Help find my fat arse find a beer garden dress?

(70 Posts)
PLAYJAJADINGDONG Fri 16-Apr-21 20:17:22

Have gained loads of weight in lockdown. I'm starting to work on getting healthier. 5'4 and currently a 14 getting towards a 16 soon if I don't get my shit together.
Pale skin, blue eyes, red hair.
Good boobs and don't mind a bit o cleavage. Legs ok but definitely want midi or maxi length. Worst area is my belly - it's just awful.

I want a comfy, floaty dress (maybe shirred?) for beer garden gatherings that WON'T make me look like a ship in full sail. To wear with flat sandals or trainers.

When I'm at my fighting weight I usually wear tea dress styles. Would describe my style as a bit alternative/true vintage/wannabe rock chick. I wear a lot of leopard print.

Criteria as below:

- No zips or button fronts - I just want to be comfortable and look ok - is that doable?!

- Midi or maxi

- Not strappy. Must have at least short sleeves, preferably elbow length. Like kimono style.

- Deep v neck preferred but also like square neck/milkmaid style.

- Like some florals/love polka dots/bit retro (NOT fancy dress 50s Lady V style)

- Like jewel tones..look good in green/blue/pink but usually just wear black (not so good for beer gardens in summer!).

- Budget up to £50

- Really not bothered about material

I have the dress in the pic and love it but it doesn't fit at the minute plus it's a bit black for summer - might give you an idea of what kind of thing I like though.

If anyone fancies a dress hunt I'll provide wine and twiglets 🍷.

OP’s posts: |
Myothercarisalsoshit Fri 16-Apr-21 20:28:04

You're really not that big you know.

LoverOfLight Fri 16-Apr-21 20:32:58

I would recommend a skater dress with a longish skirt. I wear a lot of short ones and they are both comfortable and flattering. They nip in on the bust and waist but flare out around the tummy. I have many that are a lovely shape but are basically like t shirt dresses in terms of material and design, therefore they are very comfy! smile

Theimpossiblegirl Fri 16-Apr-21 20:34:07

I posted on a similar thread about Popsy dresses and jumpsuits. I really like them- fun designs, easy to wear and pockets. No natural fabrics though, but very flattering.

LoverOfLight Fri 16-Apr-21 20:34:31

www.dorothyperkins.com/en/dpuk/product/dresses-5699972/skater-dresses-4888369/black-floral-print-shirred-midi-dress-10458770

LadyTiredWinterBottom2 Fri 16-Apr-21 20:35:13

www.newlook.com/uk/womens/clothing/dresses/yellow-seersucker-shirred-ruffle-square-neck-midi-dress/p/684573586

Not sure if this fits colour wise?

queenofthenorthwest Fri 16-Apr-21 20:38:09

What about a peplum dress?

PLAYJAJADINGDONG Fri 16-Apr-21 20:38:38

That's subjective though isn't it Myother? I'm substantially bigger than I'm used to being and I'm not at a healthy weight.

Lover I do like a skater dress, will google skater midi/maxis. Thank you.

I find that a lot of midi/maxis are smock style with the seam right under the bust - a style that does very very bad things for my stomach.

LadyTiredWinterBottom2 Fri 16-Apr-21 20:41:51

www2.hm.com/en_gb/productpage.0928853005.html

This might be a better colour choice

Theimpossiblegirl Fri 16-Apr-21 20:45:02

www.popsyclothing.co.uk/

PLAYJAJADINGDONG Fri 16-Apr-21 20:49:01

Thanks for the links 💐

impossiblegirl I'm not keen on Popsy stuff. It's a bit too cutesy for me.

LadyTired they're both lovely but not for me. I definitely need a print rather than block colour I think. Love the shape of the New Look one though. Will look for similar. Thank you.

JesusInTheCabbageVan Fri 16-Apr-21 20:49:12

Is this too short?

wanderedlonelyasacloud Fri 16-Apr-21 20:49:20

www.nastygal.com/gb/floral-print-long-tie-sleeve-midi-dress/AGG02598.html

www.nastygal.com/gb/polka-dot-print-open-back-midi-dress/AGG02936.html

www.nastygal.com/gb/polka-dot-v-neck-midi-dress/AGG79683.html

www.nastygal.com/gb/check-puff-sleeve-wrap-midi-dress/AGG03685.html

www.nastygal.com/gb/plus-size-floral-wrap-midi-dress/AGG02602.html (starts at size 16)

www.nastygal.com/gb/plus-size-polka-dot-v-neck-midi-dress/AGG02494.html (starts at size 16)

Chocolateteabag Fri 16-Apr-21 20:56:54

Asos in Orange? In sale
another asos sale with longer sleeves?

