Page 8 | Beauty Advent Calendars 2021 - contains spoilers *titled by MNHQ at OP's request*

(998 Posts)
Coniferhedge Thu 12-Aug-21 15:30:49

Can’t see a thread so I thought I’d start one. Yes, it’s unbelievably early, but I noticed Glossybox have already revealed their Advent Calendar contents for this year. Saw this reveal on YouTube this morning:

youtu.be/4LppRQisvYk

Have to say it doesn’t wow me, but there’s plenty of time and many more Advent Calendars to come, I’m sure! grin

OP’s posts: |
clary Wed 18-Aug-21 15:42:48

YH a small mascara is not an issue for sure. Only supposed to use them for six months anyway!

MidnightMeltdown Wed 18-Aug-21 15:47:17

@ashmts

Ah ok, maybe not so bad if there are multiple items in some boxes. I'm intrigued by the secret product....

I also thought that the AB rich cream was nothing special (considering the price of it). I remember that 15ml was a very small amount of moisturiser too. They tried to make it appear more with the packaging and huge lid! 🙄. I don't think that you can really tell whether or not it makes a difference to your skin with that amount of product.

PomRuns Wed 18-Aug-21 16:35:27

I give extra items to my niece or pop in the toiletry box in boots.

paradyning Wed 18-Aug-21 20:01:41

What's this @ashmts ?
* Space NK also has brand duplicates*

Window1 Wed 18-Aug-21 20:19:32

I'm new to the purchase of these calendars, are all you regulars getting the monthly beauty subscriptions too?

JulesJules Wed 18-Aug-21 20:49:56

I'm hoping M&S will be doing their Advent Calendar this year. I've had it a couple of times in the past. If not, I might try the H&B one, or maybe get that for my DDs (16 and 19). I hadn't come across the Degustabox before, it looks great. I'm tempted to get that for D1 while she's at university (she could open it a month early, maybe, so within term time) and she could share it with her household. The one I'd love to have is the John Lewis one, but can't really justify spending that much.

Advertisement

LastSummerHere Wed 18-Aug-21 21:05:01

Hey Window, no I don't get any. I used to, years ago. And LOVED them at the beginning. Actually thought they were quite good value. I tried LF, Birchbox, RoccaBox, GlossyBox, Latest in Beauty and Cohorted. But then I caught myself on when it sank in that the sizes were mostly sample size (that you could get free over a counter), contents were not as advertised - items would be replaced by Eyeko eyeliner or some other rubbish - and they were coming later and later in the month. I was paying money to receive sample sized tat.

The brands were all the same - This Works, Emma Hardie, Illamasqua, Grow Gorgeous, Caudalie, that kind of thing. Even the so called Cohorted luxury box had brands such as Avant - they even did a full box of Avant shit once that they boasted was their highest value box ever. Yeah, knowing Avant's crazy pricing I'm sure it was.

Latest in Beauty was probably the best one as you can choose the items, but the stock is limited, so it isn't a box you could probably subscribe to for long.

So...I wised up and once I had tried them for a few months I just quit. I actually think the best thing is to go for any GWP that you fancy if you can afford it. Harvey Nichols often does a very good one, as does Liberty and Space NK a few times a year. Feel Unique also run cheaper GWPs a number of times.

PomRuns Wed 18-Aug-21 21:14:16

Liberty meanly do a GWP in September.
I’ve looked at the John Lewis calendar a few times and there were quite a few sample sizes but it often has 30% off which makes it a bit more affordable.

PomRuns Wed 18-Aug-21 21:18:03

* generally not meanly

LastSummerHere Wed 18-Aug-21 21:19:17

Lol I thought you meant mainly.

The Rituals one looks so pretty! I'm putting it in my maybe column.

Blossomtoes Wed 18-Aug-21 21:24:53

The Liberty September beauty bag is great. I’ve had it three times now. I usually buy perfume to get it, I’m a Frederic Malle fan.

PomRuns Wed 18-Aug-21 21:25:45

I’m tempted by rituals . I don’t know how I’ll decide.
I don’t know if I want fortnums as it looks so beautiful. I’d probably get buyers remorse (especially when get to the room sprays).

WellTidy Wed 18-Aug-21 21:29:26

I’ve bought the rituals ones for friends and they’ve each loved it. And they would say if they didn’t! I think rituals products are generally really good quality for the price, and the calendar even more so.

