Page 10 | Beauty Advent Calendars 2021 - contains spoilers *titled by MNHQ at OP's request*

(998 Posts)
Coniferhedge Thu 12-Aug-21 15:30:49

Can’t see a thread so I thought I’d start one. Yes, it’s unbelievably early, but I noticed Glossybox have already revealed their Advent Calendar contents for this year. Saw this reveal on YouTube this morning:

youtu.be/4LppRQisvYk

Have to say it doesn’t wow me, but there’s plenty of time and many more Advent Calendars to come, I’m sure! grin

OP’s posts: |
Coniferhedge Fri 20-Aug-21 09:40:30

I was tempted by the Lumene calendar last year but didn't bother. I've tried a couple of products through this year and quite like them, so I might go for Lumene this time around. It's on the list of maybes.

When it comes to size of items, I'm more of a visual person, so I'm waiting for the Youtube unboxings to start so I can actually see how miniscule (or not) the products actually are.

OP’s posts: |
kikipie Fri 20-Aug-21 10:07:15

I had the lumene last year and will probably get it again this year. I have re purchased a few items from them

BurningTheToast Fri 20-Aug-21 10:36:44

I had Lumene last year and I've used most of the contents but on the whole, I found a single brand calendar a bit underwhelming. Mind you, this year I'm not wowed by the multi-brand ones despite being someone who likes Bum Bum Cream and This Works sleep spray (for me it really does work!).

clary Fri 20-Aug-21 10:54:21

I also had Lumene last year and I did really like it. I would certainly rp some of the items (and in fact I have) and there was a good mix, with make up and skincare. Also it was good value at about £80-90 IIRC.

This year tho I wanted to go for a more expensive multi brand. I am a bit disappointed with LF and F&M - the big prize with LF last year (also got that!) was the Elemis cream which I love and which is £££, something I actually use; but I cannot see what the big ticket is on eeither LF or tbh F&M this year. What is good in the F&M one, any thoughts?

LastSummerHere Fri 20-Aug-21 11:10:55

Clary I think the Cult 51 creams are really good...you don't use any serum or oil with them as they are meant to have 51 ingredients that mean you don't need other products alongside them. The perfumes look interesting as well...would quite like to try them. One thing I always loved about F&M calendars was just the experience of luxury. Even if the products weren't things I would choose, the whole sensory experience was so enjoyable...the look, scent, feel of the box and contents.

Luvacuppatea Fri 20-Aug-21 11:22:48

@clary - I’m blowing hot and cold over this years F&M calendar. I had it a couple of years ago and loved it and on balance think I’ll go for it again. I’d love to try the cult51 creams, love a fragrance, a candle and some fancy bath/shower stuff, all of which are included. I love that it has a variety of items, not just skincare/makeup. It’s the same with Liberty (still awaiting a contents reveal). There is one item in the F&M calendar that’s made me gulp! It’s the 3Lab WW face cream, selling on Feel Unique and at Harrods for an eye-watering £421 for 60ml . The calendar includes a 15ml pot (hope I’ve researched the right item , happy to be corrected if not) but there’s no way I’ll ever be repurchasing at that price. Might be lovely to try though 😊

Advertisement

AprilLady Fri 20-Aug-21 11:46:33

I’ve actually had F&M all three years they have done a calendar.

I think that 3Labs cream was in last year’s F&M calendar, and I actually really, really rated it but would never purchase it at RP. That, the Cult51 creams and the F&M perfume are definitely draws for me.

I’m also another who loves the Sol de Janeiro stuff, and I haven’t tried the hair cream, so this is another plus. Finally, I also rather like most Espa bath and body stuff.

So lots to like. But room sprays and the other perfume are not for me, and it also definitely feels less good value than previously.

AprilLady Fri 20-Aug-21 11:49:07

Has anyone had a Decleor calendar before?

beautyadventcalendar.net/decleor-essential-oil-labs-advent-calendar-2021/

I’ve never tried any of their products, so this would have the advantage of being all different at least. Would love to hear from anyone who knows about the brand or their previous calendars.

clary Fri 20-Aug-21 11:49:26

oh wow yes, just looked and it does look as tho that is the one - the WW face cream I mean - so that 15ml is worth about £100! And that's a size that you can really use and see what it's like as well. Agree an unlikely RP tho :D

mintylovely Fri 20-Aug-21 11:49:42

I know I'm probably being petty about F&M but the inclusion of the little b products is annoying. I don't rate Bramley particularly anyway so wasting a door or two on baby/infant products isn't ideal. I actually quite like the candle and room sprays as an addition.

AprilLady Fri 20-Aug-21 11:54:05

@mintylovely, I agree the Bramley is very underwhelming. Wish they had included something like the Jo Loves bath and shower gel in the SpaceNK calendar.

