Wash in wash out to cover grey?

(6 Posts)
VeganVampire Thu 25-Nov-21 00:40:55

I've decided to stop colouring my hair now - hit my fifties, shoulder length dark brown hair usually pinned up. I have been box dying for the last about 15 years and now I've stopped and have roots of about 2". I'm horrified to find that I'm nowhere near as grey as I thought I was. I just panicked and started dying my whole head.

I've been spraying my hairline which is the only 'bad' bit at the front with the l'oreal spray colour - it's great, cheap and does a good job, even if a bit sticky sometimes. But what about wash in wash out? I can only easily find superdrug ones and a 'marion' one that I've just ordered from amazon.

Do you have an experience with these? Will I just end up with orange bits where the grey is? I'm hoping to slightly darken the rest of my hair as dying it has lightened it over time. I used harmony ones in the 80's for a bit of fun and not much effect, but my natural colour is very dark.

OP’s posts: |
Anordinarymum Thu 25-Nov-21 00:46:43

VeganVampire

I've decided to stop colouring my hair now - hit my fifties, shoulder length dark brown hair usually pinned up. I have been box dying for the last about 15 years and now I've stopped and have roots of about 2". I'm horrified to find that I'm nowhere near as grey as I thought I was. I just panicked and started dying my whole head.

I've been spraying my hairline which is the only 'bad' bit at the front with the l'oreal spray colour - it's great, cheap and does a good job, even if a bit sticky sometimes. But what about wash in wash out? I can only easily find superdrug ones and a 'marion' one that I've just ordered from amazon.

Do you have an experience with these? Will I just end up with orange bits where the grey is? I'm hoping to slightly darken the rest of my hair as dying it has lightened it over time. I used harmony ones in the 80's for a bit of fun and not much effect, but my natural colour is very dark.

To be honest you sound confused.
You say you have decided to stop colouring your hair but you still want to cover the grey?

I think you should talk to your hairdresser and get sound advice before you do anything

Good luck

VeganVampire Thu 25-Nov-21 01:03:03

My hair IS confused - I have 2" of dark roots with a sprinkling of grey, more on my hairline, again with an ugly 2" grey halo and then the rest of my hair is getting progressively lighter towards the ends. I'm just wanting some sort of temporary cover to mask the differences until it's long enough to cut out all the old dying.

I don't have a hairdresser grin that's why I'm asking on here. My hair is very thick & wavy and I just lop a bit off the ends when it gets too annoying/difficult to easily pin up.

VeganVampire Thu 25-Nov-21 15:58:08

Please can someone tell me if this is a really bad idea? Lack of replies seems to point to nobody actually doing it .....

clarazabel Thu 25-Nov-21 16:31:50

I've got the same hair and have started using the John Frieda hair mask, brunette conditioner and shampoo. Now I still have grey hair but the lighter ends aren't as orange and dry looking and the dark roots don't look as bad. Am still going to dye it eventually I expect but it looks better than before. The midnight brunette hair mask is a slight purple colour so the greys look whiter, maybe that's not the look you are after but it does wash out easily.

WhoppingBigBackside Thu 25-Nov-21 18:18:27

The wash in wash out won't cover the grey, but they'll soften the effect.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in