Chocolateteabag Fri 16-Apr-21 20:59:02

mustard gingham smock?

PLAYJAJADINGDONG Fri 16-Apr-21 21:08:16

wandered your first link would be perfect if it had shorter sleeves 😫 - those open ones would drive me crackers!

Jesus yeah it's too short for bare legs but it's exactly the kind of dress I would wear in winter with sheer tights and DMs.

Would buy this if it were in my size

Going through the other links now.

HappyThursdays Fri 16-Apr-21 21:13:42

Love your dress @PLAYJAJADINGDONG

I found this at John Lewis & Partners. What do you think?  https://www.johnlewis.com/joules-carla-shirt-dress-navy-spot/p5059151?tmad=c&tmcampid=7&sshare=jlappioss_Y29tLmFwcGxlLlVJS2l0LmFjdGl2aXR5LkNvcHlUb1Bhc3RlYm9hcmQ=

I found this at John Lewis & Partners. What do you think? https://www.johnlewis.com/white-stuff-rua-bird-print-shirt-dress-pink/p5287674?tmad=c&tmcampid=7&sshare=jlappioss_Y29tLmFwcGxlLlVJS2l0LmFjdGl2aXR5LkNvcHlUb1Bhc3RlYm9hcmQ=

Lb1204 Fri 16-Apr-21 21:22:00

Check out & other stories. Or the Hush Kensington dress

PLAYJAJADINGDONG Fri 16-Apr-21 21:28:56

Came across this while browsing. It wouldn't suit me but think it's really gorgeous and eye-catching. Would look great with a denim jacket and sandals in summer.

Just thought I'd link for dress enabling purposes 😃.

Back to browsing!

HandforthParishCouncilClerk Fri 16-Apr-21 21:32:39

Have a look at George at Asda - they have loads like the one you said would be perfect if it was in your size.....

CaraherEIL Fri 16-Apr-21 21:39:45

PLAYJAJADING- are you sure that dress wouldn’t suit you it’s gorgeous!!

CrystalMaisie Fri 16-Apr-21 21:44:45

I was going to suggest George at Asda as well. Cheap and cheerful but lots with a nice Deep V.

waltzingparrot Fri 16-Apr-21 21:46:46

www.johnlewis.com/jolie-moi-dixie-animal-print-twist-front-midi-dress-green/p5389560

www.johnlewis.com/phase-eight-cleo-tie-waist-dress-bright-jade/p3870099

Pinkcadillac Fri 16-Apr-21 21:59:41

Ghost has pretty dresses www.ghost.co.uk/luella-dress-blue-roses-d02g006-y97

Or Ghost at M&S www.marksandspencer.com/floral-puff-sleeve-midi-tea-dress/p/clp60507946?color=LIGHTGREENMIX

Nobody's Child at M&S www.marksandspencer.com/floral-midaxi-waisted-dress/p/clp22526072?color=GREENMIX&prevPage=srp

Kitri kitristudio.com/products/sylvie-green-polka-dot-shirt-dress

Stories has a great selection of dresses but they are probably too formal www.stories.com/en_gbp/clothing/dresses/printed-dresses.html

MrsS92 Fri 16-Apr-21 22:00:45

www.asos.com/wednesdays-girl/wednesdays-girl-midi-smock-dress-in-smudge-spot-print/prd/14909584?colourwayid=16653932&SearchQuery=wednesday%27s+girl+clothing
dlsb.co.uk/collections/clothing/products/tiers-are-falling-blue-black-printed-midi-dress
www.ikrush.com/sue-printed-midi-dress-pink
I’ve been looking for similar, I want a midi dress that I can wear with my docs and a leather jacket when it’s chillier or sandals for warmer days.
My shape has changed since having my youngest and I have no idea what looks right anymore!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in