Page 11 | Beauty Advent Calendars 2021 - contains spoilers *titled by MNHQ at OP's request*

(998 Posts)
Coniferhedge Thu 12-Aug-21 15:30:49

Can’t see a thread so I thought I’d start one. Yes, it’s unbelievably early, but I noticed Glossybox have already revealed their Advent Calendar contents for this year. Saw this reveal on YouTube this morning:

youtu.be/4LppRQisvYk

Have to say it doesn’t wow me, but there’s plenty of time and many more Advent Calendars to come, I’m sure! grin

OP’s posts: |
MidnightMeltdown Fri 20-Aug-21 14:42:51

@Luvacuppatea

Go for it! I've ordered one (after convincing myself that I need it! 🙈)

namechange7865 Fri 20-Aug-21 14:45:21

Hi everyone, I'm reeeeeaaally tempted to treat myself to the Liberty calendar this year. Over the years I've had Rituals, Lookfantastic, Lush, M&S and No7. But this looks on another level.

Viviennemary Fri 20-Aug-21 15:06:29

And I'd like the Acqua di Parma one. But it will be a ridiculous price so I'll just look.

Luvacuppatea Fri 20-Aug-21 15:10:01

@MidnightMeltdown - all ordered 😊

MidnightMeltdown Fri 20-Aug-21 15:34:00

@Luvacuppatea

Exciting!! 👍

Now two months to wait for dispatch. At least I'll have forgotten the contents by then...

Luvacuppatea Fri 20-Aug-21 15:59:17

@MidnightMeltdown - and then another interminable wait until 1st December to start opening! Like you, I’m going to try to ‘forget’ at least some of the contents, though I doubt I’ll be able to put those face creams out of my mind 😂
@namechange7865 - the Liberty calendar is lovely and if you’ve not had one before you are in for a treat. Having said that, after a while it does feel that the contents get a bit ‘samey’ in that they are very similar each year and usually a slightly different offering from a core of brands which always feature. I’m waiting for the contents to be revealed before making my mind up either way.....

Advertisement

LastSummerHere Fri 20-Aug-21 16:08:57

and then another interminable wait until 1st December to start opening!

One of my friends is terrible - she rips them open as soon as they arrive!!😂

clary Fri 20-Aug-21 17:15:09

Anyone else getting Advent Calendar FOMO? What to choose, what to choose...

LastSummerHere Fri 20-Aug-21 17:22:26

AprilLady

Has anyone had a Decleor calendar before?

https://beautyadventcalendar.net/decleor-essential-oil-labs-advent-calendar-2021/

I’ve never tried any of their products, so this would have the advantage of being all different at least. Would love to hear from anyone who knows about the brand or their previous calendars.

I had the calendar about three years ago. It was fine...a few VERY tiny bottles of oil which I see they're doing this time round. It is a lovely brand but not wow. Although...their hand cream is still the most glorious, gorgeous one I have EVER tried, and I've tried Byredo, Chanel and Chantecaille. Another poster said Decleor didn't agree with her skin so that might be something to think about if you have sensitive skin. Luckily I had no such issues.

I think the calendar gets reduced quite a lot...I remember last year it was on sale towards Advent for about half the price and could count towards a Feel Unique GWP, so if you are thinking about it AprilLady I would maybe hang fire for a while. If you could get it reduced, I would.

wheresmyshoe Fri 20-Aug-21 17:23:18

@clary I am. I'm holding out for the Liberty reveal.

LastSummerHere Fri 20-Aug-21 17:25:59

Had to look up FOMO.😂 I really love reading about the contents and seeing the pictures and watching YouTube vids....its all a vital part of the fun for me! But yes it is soooo hard to know which ones. The only one I am sure about is M&S and that's mostly because Christmas countdown just doesn't feel right without it and without the thread here.

clary Fri 20-Aug-21 17:37:44

wheresmyshoe

*@clary* I am. I'm holding out for the Liberty reveal.

Also Cult Beauty - I really lusted over that last year so might go for it this time. Tempted by F&M now, after all the £400 face cream discussion grin Space NK still a contender...

IToldYouIWasFreaky Fri 20-Aug-21 17:39:03

LastSummerHere

Had to look up FOMO.😂 I really love reading about the contents and seeing the pictures and watching YouTube vids....its all a vital part of the fun for me! But yes it is soooo hard to know which ones. The only one I am sure about is M&S and that's mostly because Christmas countdown just doesn't feel right without it and without the thread here.

Agreed! I think I enjoy reading all the threads, especially the ones during December as much as the actual calendars!
It'll be interesting to see what's in M&S. I had it for a few years on the bounce and was going off it as it all got very samey. I wonder if they'll shake it up for this year's return? And maybe change the pricing? I usually find something to buy for the qualifying amount but on balance, I think I'd rather just pay £70 (or whatever) for the calendar than £35 of goods, plus £35 for the calendar.

DustySpringboard Fri 20-Aug-21 17:40:25

I had the John Lewis calendar last year and was very impressed, only a couple of things I handed on. Will probably get again this year.

I had to exercise huge amounts of willpower not to open everything at once like the year before I lasted until about 20th December then opened the rest in one go!

M&S has always been great value and I did miss it last year. I prefer to try lots of different brands, mostly skincare as rarely find any haircare that's any good for me.

Am mightily tempted the the H&B too

ajandjjmum Fri 20-Aug-21 17:44:03

clary

Me!

