Is this dress suitable dress for a V Fancy Afternoon Tea?

(293 Posts)
NaiceAftTea Thu 13-May-21 18:14:52

And if so, how would you style it?

I'm a bit out my depth really blush

https://www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/amelia-cotton-maxi-dress-ivory-summer-chintz/sty-w0778-ivo]]

https://www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/amelia-cotton-maxi-dress-ivory-summer-chintz/sty-w0778-ivo

OP’s posts: |
NaiceAftTea Thu 13-May-21 18:15:32

That went garbled well grin

Everyoneknows Thu 13-May-21 18:17:30

Yes I think it would be lovely op. Could work with flat or heeled sandals or even boots, a nice transition dress for in between seasons

Iveputmyselfonthenaughtystep Thu 13-May-21 18:17:53

It seems rather casual to me, but that's how I see maxi dresses. What do you mean by fancy? Fancy event at someone's house? Hotel? What's the occasion and what body shape are you/ your usual style/ preference?

NaiceAftTea Thu 13-May-21 18:20:17

Everyoneknows

Yes I think it would be lovely op. Could work with flat or heeled sandals or even boots, a nice transition dress for in between seasons

Thank you. I was thinking tan knee length boots - it's in London and we're planning on doing walking around afterwards so shoes need to be comfortable.

NaiceAftTea Thu 13-May-21 18:21:02

Iveputmyselfonthenaughtystep

It seems rather casual to me, but that's how I see maxi dresses. What do you mean by fancy? Fancy event at someone's house? Hotel? What's the occasion and what body shape are you/ your usual style/ preference?

Oh crepes? Casual???

This is very fancy and pricy for me. sad

NaiceAftTea Thu 13-May-21 18:23:06

Apologies, missed off a bit.

It's at a very Nice Hotel rhymes with Tits.

grin

I'm rather rotunda. Mostly wear maxi dresses as they hide a multitude of sins

Advertisement

SubParbanMum Thu 13-May-21 18:23:34

Absolutely lovely. I’ve been to very smart afternoon teas and this would be a great dress to wear.

Everyoneknows Thu 13-May-21 18:24:01

It’s certainly on the casual side of dresses, when you think how formal dresses can go but lots of people wouldn’t be seen dead in a really dressy outfit. It’s not a wedding or anything, day time afternoon tea says to me a pretty but casual kind of dress that could be dressed up or down. And if you’re walking round London afterwards you def don’t want to look like you’re going to a
Wedding!

Tehmina23 Thu 13-May-21 18:24:45

It's very pretty.... also expensive but it's the kind of dress you could hopefully wear again.
I think tan leather boots would be fine.

ThePlantsitter Thu 13-May-21 18:27:07

Yes you don't want to be super super dressed up for afternoon tea even in the Tits. DO NOT WEAR NEW BOOTS TO WALK AROUND LONDON though. I cannot emphasise this enough.

netstaller Thu 13-May-21 18:27:19

Looks a bit beachy/casual to me

ThePlantsitter Thu 13-May-21 18:27:26

So I mean the dress is great.

netstaller Thu 13-May-21 18:28:25

Sorry sent too soon! I would say shift dresses may be more suitable with a nice belt, but if you wear nice jewellery that may dress it up.

yahyahs22 Thu 13-May-21 18:28:47

I would say it's casual rather than fancy

SomeLovers Thu 13-May-21 18:32:31

I agree that you don’t want to go super fancy but I think that dress (while lovely) is possibly a little bit beachy, but it could work depending on how you style it.

FreekStar Thu 13-May-21 18:39:04

Nobody is wearing shift dresses at the moment! The OP would look dated or look as if she came from the office in a shift dress in London.

I think it's nice, and I looked at it myself, it looks gorgeous on the model, but then I googled further images of this dress and decided it's far too voluminous and tent like to look flattering on anyone who is not 6ft tall or model thin!

I would suggest a midi length dress for afternoon tea in a floaty fabric and wear with sandals or ankle boots.

NaiceAftTea Thu 13-May-21 18:52:55

ThePlantsitter

Yes you don't want to be super super dressed up for afternoon tea even in the Tits. DO NOT WEAR NEW BOOTS TO WALK AROUND LONDON though. I cannot emphasise this enough.

I can't FIND ANY NICE BOOTS sad so no chance I'll be wandering around in them <<wails>>

NaiceAftTea Thu 13-May-21 18:55:28

Oh crepe all you "too casual" follk.

Seriously this is elevating my game.

I'm sturdy size 30 5 foot 5, would not get my legs out at all (despite being still overweight, I've lost 7 stone) my shape is fecked blush

Everyoneknows Thu 13-May-21 18:57:28

If you like the dress op then get it.
It’s honestly fine for the occasion and congrats on the weight loss too!

AC12theletterofthelaw Thu 13-May-21 19:00:12

It’s the Ritz. Plenty don’t get dressed up. I went in jeans.

What time of year? I’d wear that dress with white trainers.

Bluntness100 Thu 13-May-21 19:01:38

I don’t think they make the dress in a size thirty op, I’m sorry. It seems to only go to a 22.

Chocolatehabit Thu 13-May-21 19:01:39

I don’t think it’s too casual! I really want it now actually...I definitely think you can style it to more dressy.

trunumber Thu 13-May-21 19:02:59

That weight loss is amazing!!! Well done you

So you only want maxi dresses? Would you consider midi with tights and ankle boots?

https://www.asos.com/prd/22067267?acquisitionsource=pasteboard

trunumber Thu 13-May-21 19:04:12

Ps I didn't find the ritz that fancy either to be honest. I love to dress up so I wore a dress but it wasn't fancy at all

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in