Talk

Advanced search

Saw super wedding faux-pas yesterday...

(77 Posts)
RubyRioja Sun 29-Jun-08 10:46:39

Wedding guest wore white strapless dress!!!

Bride was beautiful and obviously bridal, so not the end of the world, but I thought terribly innapropriate.

Is there a MN verdict?

DrNortherner Sun 29-Jun-08 10:47:28

Ooh I agree. Cardinal sin.

RubyRioja Sun 29-Jun-08 10:48:20

The guest really should not have been wearing strapless of any hue - bingo wings could have flown home with grin

TsarChasm Sun 29-Jun-08 10:49:45

Plain white? Gosh I wouldn't have risked a dress like that as a guest tbh.

My mil and her own mother (dh's nan) both wore virtually identical blue suits. They looked like Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee hmm

cupsoftea Sun 29-Jun-08 10:51:01

once saw a wedding dress that was just like a low cut swimsuit sewn on to a wedding dress long skirt. Sooo awful.

RubyRioja Sun 29-Jun-08 10:51:49

She also had Judith Chamlers tan - you know with leathery skin!

littlelapin Sun 29-Jun-08 10:52:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squeaver Sun 29-Jun-08 10:52:45

It's times like this when you want to say "did you look in the mirror?"

Was it the talk of the wedding? Did the bride say anything?

maidamess Sun 29-Jun-08 10:52:50

I was aghast once when I saw a bride in a cream dress with <<gasp>> a white veil. People have no standards these days.

RubyRioja Sun 29-Jun-08 10:53:39

Most people give some thought to what to wear to a wedding. What goes through a person's mind - Oh yes, I'll wear a white strapless dress, no-one else will be wearing one????

squeaver Sun 29-Jun-08 10:55:02

Actually I bet she looked in the mirror and thought "yes, I look good"

littlelapin Sun 29-Jun-08 10:55:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

maidamess Sun 29-Jun-08 10:55:26

I live near a lovely grand house where people can get married and have receptions, during the day.

There is much sport to be had sitting on a bench marvelling at some peoples interpretations of what construes suitable wedding attire.

We even take a picnic sometimes grin

RubyRioja Sun 29-Jun-08 10:57:48

It is actually q tricky - you need to look smart to recognise the occasion has some gravitas, elegant but not frumpy, not too drab for the evening but not too slutty for church.

I think probably the one unbreakable rule is a white dress!!!!

edam Sun 29-Jun-08 11:00:12

Was the guest just daft, or was she making a point?

reethi96 Sun 29-Jun-08 11:07:07

Loads of people wore white to my wedding, I didn't mind, I looked better. wink

Years ago I remember a bit of a family barney because my Aunt brought my cousins to my brothers wedding wearing their bridesmaid dresses that they had worn to a wedding the week before. Luckily my two nieces were the same age so my sister lent them alternative clothes my Aunt was furious and couldn't understand what the fuss was all about.

mamablue Sun 29-Jun-08 11:09:53

my mil wore a black suit to our wedding much to the amusement of my friends!!!

RubyRioja Sun 29-Jun-08 11:16:01

I suspect daft rather than nasty, but it seems pretty obvious - it is surely the one day when you can be confident no-one else will wear the same thing!

Pavlovthecat Sun 29-Jun-08 11:18:20

White, inappropriate.

A friend of mine asked if I minded if she wore white at my wedding as she had just bought a lovely white dress which she wanted to wear. I told her that I minded! She wore black instead shock

deaconblue Sun 29-Jun-08 11:54:43

my friend wore her grandmother's cream lace wedding dress to our friend's wedding along with a hat so enormous it obscured most of the other guests in photos. Very rude and attention seeking imo

fatzak Sun 29-Jun-08 11:57:02

My bonkers MIL topped off a pretty normal navy suit with some platform jelly sandals at our wedding grin Everyone thought they would start flashing when she walked like kids' trainers!

mrsmike Sun 29-Jun-08 12:03:54

I was a 12 yr old bridesmaid for my big sister in the 70s. Floaty lilac puffed sleeve maxi bridesmaid dress. Teensy dainty flowers in upswept hair. Finished off with dark brown 3" clompy platform wedges LACE UP shoes. Photos are a treat grin

RubyRioja Sun 29-Jun-08 12:05:18

grin at jelly trainers!

welshdeb Sun 29-Jun-08 12:52:50

Not a guest but thought I would share this one.
I work in my local council offices which has the Register Office marriage rooms on the ground floor. Last week I saw a bride in a baby pink wedding dress all frills and flounces (like the toilet roll cover doll things). She had a white veil and instead of a bouquet a wrist corsage of red flowers. Topping it off though was the back, it had a low cut back and she was wearing a normal white bra, the straps across the back were totally on show.

Miaou Sun 29-Jun-08 13:04:06

Apologies for the "chav" label, and it's been done on here before, but I just had to link to this - inappropriate wedding outfits grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now