MidnightMeltdown Fri 20-Aug-21 17:45:02

@namechange7865 I had Liberty last year for the first time and enjoyed it. I definitely think that a high end calendar is worth it if you can afford it. Like Luvacuppatea I will probably get it again this year, depending on the contents.

Also want to see what net a porter and CB have to offer before making a decision. I had the CB calendar in 2019 and didn't really get the hype, but I'm in my 30s and think that CB is probably aimed at a younger demographic than Liberty and F&M. Not that it matters if you like the products! Last years CB looked better, so I was tempted, but didn't go for it as the makeup products all looked a bit pink and/or sparkly for me.

MidnightMeltdown Fri 20-Aug-21 17:56:10

clary

😂 I don't think that F&M sold out last year until after the calendars had started shipping (maybe late Oct, or early Nov?), so I expect that you will have a bit of time to decide.

There probably aren't many people as crazy as us thinking about advent calendars in August! But you never know...

AprilLady Fri 20-Aug-21 18:01:35

@LastSummerHere, thank you, that is really helpful. I’ll definitely wait and see if it gets reduced, as it’s certainly not a must have!

@MidnightMeltdown, I agree F&M and Liberty aim for an older demographic. But oh dear, if 30s is too old for CB I should stay well clear. But despite being in my early 50s I confess I like sparkly eyeshadows, especially Pat McGrath. Sadly I can’t see any of her products appearing in an advent calendar soon🙂

Betsy88 Fri 20-Aug-21 18:13:38

I’m in my 40s and I loved the Cult Beauty Advent (and love CB in general). You always get a few brands you don’t get elsewhere. Don’t remember much sparkle/glitter last year - just a Charlotte Tilbury lipstick that I was excited about but really didn’t suit me in the end. There was a gorgeous hourglass blusher. Excited to see what’s in this years. I hope the reveals for that and Liberty come soon! The Fenwick one has looked nice in the past but I’ve never tried it.

LastSummerHere Fri 20-Aug-21 18:35:32

AprilLady

**@LastSummerHere**, thank you, that is really helpful. I’ll definitely wait and see if it gets reduced, as it’s certainly not a must have!

*@MidnightMeltdown*, I agree F&M and Liberty aim for an older demographic. But oh dear, if 30s is too old for CB I should stay well clear. But despite being in my early 50s I confess I like sparkly eyeshadows, especially Pat McGrath. Sadly I can’t see any of her products appearing in an advent calendar soon🙂

AprilLady you're welcome!! It can be a little boring getting a single brand calendar and I did find that with Decleor but as far as the actual products go, no complaints whatsoever. And the calendars are always excellent value once you wait for the reduction which almost always comes. It really is a lovely brand and I haven't not used any of their products.

Coniferhedge Fri 20-Aug-21 18:54:23

That’s one problem I have with the Boots No7 calendar. The skincare they put in is the Protect and Perfect range, which is aimed at 20-30+ age group. Being late 40s, I use Lift and Luminate so I didn’t use them. Still worth it though as there weren’t many of those items. Plenty of make up and accessories which made it worthwhile. Plus I use Advantage points to buy it, though saying that I wish Boots stocked a bigger variety of advent calendars to give me a bit of choice.

wheresmyshoe Fri 20-Aug-21 18:55:55

I most want: miraculous skincare, eye cream, lip treatment, hand cream.
I'm happy to receive: a candle, great mascara, great hair care, pillow spray.
I am less interested in: sparkly eyeshadow, lipstick, fake tan, average bath/body stuff.

Not much to ask!

Coniferhedge Fri 20-Aug-21 19:04:58

I think one advantage of single brand calendars is that you get to try various products from across their whole range. That’s why I’m interested in the Lumene calendar. The couple of products I’ve tried this year I’ve really liked. I found an unboxing of last year’s calendar on YouTube and the calendar (at least last year’s) contained products from across the different ranges they do. This means I can sample them all and see which one suits my skin best before shelling out on full sizes.

chloechloe Fri 20-Aug-21 19:25:11

I would definitely recommend the Lumene AC coniferhedge. I had it last year (after reading about it on MN!) and was really impressed. Like you say, you get a few different creams from each of their ranges which lets you try out lots of skincare lines. Their vitamin C range is great and the mascara was brilliant (up there with my Lancome and Benefit favourites). I’ll definitely be getting it again this year.

I’m also on the lookout for a high end treat. I’ve dabbled with Liberty and F&M over the years. F&M isn’t delivering to the EU this year though (thanks Boris), so it’s out for me. Cult 51 and 3 Labs are both amazing creams though, so I think it’ll be a good pick.

I find Liberty very samey and have had it 3 times so may defect to CB this year. It usually comes out later than the others and gets hyped up - last year I was scared to miss out if it sold out fast so got Liberty instead.

I really shouldn’t be buying any ACs though as I have so many products to use up. In my defence I don’t really buy anything in the year as the ACs usually keep me stocked up.

I’ve also been a massive fan of LF over the years but this year’s offering doesn’t look great.

Decisions decisions.

WellTidy Fri 20-Aug-21 19:37:10

Brilliant news about the M&S, thanks! I but advent calendars for friends, and dont tend to go above £50 each. I was toying with the H&B, but I think the M&S would go down better (I say this of course not knowing what it is going to include). But the H&B looks really good.

Also thanks @AprilLady for the Filorga link. I’ve bought the set and delivery should be within 4-7 days which is incredible. I have high hopes for that eye cream now! I have been tempted by this brand for a while as I’d heard that it was a step between products and injectables.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in