Luvacuppatea Fri 20-Aug-21 12:14:04

Just checking, but are the two Bramley items in F&M actually from the Little B range? They are both available in the ‘adult’ section on their website and looking at the pictures of the F&M calendar contents, they appear to be the ‘grown up’ versions? As with the 3Labs cream I mentioned above, I’m happy to be corrected if I’ve got this wrong 😊

mintylovely Fri 20-Aug-21 12:19:21

@Luvacuppatea

My understanding is Little b is their childrens' brand: https://www.bramleyproducts.co.uk/collections/little-b?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1Pmi8Ly8gIVdIFQBh289QIoEAAYASABEgJFMPDD_BwE

It would probably work for adults with sensitive skin too.

MidnightMeltdown Fri 20-Aug-21 12:25:55

I've been naughty enough to buy a few luxury calendars the past couple of years and F&M has always been my favourite. Agree that it just tends to just feel that little bit more luxurious. I've found that the sizes also tend to be slightly more generous (there's only one travel size mini this year). Tiny products irritate me, partly because of the waste of packaging, and partly because I just don't see the point (often you can't tell if a product makes a difference to your skin unless you use it for a couple of weeks).

Some of my favourite things in F&M this year are:
- Escentric Molecules - want to try
- Cult 51 creams are very good
- Olverum is a brand I love so looking forward to the body oil
- Aromatherapy products are usually lovely and some generous sizes (not usual tiny glass bottles!)
- Sol de Janeiro hair mask - would love to try

I would even like to try the room sprays and candle as I have cats and I think that these things are nice to use when you have guests

The worst items for me are:
- bum bum cream (not because I don't like it, but because it seems a silly size for a body cream. Maybe ok for a weekend away)
- pulse point oil (probably won't use, but it does come in a drawer with another product)
- face vinegar (I have a feeling I've used this before and wasn't keen on the smell)

Aside from these, I think that I will enjoy using everything so worth it for me. I also like the fact that there's no makeup as I don't use eye makeup (except mascara), and the blushers and lipsticks that get dished out rarely suit me.

Luvacuppatea Fri 20-Aug-21 12:28:51

@mintylovely - maybe I’m misunderstanding, but people are saying that the two Bramley products in the F&M calendar are from the Little b (children’s range), but I think these might be targeted specifically at adults? The packaging is different, but then maybe the formulations are the same? I’m confusing myself now 😂

MauveMagnolia Fri 20-Aug-21 12:32:09

Nanasueathome

I had the Liberty one for 2 years in a row
Kept the empty box
Now buy the Liberty gift with purchase, usually October time, and use that to refill the calendar

1st week in September-not October

MidnightMeltdown Fri 20-Aug-21 12:34:50

@mintylovely

I don't think that they are the infant versions (that would be extremely odd in an adult calendar!!). The website doesn't say little B, it just says Bramley. Plus the adult versions are shown in the picture.

I would ask for a replacement if they sent me an infant version!

MidnightMeltdown Fri 20-Aug-21 13:10:10

Elle looks ok (possibly better than look fantastic), but I can't see any product sizes and from the photo they look small. Not sure that I like the look of the makeup colours either. Will be giving it a miss at that price.

Luvacuppatea Fri 20-Aug-21 13:10:47

That is my understanding of the Bramley products @MidnightMeltdown, you’ve explained it much more succinctly than I did 😊. This conversation about the F&M calendar has persuaded me that I’m definitely going to go for this one. The three face creams (the 3Labs and the two from Cult51) retail at almost the cost of the calendar and as I really want to try those, everything else is a bonus! I don’t particularly like makeup in a calendar either.
Have you succumbed yet @PomRuns?

mintylovely Fri 20-Aug-21 13:33:43

Ah! It would make more sense! I think it was on the cosmetopia review that I saw little b. I did think it was odd for an adult calendar.

Blossomtoes Fri 20-Aug-21 14:12:07

Cult 51 is an extremely slippery slope! I had a little sample pot of the day cream once and absolutely loved it. I was gutted when I discovered what it cost, it set my standards way too high!

dottyaboutstripes Fri 20-Aug-21 14:12:40

I was in M&S so I asked and the woman on the beauty dept had a look at upcoming events for me. Advent calendar coming at the end of October 🥳

mintylovely Fri 20-Aug-21 14:22:39

That's amazing news @dottyaboutstripes hooray!

MidnightMeltdown Fri 20-Aug-21 14:30:53

@dottyaboutstripes

Fab! I actually think that the lower priced calendars (M&S and Holland & Barrett), are normally better than what the mid range (look fantastic etc) are offering this year. M&S was my first beauty calendar in 2018 and I loved it!

LastSummerHere Fri 20-Aug-21 14:31:54

Yay that's brilliant!!😃🤩 I'm definitely getting it.

So weird....after writing off the F&M calendar I'm now feeling tempted by it. And was all excited about Space NK but have done a complete about-turn.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in