Talk

Advanced search

Any recommendations for a semi permanent henna

(13 Posts)
BlueOceanWave Tue 17-Nov-20 15:32:44

Does anyone have any recommendations for a semi permanent henna cream/hair dye?

I used a henna a few weeks ago but it was closer to my natural hair colour/brown. I liked it. There wasn't a big change. I definitely noticed a vibrant result with my hair. No body else would notice it but that's OK. I used a brand that was called Reflex (I think).

I wasn't to go for something a little bit more bold and vibrant. I want to go for a red or a copper. The brand that I bought a few weeks ago doesn't have a copper colour.

I'm apprehensive going for a permanent colour.

OP’s posts: |
BeBraveAndBeKind Tue 17-Nov-20 18:00:09

I've been using block henna from Lush for a few years now. It comes in several different colours including a bright red and a browny red. The final colour will depend on your natural colour though. I apply it, cover it with cling film and a towel and leave it for as long as I can stand it (it does make your head feel quite hot and heavy!) and then rinse it out with conditioner rather than shampooing. The condition locks the colour in longer and leaves it in really good condition. It gradually fades out.

Lellochip Tue 17-Nov-20 18:07:10

There's no such thing as semi-permanent henna, it's about as permanent as it comes, and can be impossible to remove. I absolutely adore the copper colour you get from henna, used it myself for years, but if you're apprehensive about permanent I don't think henna is the way to go

AnnaMagnani Tue 17-Nov-20 21:30:54

Lush henna is lovely but very much permanent.

It does give an amazing colour and you can modify it by mixing between the colours available - there are loads of Youtube videos on it - so you end up with something a bit more subtle.

The coating on your hair leaves it with a permanent shine and fantastic condition - but that and the colour will be there until it grows out.

Cheesypea Tue 17-Nov-20 21:34:27

I used to buy it from the local aisian supermarket. I find them all pretty similar.

Craftycorvid Tue 17-Nov-20 23:04:45

As pp have said, there is no such thing as semi-permanent henna. If you don’t like it, you have to wait for it to fade/grow out. I have hennaed my (increasingly grey) hair for years so its colour is layered henna. If you are committed to red tones in your hair, go for it! Henna leaves your hair is lovely condition. I love the way it makes my greys into bright highlights.

BlueOceanWave Tue 17-Nov-20 23:40:55

But this is a henna cream and it describes itself as semi permanent. Unfortunately this brand doesnt have the colour I'm looking for.

OP’s posts: |
Lellochip Wed 18-Nov-20 00:59:10

It could be that when it's mixed with lots of other ingredients it doesn't stick as well, but I'd just bear in mind that it might never fully fade etc. The other risk with these boxed henna dyes is that some of them contain metallic salts that will then possibly react with any normal hair dye used later on. You'll find most hairdressers will panic at the mention of henna, and refuse to do any chemical treatments like dyes or perms until it's grown out.

I don't know much about the specific brand you used, but Lush henna is definitely safe for this though, as is if you buy pure henna powder.

Is there any reason you're after henna particularly? You can probably find a nice demi-permanent red in a 'normal' dye, thought it would depend on what your natural shade is.

bendmeoverbackwards Wed 18-Nov-20 16:49:53

Watching with interest.

I tried the Lush henna a while back but it was so messy! Are there others that are easier to use?

Lellochip Wed 18-Nov-20 21:00:46

It's all messy, but I found just pure henna powder to be easier. You can just mix it with water, which is miles easier than trying to cut/smash/grate the lush blocks down so you can melt them. You can mix different powders in too, in different proportions to adjust the colour, in the same way lush have the different versions, red & black etc

bendmeoverbackwards Thu 19-Nov-20 16:52:50

Thank you @Lellochip I remembered I bought some henna powder from Ebay ages ago and haven't got round to using it yet! Do you apply to damp hair?

Lellochip Thu 19-Nov-20 17:51:08

I don't think it really matters dry or damp hair, I mainly put it on dry so it was easier to spot any bits I'd not covered, but I'm sure I've put it on damp hair sometimes too.

bendmeoverbackwards Thu 19-Nov-20 17:53:38

Thanks, putting it on dry hair is easier otherwise it's in and out the shower!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in