EffiePerine Thu 17-Jul-08 17:23:58

I can think of plenty of glam librarians

I work in an office of librarians and most of them are just normal

one goth

one sensible skirts and shoes type

not a public library tho

Mercy Thu 17-Jul-08 17:24:09

My mum was a librarian.

Iirc her colleagues were either drab or outré.

FabioUnblogged Thu 17-Jul-08 17:25:28

My library has a nuttter who does ear shattering stage whispers at people who she suspects of having brought food or drinks into the library. She is quite fat, so I suspect she just wants to confiscate them for her own gut expandy purposes.

IS THAT A COKE BOTTLE I SEE BEFORE ME she bellows.

Yes, love, and it's empty.

Her eyes filled with tears.....

fishie Thu 17-Jul-08 17:26:00

rather awfully they are made to wear navy nylon uniforms in my local one.

there is someone with purple wool hair extensions in the one near work.

FluffyMummy123 Thu 17-Jul-08 17:27:26

Message withdrawn

brimfull Thu 17-Jul-08 17:30:29

I'd love to work in a library-I would be uber stylish librarian.

Mercy Thu 17-Jul-08 17:31:14

They used to (I remember my mum wearing a tabard/apron thing in 1070s)

allytjd Thu 17-Jul-08 17:32:57

Speaking as someone who has twice been mistaken for a librarian while browsing among the books(one chap got very abusive when i said i didn't know where a particular book was!)I would say no! I do where glasses though and sometimes cultivate a vaguely bluestocking look as DH finds that a turn on (you know that "but Miss Jones you're beautiful!" thing as woman removes specs).

BuwchBywiog Thu 17-Jul-08 17:42:35

I'm a librarian at an FE college I dress normally I think lol

EffiePerine Thu 17-Jul-08 17:44:35

also remember that staff in public libaries are paid shit wages for dealing with loons, smelly old men looking for a warm place to sleep and idiots who want to borrow that book that had 10 years ago, can't remember the title but it was blue

a certain eccentricity in dress may be keeping them from the edge

Marina Fri 18-Jul-08 16:37:49

Well quite Effie grin
Most of the deliberately unpleasant people in libraries IME are to be found the other side of the counter
I like how I look and dress, as long as they are clean and tidy and wearing shoes and underwear, I usually like my colleagues, and I especially like it that we'd probably score nul points in the Enver Codha Style Stakes. That's what I call a pleasing result.

<<Hangs head in shame>> yes I am very unstylish. Sorry. Just get fed up with ruining lovely tops with all the crap bottom of books pick up - Fag ash, Handbag fluff, chewing gum, leaking bottle of ribena etc etc

Do think Librarians in Educational Lib's are slightly more stylish than Public Librarians. But how can you be stylish when Health & Safety dictates you can't wear open toed sandals when shelving? (a debate that we had on in the last staff meeting wink)

Marina Sat 19-Jul-08 00:21:36

Blimey biscuits I must ban birkies in my library forthwith
Know what you mean about attractive garments getting snagged on that vile cheap metal shelving or covered in the unique sticky dust generated by ancient book jacket gum breaking down wink

elkiedee Sat 19-Jul-08 00:43:02

And who wears their most stylish clothes to work? Not that I'd know, don't own any stylish clothes and I'm not even a librarian.

S1ur Sat 19-Jul-08 00:52:14

I love my librarians. Almost unreservedly grin

I have
The Man - fab fella, principled and helpful v knowledgeable - wears shirts, reasonable.

Older woman - well groomed without being scary, read my dd 4 books in a row because she asked her.

Younger woman - tasteful and understated, has gone on endless searches for me

Middle woman - not fab but I can forgive her the t-shirts on the basis of her bloody excellent skills and her unending commitment to education.

I think I may live in a pocket of library heaven, they are stylish and kind to children. nuff said.

oh cept that I should add they are paid utter shit and treated like shit by their employers and they deserve so much more.

RustyBear Sat 19-Jul-08 12:43:51

When I did a stint on a mobile library in Kent during my pre-library school training many years ago, there was a can of air freshener under the counter labelled 'Mrs Hedges - Stop 4'

"Did Mrs Hedges leave this behind?" I asked innocently.

I soon discovered why it was needed.....

EsmeWeatherwax Sun 20-Jul-08 21:50:03

Our library, which is a higher ed one, has one lot of older, really very frumpy types, a middle aged lot of rapidly heading towards frumpiness types, and the rest of us, who are all fairly stylish. But there are, in my experience, many, many very eccentric people working in libraries, who would never in a million years be able to get a proper job, and who look frankly mental.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now