MidnightMeltdown Wed 18-Aug-21 21:38:06

@Window1

I don't normally get any subscriptions or beauty boxes. I accidentally fell into a beauty calendar wormhole a couple of years ago when I popped into M&S and saw theirs. Since then, I've bought a few calendars each year, but virtually nothing else in terms of beauty.

I literally can't remember the last time I purchased an individual toner, moisturiser, serum, face mask, scented candle, eye cream or mascara😂. Must have been a few years ago. I think that all I've bought this year in terms of beauty is one lipstick, shampoo/conditioner and toothpaste 😂

DrRamsesEmerson Wed 18-Aug-21 22:22:39

I loved the Rituals one last year (had the cheaper one) but I don't get through the stuff fast: I've still got half the products. Next year.

Degustabox are advertising that their calendar is on sale, but when you click "Buy Now" it sends you to their monthly subscription. Can you have the calendar without subscribing monthly?

ashmts Wed 18-Aug-21 22:46:49

paradyning

What's this @ashmts ?
* Space NK also has brand duplicates*

If you look at the list of contents it includes like two Sunday Riley products, two Augustinus Bader products, two Medik8 products. Which could get a bit boring getting multiple products of the same brand (although some people might like that) but if all 24 doors have different brands then it's not an issue.

I had the bigger Rituals last year, the shower gels were a bit small but I liked all the products. It was good for trying their range.

BunnytheFriendlyDragon Thu 19-Aug-21 01:32:50

I have had glossybox, latest in beauty and birchbox. I stopped after I accumulated boxes of travel sizes items I didn't use. The calendars can be similar so I'll only buy one of I'm excited about it.

Laaaaa Thu 19-Aug-21 07:47:27

Cohorted last year looks like it only had 6 products? Did it have 12? I get the cohorted beauty box every month and I love it

mintylovely Thu 19-Aug-21 09:15:46

@DrRamsesEmerson I didn't have to subscribe last year to get the Degustabox calendar. I suspect they've got the website up but the calendars aren't on sale yet.

12548ehe9fnfobms Thu 19-Aug-21 09:29:19

I'm watching with interest. I had my 1st calendar last year which was from ASOS. The 2 in the running for this year are F&M and the Space NK one.....hard to choose.

AprilLady Thu 19-Aug-21 09:51:25

@Laaaaa, the Cohorted one did have 12 items (see beautyadventcalendar.net/cohorted-12-wishes-advent-calendar-2020/)

I have mixed feelings about Cohorted. Subscribed for a little while but stopped after a couple of meh boxes. Given the relatively small difference in price between the subscriber price and buying a single box, I decided I would just purchase as a one off any box that seemed worthwhile. Also, they sell a lot of the products at good prices on eBay (under a different name) so that is a better option if just one item appeals.

beguilingeyes Thu 19-Aug-21 11:08:47

I stopped buying one for myself but I get one for a friend for Christmas. My favourite lately has been the Looks Fantastic or Latest in Beauty. I'm a big fan of the LIB collections generally.

DrRamsesEmerson Thu 19-Aug-21 11:43:57

Thanks, @mintylovely - I'll keep an eye on it in that case!

LastSummerHere Thu 19-Aug-21 15:14:37

AprilLady

**@Laaaaa**, the Cohorted one did have 12 items (see https://beautyadventcalendar.net/cohorted-12-wishes-advent-calendar-2020/)

I have mixed feelings about Cohorted. Subscribed for a little while but stopped after a couple of meh boxes. Given the relatively small difference in price between the subscriber price and buying a single box, I decided I would just purchase as a one off any box that seemed worthwhile. Also, they sell a lot of the products at good prices on eBay (under a different name) so that is a better option if just one item appeals.

Yes there were twelve products in it and what I thought was a extremely poor about the calendar was that a number of products were obviously leftover stock from previous boxes...there were Monuskin, Colour Wow, This Works and Verso products.....all brands that had their own single-brand boxes in collaboration with Cohorted in the previous 6/8 months. The calendar also featured a Laura Mercier setting powder that had appeared in recent boxes too.

It really soured my opinion of Cohorted, that and the Avant box.

LizzieMacQueen Thu 19-Aug-21 15:28:24

Rituals and Lush details are out.

See Beautysdventcalendar.net

link

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in