Talk

Advanced search

Ok ... so ... what do I do about my hair?

(18 Posts)
NotQuiteCockney Sun 13-Jul-08 19:39:46

I am experimenting with having hair, after years of, well, not.

My hair used to be v straight and shiny and, ok, greasy. So I always wanted more body etc. Now it's a lot more grey, which seems to mean more body?

Right now it's in a sort of grown out blokes' haircut - longish near the top, then shortish around the bottom. I used to have a bob for years, and then I had a haircut that was like a short bob but with no defined part. (It needed to be cut pretty often, though.)

I think I need a haircut, it's pretty unshapen.

I am not going to colour it. I am not going to put gunk in it on a regular basis (probably ever). I am not going to blow dry it.

I like to wash it every day, because I bike/climb/run so often, but could cope with maybe rinsing it instead, every other day.

What kind of conditioner/shampoo do I need? And what sort of style?

NotQuiteCockney Mon 14-Jul-08 08:06:17

Help?

MrsBadger Mon 14-Jul-08 08:44:04

tis very hard to advise without seeing you - is going to a hairdresser for advice an option? Any shortish cut will need cutting often to keep its shape, esp if not blowdried or styled so don't think of that as a downside.

I wash my hair every day and have used many shampoos in my time but always come back to Tesco's own brand Pantene-a-like which is cheap and does the job.

fishie Mon 14-Jul-08 08:50:08

a bob could be nice for you, do you want a fringe or not? otherwise you could just keep on growing it and always put it up if you really don't want to bother with hairdressers, that's what i do. i do dye and trim it occassionally so it isn't entirely untended.

think you should at least rinse it every day. when i had no hair was amazed at how much heads sweat, hadn't noticed before.

no idea re conditioner etc, i have very dry hair so opposite prob. waitrose own brand is good value and lasts well.

SSSandy2 Mon 14-Jul-08 08:53:40

Try to leave it alone for a bit and let it grow so you have more choice in haircut?

Furball Mon 14-Jul-08 09:40:24

what about something like this doesn't need messing about with and looks good for it.

after 4 or 5 months would look like this and you could then have it all lopped off again.

If hair short like first piccy. would use light conditioner every other time so not to drag it down.

Faith in nature organic shampoos and conditioners are lovely and contain no chemicals or nastys and are not overly expensive.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 14-Jul-08 11:14:01

A bob may be the easiest, without a fringe, maybe?

Hmm, dunno about the pixie style stuff, never had a cut like that.

A friend's DP is a hairdresser, but I don't see him very often ...

MrsBadger Mon 14-Jul-08 15:55:46

I think the pixie migth be difficult with volumey hair

is it straight enough to do a grown-up take on the Petits Filous girl ie bob with side-swept fringe?

NotQuiteCockney Mon 14-Jul-08 16:22:35

Well, it's only volumey by comparison to my not-grey hair, I think? I just keep being startled by it doing anything at all.

I've got to put a pic up somewhere, maybe on FB, and get people to comment or something.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 14-Jul-08 19:19:02

Maybe someone who's actually met me irl will come on?

Oh, MrsB, we might go to Reading or something over the hols. I'll certainly be near Bicester a bit, too.

booge Mon 14-Jul-08 19:22:02

I love having a crop. Can't be arsed with blow-drying, like to wash it every day and don't do gunk. Added bonus, the other day I was likened to Audrey Hepburn (ok that was a bit of a leap of imagination) Crops rule OK!

NotQuiteCockney Mon 14-Jul-08 19:22:42

What's a crop when it's at home? Those pixie style cuts?

I've never had one like that, it might work. I mostly have glasses, but am thinking of switching to contacts ...

booge Mon 14-Jul-08 19:31:26

Yes it can be a pixie cut or just a short cut. Shorter at the front and sides, but doesn't need to be megashort.

FrannyandZooey Mon 14-Jul-08 19:34:25

A crop would be fine, and not need much if any styling
they do need cutting frequently though (4 - 6 weeks max) to look good

NotQuiteCockney Mon 14-Jul-08 19:35:33

Hmm, will have a think.

Somehow, I can't imagine myself with that haircut, but I have no idea why. I do have straight hair, which is the right thing for that. I guess I fear I'd look more like Rod Stewart than Liza Minelli?

NotQuiteCockney Mon 14-Jul-08 19:35:50

Maybe it looks more fiddly and girly than I see myself as being ...

NotQuiteCockney Fri 18-Jul-08 08:49:18

Actually, no, the issue I have is, I have quite a square (strong jawed) face - more so now than ever, with the weight loss.

NotQuiteCockney Fri 18-Jul-08 18:01:20

So would that crop thing work with a jawline?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now