swimming without first putting either conditioner on, or olive oil, or even cooking oil at a push.
trim to get rid of split ends etc

blowsy Sat 19-Jul-08 11:02:32

If I'm alone in the house!!

I wash hair put on a deep conditioning treatment (find them all to be pretty much the same) then wrap a carrier bag around hair and then put a warm towel over that. I pop the towel in the microwave to keep it warm.

I have thick, curly, long hair and this makes it beautifully soft and shiny.

FluffyMummy123 Sat 19-Jul-08 11:03:28

Message withdrawn

Figfingers Sat 19-Jul-08 11:18:53

Agree with Luby

Any OK conditioner will work wonders if you leave it on for about 20 mins. I use L'Oreal and it makes a big difference.

I have a mass of curly, frizzy hair...but you wouldn't know ( GHD I heart you).

Fig

accessorizequeen Sat 19-Jul-08 13:07:01

Any rich conditioner will do, but I use James Brown hair mask. Overnight, wrapped in a towel (don't think i can face cling film).

2catsand1rabbit Sun 20-Jul-08 19:44:57

Don't wash your hair so often! You're probably washing out the natural oils. I used to wash my hair everyday. Then I left it a day and started washing it every other day. If I'm feeling really brave I let it go another day (2 days no washing)!

lulumama Sun 20-Jul-08 19:46:49

boots sell coconut oil, in a solid form , that melts onto your hair . put the oil on dry hair, wrap in clingfilm and then a towel, sit in hot bath for 30 mins, then shampoo and condition it out of your hair. you will notice a big difference. and use leave in conditioner and heat protecting stuff as a matter of course !

Hunnie Mon 21-Jul-08 16:45:35

My mum used to always put vegetable oil (she couldn't afford olive oil!) on our hair once a week as an intensive condition. It works a treat. But beware - I did this a few years ago for my friend's birthday dinner and where I washed it out more on the right side, the left side by the time we went clubbing was stuck to my head . Anyway, heat the olive oil gently just til warm, put on hair, wrap in clingfilm and leave as long as possible. Should do the trick!

iCodandnotDumb Mon 21-Jul-08 16:46:34

well?
report back please

cornsilk Mon 21-Jul-08 16:49:03

Ojon oil from QVC is great - about £30. Didn't like anything else from ojon though. It made my hair all glam like a WAG.

EffiePerine Mon 21-Jul-08 16:51:56

coconut oil? cheap and works (about 99p a pot from superdrug IIRC)

EffiePerine Mon 21-Jul-08 16:52:51

or if you have curly hair just rinsing and conditioning (no shampoo) is supposed to be good

(no experience as have poker straight hair)

Hunnie Mon 21-Jul-08 18:48:11

Cornsilk - Yes Ojon is good too; bit smelly, smells like smoke! But really good and can put on skin too. Little goes a long way. Fairly expensive but lasts a long time.

moonpigdotcom Mon 21-Jul-08 21:13:50

I once in extreme youth used mayonnaise on my hair to condition it. left it on for a while and then rinse with coolish water and shampooed gently. My hair's never been so silky or shiny.

Megglevache Mon 21-Jul-08 21:17:30

Get some kerastase. I think the orange one. It's pricey (for the masque) but really worth it (leave it on for as long as you can)

fishie Mon 21-Jul-08 21:19:36

jamesandthegiantbanana. good advice.

i have fine curly hair and swim so mine is like crispy seaweed unless i take pains.

if you have fine hair then not any conditioner will do because some of them don't come off without another shampoo. i like ren and waitrose.

poshtottie Mon 21-Jul-08 21:32:55

redken for distressed hair, I think its the blue range

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now