In search of long black padded gilet cheaper than the Mint Velvet one!

(42 Posts)
VivaVegas Sat 09-Oct-21 11:57:16

I love this from Mint Velvet but don't want to spend that much really, has anyone seen anything similar that's cheaper?

Mint Velvet Gilet

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
bananagram18 Sat 09-Oct-21 12:01:46

I bought a similar one from Zara which has sleeves that zip off so two coats in one effectively. I’ll find a link.

bananagram18 Sat 09-Oct-21 12:02:56

www.zara.com/gb/en/share/-p08073244.html?utm_campaign=productShare&utm_medium=mobile_sharing_iOS&utm_source=red_social_movil&v1=109002523

ForeverSinging Sat 09-Oct-21 13:51:52

I just bought one virtually identical to that from Asda £30.

Plump82 Sat 09-Oct-21 15:59:56

Tesco have one very similar. I've only seen in online in grey but i bet they'll have it in black

BlueBloodedBlue Sat 09-Oct-21 16:29:07

Uniqlo have a number of gilets but not sure how long they are.

NapoleonOzmolysis Sat 09-Oct-21 16:48:59

ASOS have loads. And some matching boots.

Advertisement

Matildatoldsuchdreadfullies Sat 09-Oct-21 16:53:11

Quick question about gilets - how do you pronounce it? I call it a body warmer to avoid embarrassment grin, but would like to use the slightly posher name!

DelphiniumBlue Sat 09-Oct-21 17:04:26

Matildatoldsuchdreadfullies

Quick question about gilets - how do you pronounce it? I call it a body warmer to avoid embarrassment grin, but would like to use the slightly posher name!

I pronounce it like the beginning of "je" in french, je (zh?)and then ill-ay.

Matildatoldsuchdreadfullies Sat 09-Oct-21 17:09:38

That’s kind of what I thought… but if it’s actually gill (hard-g)-et (t pronounced), that way would sound a trifle Hyacinth Bucket.

Shimy Sat 09-Oct-21 17:18:42

What about this one from Landsend. They also have cheaper ones.

VivaVegas Sat 09-Oct-21 18:01:07

Thanks all, ASOS have quite a few, then I drifted off into looking at other things on there!
@Matildatoldsuchdreadfullies I've never been sure either!

I fancy a longer one with a hood, not had one for years, not sure how practical and won't be much use when it's gets colder so don't want to spend the £139 of the MV one, even though it looks lovely!

OP’s posts: |
FinallyFluid Sat 09-Oct-21 18:06:20

Well now you see, I drove past MV yesterday and they had one in the window and I thought.............Oooooh

Walked past today and thought if it is cold enough to need one that length you need a coat.

FinallyFluid Sat 09-Oct-21 18:08:26

I am very aware that I am channelling my mother now, which is a tad worrying....grin

SageRosemary Sat 09-Oct-21 19:30:03

@FinallyFluid - I totally get you! I don't care for cold arms.

winterescape Sat 09-Oct-21 19:56:51

Matildatoldsuchdreadfullies

In Scotland we pronounce Gilet as Bodywarmer 😂

RedFlyingBeeBee Sat 09-Oct-21 20:19:15

In Scotland we pronounce Gilet as Bodywarmer
This reminds me of my dd. When she was quite little, I bought her a very stylish Gillet and was quite happy about it. One autumn day, I suggested that she wears it but she refused saying "I don't like it, tummy warmer." I thought that was quite clever to call it tummy warmer. She said it with slight disdain in her voice too, that was meekest told buying her word stuff (in her view, obviously it was weird with the sleeves missing) grin.

RedFlyingBeeBee Sat 09-Oct-21 20:20:31

*that was meekest told buying her word stuff = that was me told off buying her word stuff

RedFlyingBeeBee Sat 09-Oct-21 20:20:56

*Weird stuff! I give up

gunnersgold Sun 10-Oct-21 20:11:31

Have a look on next website , there is one about £40 which is very similar

gunnersgold Sun 10-Oct-21 20:13:57

Tell a lie , it's gone but next one for 55

NautaOcts Sun 10-Oct-21 20:16:27

SageRosemary

*@FinallyFluid* - I totally get you! I don't care for cold arms.

Totally this! I have never ‘got’ gilets for this reason. If you need it then it’s cold enough your arms will be cold surely? And similarly what’s the point in them being waterproof? Cold and wet arms!

Trying81 Sun 10-Oct-21 20:20:27

Simply be have some too

I’m with the above though, if it’s cold I’d rather wear a coat

TeamRick Sun 10-Oct-21 20:40:52

I bought one in the spring and it's been really useful, in & out of the car when going to the gym, nipping in to the supermarket etc but I guess it hasn't been that hot if that cold, but the hood has been great!

DameMaureen Sun 10-Oct-21 20:58:11

Silk Fred have loads eg www.silkfred.com/womens/clothing/jackets-and-coats/gilets/justyouroutfit/khaki-longline-hooded-puffer-gilet

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in