Talk

Advanced search

REALLY warm coat for walking the dog in winter

(84 Posts)
Literallynoidea Fri 20-Nov-20 14:38:24

What are you all wearing/buying to stay warm outdoors?

OP’s posts: |
trumpisaflump Fri 20-Nov-20 15:01:54

Didrikson coats are the best coats ever. Completely waterproof and so cosy. I’m in Scotland and feel so cosy walking the dog in winter. I have about 4 of them and they are totally worth the money.

Literallynoidea Fri 20-Nov-20 16:59:23

Thank you @trump, I have heard of them so will investigate. Much appreciated.

NeedingCoffee Fri 20-Nov-20 17:06:41

I have a “floor to ceiling” landsend coat which is bloody brilliant when the weather is absolutely awful. It is warm as toast and comes down far enough that it covers the top of wellies so driving rain doesn’t get it. It isn’t remotely stylish, but I am happy to dog walk in absolutely anything when wearing it and I’m a person who really feels the cold.

LightOfAThousandStars Fri 20-Nov-20 17:08:20

North Face Arctic Parka is supposed to be very warm and waterproof

KizzyKat91 Fri 20-Nov-20 17:12:08

If you’re looking for a cheaper option, I bought one of these (at 50% off) as a last resort when I’d lost my usual dog walking coat:
www.regatta.com/women-s-rimona-waterproof-insulated-hooded-parka-jacket-darkest-spruce/

It’s amazing! Warmer and more waterproof than any other coat I’ve had.

SpaceOp Fri 20-Nov-20 17:17:12

I have been wearing a Trespass coat for dog walking for the last few years and it has transformed the experience for me, while also not being too expensive.

Highfalutinlootin Fri 20-Nov-20 17:27:52

My Canada Goose parka is the warmest and most snow/rainproof I've ever had. They last for years and are very well made.

CatchingWind Fri 20-Nov-20 17:34:32

Lands' End massive coat. Lacks style, but is so warm I don't care.

mogtheexcellent Fri 20-Nov-20 17:53:59

Lands end squall coat. I buy at 70% off in the summer. Not super stylish but not offensive on the eye either.

OhCobblers Fri 20-Nov-20 18:01:02

I love my Barbour though it's very "country". Would love a Canada goose though!

Literallynoidea Sun 22-Nov-20 09:17:23

Thank you all. I am still slightly baulking at the price of the Didriksons I like the look of, plus the fact it's a lot of money for something I can't even try on.

So I shall look at all your suggestions!

ThriceThriceThice Sun 22-Nov-20 17:26:09

I bought a thick Uniqlo down coat for dog walking about 5 years ago and it's been perfect. Lots of pockets, super warm, washable. It's not worth spending a fortune on something that will get muddy and slobbered on daily.

Pacif1cDogwood Sun 22-Nov-20 17:27:17

Another vote for Land's End Squall coat - unbeaten!

NottinghamFlorest Mon 23-Nov-20 16:21:16

Highfalutinlootin

My Canada Goose parka is the warmest and most snow/rainproof I've ever had. They last for years and are very well made.

Not exactly the kindest company though, are they... isn't it real fur?

Spongebobsquarefringe Mon 23-Nov-20 16:27:18

direct.asda.com/george/women/coats-jackets/ozark-black-faux-fur-trim-waterproof-hooded-parka/GEM760159,default,pd.html?cgid=D1M1G20C6

Very warm and dry

MichelleofzeResistance Mon 23-Nov-20 16:30:41

Another vote for Barbour. Love mine, its the warmest of my coats.

CMOTDibbler Mon 23-Nov-20 16:43:17

Lands End Stadium Squall - its super long, waterproof, and warm. I got mine on Ebay second hand, so although I wouldn't have chosen the colour, the dogs don't mind

CarrieMoonbeams Mon 23-Nov-20 17:01:38

I'm all about the parka - I alternate between a Barbour quilted one, and a Jack Wolfskin one. Both excellent.

AnotherFuckingUsername Mon 23-Nov-20 20:16:21

@Literallynoidea - I'm in Scotland and need something for rain and warmth. I retired my old Didriksons after 10 years as it was starting to look tired (although nothing wrong with the warmth/waterproofing). Replaced it with another Didriksons and a Lansend 'floor to ceiling' mentioned above (waterproof, feather filled, wind proof and long enough me at 5'11''). Both great and both were discounted heavily. Look out for previous versions of the Didrikson's style you like and you may get a bargain (if not an exact match to the link) (which is gorgeous!).

Temporarything Mon 23-Nov-20 20:19:32

Second the Asda Ozark. Cheap, warm and waterproof. As good as anything twice the price.

GreyishDays Mon 23-Nov-20 20:20:18

I made a list of the warmest Didriksons (they have a Heat rating) and then found which was cheapest on Amazon. I think it was a last year’s model, but it was ‘only’ about £110. Worth trying that approach. Other places also have the reduced. Like Cotswold I think.

GreyishDays Mon 23-Nov-20 20:20:35

*them

CommanderBurnham Mon 23-Nov-20 20:49:03

I love my north face Arctic.

hellymissy Mon 23-Nov-20 20:55:08

I just bought an amazing puffer jacket from Hobbs

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in