What do you think of this dress for wedding guest?

(34 Posts)
Sssloou Tue 04-May-21 23:22:42

Is it too OTT? Is it a bit MOTB? I would never wear it with the hideous jacket / fascinator - any ideas how to accessorise to dress it down - or is that even possible? Was thinking more quirky / vintage - rather than glitzy -

www.hobbs.com/product/marcella-silk-wool-beaded-dress/0121-5739-3093L00-CELESTE-BLUE.html#cgid=occasion-clothing-dresses&is=false&sz=60&start=0&isSecondPage=false&pid=0121-5739-3093L00-CELESTE-BLUE&pos=46

OP’s posts: |
BackforGood Tue 04-May-21 23:32:06

It's not for me.
I don't like the colour (particularly for a wedding)
I don't like the neckline
I don't like the price.

Are you the MotB

Timeandtune Tue 04-May-21 23:34:16

I love it. Think it’s classic and stylish and will be easy to wear.

WineGetsMeThroughIt Tue 04-May-21 23:35:33

Not really my style. I can't see anyone under the age of 50-60 wearing it. It's very conservative and retro. The heavy faux pearl collar makes this very hard to dress down.

I suppose someone quite tall and stylish could pull this off with the right hat and accessories at something like ascot, but I think there are far better options out there.

It's very Jackie O looking IMO

StCharlotte Tue 04-May-21 23:36:47

I love it. It's my colour too. Very classy. But yes, stay away from the jacket and accessories.

DerektheWerek Tue 04-May-21 23:36:48

It looks like she has the dress on back to front! It doesn't look very comfortable. I would have to say no too

NYNYNYNYNYNYNYNYNYNYNYNYN Tue 04-May-21 23:36:58

Love it. Very elegant

WineGetsMeThroughIt Tue 04-May-21 23:40:44

I also think it's quite an awkward length for such a stiff and structured looking fabric. It would look nicer if it was shortened to above the knee. But the capped sleeves can also be harder to pull off. I had a Ted Baker dress with cap sleeves like years ago and they were very uncomfortable and restrictive

katy1213 Tue 04-May-21 23:41:10

I think it would look elegant on someone tall and stylish (which isn't me!) But definitely no fascinators, just exceedingly soignée hair!

wanderedlonelyasacloud Tue 04-May-21 23:41:19

I dont hate it but it's a bit... duchess of Cornwall-ish?

caringcarer Tue 04-May-21 23:44:33

I like it and the jacket for a wedding. Not sure you would wear it much after though.

Goingtogetflamed Tue 04-May-21 23:45:41

It’s a bit light for a wedding - I would raise an eyebrow.

Southwestrunningmum Tue 04-May-21 23:47:16

I love it

Scbchl Tue 04-May-21 23:48:42

I really like it, but I'd wear it with fuscia heels and a bag to clash with the pale blue.

Quitelikeacatslife Tue 04-May-21 23:55:45

It looks very stiff, can't even visualise sitting down in it, never mind dancing

Divebar2021 Tue 04-May-21 23:57:04

I don’t know why Weddings have their own category of faux Royal kind of outfits. It’s not good from my perspective. ( as a 50 year old I’m apparently in the target demographic because apparently we want to dress like the Queen). Do you actually shop at Hobbs or has a search thrown that dress up?

MintyCedric Tue 04-May-21 23:59:00

Love the colour but that's about it.

I don't think it's a bad choice for a wedding overall, but can't see how you could dress that down.

GinAndTonicOnIt Tue 04-May-21 23:59:50

Goingtogetflamed

It’s a bit light for a wedding - I would raise an eyebrow.

Eh? What's wrong with the colour? Mumsnet is a strange place

mrshonda Wed 05-May-21 00:03:18

It's lovely. Accessorise with vintage early 60s earrings and a great pair of kitten heels, both in a bold colour like coral or apple green, with a matching vintage bag.

DukeOfEarlGrey Wed 05-May-21 00:25:40

Personally I really dislike it but on the right person (not me) it would be fine to wear to a wedding. I think it would take someone tall, very slim and cool to pull it off without getting into frumpy territory though. For some reason Erin O’Connor comes to mind and I haven’t spotted her anywhere for years!

IdblowJonSnow Wed 05-May-21 00:29:48

I really like it too although high necks can be quite unflattering.

I like the pearl detail.

Minthambug Wed 05-May-21 00:31:49

Have you seen it in real life? Only as I've seen other dresses that colour be very pale in daylight and look closer to white in sunlight

WFHWF Wed 05-May-21 00:37:01

I think this is gorgeous but it is very MOTB. I think it would suit someone 50+ and tall. Difficult to pull off otherwise.

bigsplosh Wed 05-May-21 00:43:44

I'm usually a believer that you should wear what you like regardless of age. However...

I think this could look vintage/quirky on the right person, probably a young person. With the Betty Draper look played on hair/accessory wise.

However I used to wear shift dress and pearls and cute shoes in my twenty's and think it was quirky. But as I got older i just looked frumpy/stuffy.

Sssloou Wed 05-May-21 01:07:35

That’s a good point that vintage on someone older - just looks old - like they’ve had it in their wardrobe for years! Totally happy with Jackie O, Betty Draper vibe - but Duchess of Cornwall has killed it for me....

Love the fuchsia, green or coral shoes / jewellery to take away the bling ..... maybe it’s too new and shiny .... might work better if a bit faded and smelling of mothballs....

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in