Where to shop for a wedding outfit? (Size 22)

(23 Posts)
formynexttrick Tue 04-May-21 23:15:00

My cousin's getting married at short notice and I need a dress. It's not an overly dressy wedding but I want to to look nice!

I'm size 22 (or 24 on a bad day!) and I'd usually go for Monsoon (preferably the sale) but I can't find anything there.

I'm pretty skint so I'd like to get something nice but not too expensive - possibly something that doesn't shout "wedding" so I can get good use out if it by wearing it again.

What other shops should I look in? Are there any good sales on right now?

I'm clueless and need S&B help!!

Thanks smile

OP’s posts: |
AnnieSnap Tue 04-May-21 23:31:24

Studio 8. It’s the plus size section of Phase Eight. Alternatively, I have a fabulous little dress in a 24 that I wore to a daytime wedding for a few hours, listed on ebay as we speak (it’s Studio 8).

The4teddybears Tue 04-May-21 23:44:04

Try looking on Bon Marche website (or shops) they have nice dresses in larger sizes . It can be a bit old fashioned and therefore you have to be selective . I’ve had lots of nice things , especially dresses and swimwear from there .

wanderedlonelyasacloud Tue 04-May-21 23:46:00

ASOS, they have a good curve range ime

Quitelikeacatslife Tue 04-May-21 23:49:18

Scarlett and Jo on line have lovely dresses always have discounts. I like monsoon too and have a couple of pretty ones from there. You'd have to lay out for them all for a week or so but I bought a couple to try on, returns very easy.
Got a nice lightweight jacket from Tu to dress up a dress
I also like Boden when they have an offer on

Quitelikeacatslife Tue 04-May-21 23:51:55

I'm quite tempted by this, very easy to dress up or down for after

https://www.scarlettandjo.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/pocket-dress-9?variant=39294702714927

StCharlotte Tue 04-May-21 23:57:25

I bought this in XL (I'm a 22 on top). I'm 5'5" and it's knee length on me. I bought it for work but it feels smarter so I'm considering wearing it to a wedding later in the year.

www.monsoon.co.uk/cornelli-trim-knit-dress-1469626154.html

MintyCedric Wed 05-May-21 00:03:59

I love this website for vintage style dresses...they fit really well, especially with decent underwear and I always feel really good in their stuff.

prettykittyfashion.co.uk/collections/dresses?_=pf&pf_opt_size=UK%2022

Simply Be do lots of ranges in larger sizes now. Next might be worth a try if classic/understated is more your thing, and Dorothy Perkins Curve range sometimes has some lovely dresses too.

formynexttrick Wed 05-May-21 00:33:10

Some great ideas here, thanks! I'm having a look....

formynexttrick Wed 05-May-21 00:33:39

AnnieSnap

Studio 8. It’s the plus size section of Phase Eight. Alternatively, I have a fabulous little dress in a 24 that I wore to a daytime wedding for a few hours, listed on ebay as we speak (it’s Studio 8).

Ooh, let's have a look then! smile

formynexttrick Wed 05-May-21 00:37:45

StCharlotte

I bought this in XL (I'm a 22 on top). I'm 5'5" and it's knee length on me. I bought it for work but it feels smarter so I'm considering wearing it to a wedding later in the year.

www.monsoon.co.uk/cornelli-trim-knit-dress-1469626154.html

I like this a lot, but sadly I think I'm an XXL at Monsoon these days sad

formynexttrick Wed 05-May-21 08:11:10

I'd love some more suggestions of online shops to look at if anyone has any, thanks smile

mumonthehill Wed 05-May-21 09:16:03

Violeta Mangos plus size range might be worth a look. Might not be dressy enough but some of their dresses are lovely.

herecomesthsun Wed 05-May-21 12:52:17

I'd try M and S - they have some lovely stuff in right now.

herecomesthsun Wed 05-May-21 12:55:45

or Boden clearance www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/natasha-cotton-dress-sailor-jungle-bloom/sty-w0515-blu?cat=C2_S2

formynexttrick Fri 07-May-21 18:50:39

Thanks for all the suggestions, I had a good look and ordered this from the Boden sale.

I know this shape suits me and I loved the idea of picking out one of those gorgeous colours for accessories.

It came today and it doesn't fit. sad

So the depressing news is I'm now solidly a size 24, which means loads of shops are off the list. The entire of Boden for a start sad

I've got my eye in something on eBay but it won't come good for a few days if I win it.

So, it's back to the drawing board!

formynexttrick Fri 07-May-21 18:52:49

Oh! I can't seem to upload the pics from my phone!

Here's a link instead: www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/isodora-midi-shirt-dress-black-garden-chintz-bouquet/sty-w0421-bla

Quitelikeacatslife Fri 07-May-21 21:03:11

It could be just the shape and material, I got a Boden dress Eleanor today that fits lovely but the nice colour is now out of stock.
I saw some really cute dresses in joliemoi, they sell them in John Lewis but on their own website too.

Quitelikeacatslife Fri 07-May-21 21:05:32

I love this one , Jersey too so better fabric than the Boden one

https://joliemoi.co.uk/products/frilly-neck-maxi-jersey-dress

SpeckledyHen Fri 07-May-21 21:31:40

Seasalt ?

RJnomore1 Fri 07-May-21 21:36:01

Roman originals?

ParisEncore Fri 07-May-21 21:37:24

Some nice dresses on Simply Be:

www.simplybe.co.uk/shop/c/fashion/dresses/occasion-dresses/wedding-guest/f/Sizes--24

goose1964 Fri 07-May-21 21:56:49

There are shed loads here www.jdwilliams.co.uk/shop/c/womens/dresses/f/Sizes--24/page-2

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in